UK - 25 emergency workers stand by and watch a man drown

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Tuffy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106423/Simon-Burgess-body-floats-Walpole-Park-pond-emergency-workers-stand-watch.html

2. ~greeneyedgirl~

~greeneyedgirl~ Active Member

That doesn't seem right at all... If I was ordered not to help someone I'm pretty darn sure I would anyway.

Is there a link to this article ?

3. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

Agreed! I think I would have a harder time standing there and NOT helping. I mean, couldn't someone at least go and hold his head out of the water? :what:

btw - thank you. I fixed the link in my post!

4. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

Have people lost the ability to think for themselves?
    They have to wait for orders-really?!!!

5. SwampMama

SwampMama Insomniac Extraordinaire

Wow, just ... wow. I work with our local fire department and this is just appalling. Certainly we are taught that our personal safety is to be considered first but this is ridiculous. I'm afraid I would have had to disobey orders and just go for it and deal with the consequences later.
    I am very proud of Mr. Swamp who will continue with body recovery missions even when the other agencies have called off the search. He will gas up his boat and take the week off of work and do what he can to bring that person home to their family.

6. not_my_kids

not_my_kids New Member

Yeah, tell me I have to watch someone die because otherwise I might face charges or be fired?

Fine, bring on the handcuffs and McDonald's applications, I'm going in anyway. Free will? Human nature? Compassion? Anyone else ever heard of these things?

7. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

Sounds like the same fear they said about the Chinese who ignored a toddler who was hit by three trucks and left to die in the street. That still haunts me. Just absolutely horrible way to treat other human beings.

8. Quiche

Quiche Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the firefighters who were ordered to let one home burn down as they extinguished the next door neighbor's... because the one hadn't paid their "fees." Grrrr, we are sliding backwards into ineptness or callousness, I can't decide which is in the lead.

Come on, one of these not-so-quickwitted guys should have just said, "I'm taking the rest of the day off to tend to a personal emergency," then waded in there, retrieved the man, and started the CPR that would have saved his life. The compensation is simple: feeling good about yourself.

Sheesh, wth. :cool:

9. Lilachaze

Lilachaze New Member

This is health and safety gone mad! They didn't think of the health and safety of that poor man did they?