UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still do feel some sympathy for his mother although I understand why people are angry at the interview she gave. There was not one single mention of Alesha or her family in it and she comes across as quite oblivious, whether intentionally or not.

However I will say, I watched an interview with Sue Klebold (the mother of one of the Columbine killers) and I felt very sorry for the poor woman. She's still clearly tormented by it to this day and it must be a very hard reality facing up to the fact that the child you raised and loved is capable of such cruelty. It must feel like the biggest failure as a parent (that is if the parent has any

Personally, I think it is better to have it revealed. There will be 15 minutes of articles and then he will fade away into obscurity, which will be a welcome relief to Alesha's family.
If it is not revealed now, then we face months of speculation, hinting, etc and it will keep the story alive and bring even more pain to Alesha's family. And then, when he turns 18, if it is revealed, the whole story will resurface, just as the family are trying to get back to some sort of normality and peace
( not that I think they ever will be able to ).

Re his sister - I very much doubt it will reveal her identity.

I can’t dispute what you say re the feeding frenzy being over sooner rather than later. I don’t know if you have information to suggest the sister is protected in some way, I hope so.

I hate that our media is such a cesspit that having to consider whether their stories come out now or in the future is a consideration in law

Lorna Gordon‏Verified account @bbclornag 14m14 minutes ago

Hearing has started into application by media outlets, BBC and others, to name the 16 year-old who raped and murdered Alesha McPhail.

Lorna Gordon‏Verified account @bbclornag 5m5 minutes ago

Argument advanced that statutory protection stops at the age of 18 so anonymity in law for 16 year-old only has 15 months to run.

Lorna Gordon‏Verified account @bbclornag 4m4 minutes ago

Also that name of 16 year-old murderer of Alesha McPhail in the public domain on social media : Facebook, Twitter, already

I'm expecting the Judge to say he will go away and think about it and make his decision just before or on the day of sentencing, March 21
I disagree. I think a decision will be reached, and announced, today. Too many hints via media regarding where his father works, where he was born, etc. Coupled with the fact it’s all over social media. I think the judge will be most concerned that there will be random attacks in cases of mistaken identity.

I saw one person on Twitter claiming he had found the guilty’s Facebook profile and inviting others to access it. We know for a fact that he has no current Facebook profile, so this was an innocent person (with the same name as the accused) who is being potentially targeted now.

If it is left too long, the rumours will grow and only a matter of time before there’s a vigilante attack in the making.

I disagree. I think a decision will be reached, and announced, today. Too many hints via media regarding where his father works, where he was born, etc. Coupled with the fact it’s all over social media. I think the judge will be most concerned that there will be random attacks in cases of mistaken identity.

I saw one person on Twitter claiming he had found the guilty’s Facebook profile and inviting others to access it. We know for a fact that he has no current Facebook profile, so this was an innocent person (with the same name as the accused) who is being potentially targeted now.

If it is left too long, the rumours will grow and only a matter of time before there’s a vigilante attack in the making.

good point - that sways me to thinking it will be done today

Some people are a tad dense. I hope the innocent people being targeted are okay and it gets cleared up quickly. What exactly would sending an angry message to his Facebook page do though, even if it was still up? He won't see it. He's behind bars. I don't understand.

Judges always very guarded about setting any sort of precedent....

Any history of naming under scottish law?

Some people are a tad dense. I hope the innocent people being targeted are okay and it gets cleared up quickly. What exactly would leaving an angry message on his Facebook page do though, even if it was still up? He won't see it. He's behind bars. I don't understand.

There are still folk blaming a certain group on the Isle of Bute, hopefully, his naming will remove any doubt.

Folk were leaving comments on his youtube videos. Pointless.

Some people are a tad dense. I hope the innocent people being targeted are okay and it gets cleared up quickly. What exactly would sending an angry message to his Facebook page do though, even if it was still up? He won't see it. He's behind bars. I don't understand.

Sadly they are and no amount of explaining by another person, with the same name, that they are not the murderer, has any effect.

There are still folk blaming a certain group on the Isle of Bute, hopefully, his naming will remove any doubt.

Oh no I totally understand that. I know there are certain bigoted people who couldn't wait for the chance to blame it on refugees. I agree with the anonymity ban being lifted, I'm just wondering what leaving angry messages on a Facebook profile of a person behind bars will accomplish. I've seen it done before and it just baffles me slightly because they won't see it.

Oh no I totally understand that. I know there are certain bigoted people who couldn't wait for the chance to blame it on refugees. I agree with the anonymity ban being lifted, I'm just wondering what leaving angry messages on a Facebook profile of a person behind bars will accomplish. I've seen it done before and it just baffles me slightly because they won't see it.

Exactly, its a pointless thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members