GUILTY UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #4

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Legally Bland, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtiger

wtiger Like a poundland Elvis

...wtiger shuffles away muttering to himself!

2. bos

bos Well-Known Member

Cue special defence of “that’s not my client’s real name” or some such:rolleyes:

3. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Decision today I think, but if yes to lifting the anonymity, then the reveal will be challenged for sure by the Defence - so likely the reveal will be on sentencing day

4. LittleMystery

LittleMystery Well-Known Member

That’s what happens when you end up in jail for killing little children. Unfortunately for him, he is going to be a target as people inside will want the notoriety that will come with getting to him first.

But nothing is secret in there. They will probably already know more about him than we do.

5. Bluedaisy100

Bluedaisy100 Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that his over confidence and boastful nature, which is what sunk him in the end, is from having a history of talking his way out of trouble. Getting in trouble officially at home and school is what marks that a person needs to be watched. This lack of publicly known history protects him. It's in the public interest for him to be named as he will be in the near future anyway.

6. neteditor

neteditor Well-Known Member

Sorry this is going back a bit, I am catching up.

As an ex national press reporter I can confirm that is absolutely how things operate. The story is the one the editor wants, regardless of anything else (including facts sometimes). A very large part of my reason for being an ex!

I'd be surprised if she was paid anything at all for the story, that's not as common as people think. And if she did get paid it wouldn't be a lot. Especially if it was a press agency who got the interview. She might have got a hundred or two to agree to an exclusive if the Sun got to her first.

7. TaylorCallum

TaylorCallum Well-Known Member

Can I ask why it takes 4 weeks to pass a sentence? Does the judge really need that long to decide?

HayLouise, Yenriac and Edinlass like this.
  8. Taskforce88

Taskforce88 Well-Known Member

I mentioned 4 weeks because that will be the time whenhe gets sentenced, so it would fit in with him getting named too.

HayLouise, Yenriac and TaylorCallum like this.
  9. TaylorCallum

Oh yes sorry, that's what I mean. I'm talking about his overall sentencing. I'm not sure why it takes a month.

10. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Have seen it before in Scotland. Seems to be the normal time frame for them. No idea why.

11. Bustia

Bustia Well-Known Member

It’s for background reports on the accused.

12. Bustia

Bustia Well-Known Member

Sorry guilty party, force of habit.

13. Taskforce88

In this case its to allow for background checks, some of which may take a while to come in.

14. TaylorCallum

The Sun seemed to have found them out in about a day. Maybe the court should get their advice.

Obviously just joking but yeah I understand, just seems a little long.

gc105, Thistlegirl, Kasmeer and 7 others like this.
  15. Taskforce88

Very true lol

16. Meeky

Meeky Member

ADHD doesn't make teens go out and rape and murder! It's irrelevant to his case here I feel. As for the self harming, who is to know whether he got a "kick" out of this since he seems to have done with his horrific crime and the alleged incidents with defenceless animals.

angeldust, Legally Bland and Edinlass like this.
  17. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

:D

TaylorCallum and Meeky like this.
  18. bos

bos Well-Known Member

The chances are that the judge has other cases to sit on, there are background reports to wait for (psychological/social work etc);mitigating factors to be entered by defence;aggravating factors to be entered by the prosecution alongside statute books of previous rulings for similar crimes. The judge wants to minimise appeals for sentence being unduly harsh so will have to make things as watertight as possible

19. Bustia

Bustia Well-Known Member

Those aren’t confirmed as fact, it’s also about gauging risk of reoffending. They use social workers etc they will look into his past plus interview him and try and get a clear picture before sentencing. Hopefully in this case it will help get an extremely long sentence.

20. stephaniejanes

stephaniejanes Well-Known Member

Correct. Social workers will assess risk of reoffending and risk of harm. The defence will submit mitigating factors, and the crown aggravating factors. The judge will then refer to past precedent and come to an informed decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.