UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -teen arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you all mean that the driving age is 17, but a disabled person can drive at 16? Also there are so many tweets when i search her name. Can someone give me a better way to search to find out info on the suspect?

I know this system sounds crazy without context... (I'm reluctant to comment in fear of causing offence of ANY kind, so please take what I say as assumption only, and other Sleuthers feel free to correct me!)

From what I know (UK resident), it's borne of two factors. There are different disability allowances for those under 16, and over 16. Those under 16 receive a 'Disability Living Allowance' (given to parents or guardians to help with care of their child), those 16 to 64, receive something called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) directly - this PIP payment can used by the recipient themselves, against costs which aid with everyday life (i.e. driving lessons).

Secondly, it's assumed that that those with a disability would benefit far greater from being able to 'get around' with the help of a vehicle, especially as they approach the age of independence. Whereas, able-bodied children/young adults can more easily use public transport, walk etc. Please note, we're talking physical, not mental, disability.

As an aside, it also generally takes longer to learn to drive a mobility vehicle, than a traditional car.

Again, PLEASE do not take offence - this is my understanding only! - and may help some of the confusion.

All being said, most likely not relevant to this case at all - I just wanted to add some clarity to the fact being stated.

Now I’ve never been arrested, but am i right in thinking the police only get an extended 12 hours. So tonight they either have to release the suspect or charge him. I’m assuming we are already on the extended 12 hours.

Did Alesha see or find something she wasn't meant to? Just a hunch. Post mortem took 7 hours apparently so makes me think cause of death not glaringly clear to see. Just speculating, I know nothing but have watched post mortem and relatively quick.

I think a forensic PM is different to a normal one. More tests and there will have been a few police officers there to oversee it, seize samples/tissues etc.

Now I’ve never been arrested, but am i right in thinking the police only get an extended 12 hours. So tonight they either have to release the suspect or charge him. I’m assuming we are already on the extended 12 hours.
According to this it's 12 + 24:

If you're suspected of a crime but haven't been charged yet, the police can hold you for up to 12 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.

The police can extend this to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if a senior police officer agrees to this.

Being arrested in Scotland - mygov.scot

I don’t know about in Scotland, but England is 24hrs then a higher ranking officer is able to extend.

They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours, if you're suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.

Teenager charged in connection with death of Alesha MacPhail
Published 16:30

Police Scotland can confirm that a 16-year-old male youth has this afternoon been charged in connection with the death of six year-old Alesha MacPhail, whose body was discovered on Monday morning. He remains in custody and is expected to appear at Greenock Sheriff Court tomorrow.

Detective Superintendent Stuart Houston said, “I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank Alesha's family who have shown incredible bravery through what has been an unimaginable ordeal during these past few days.

“I'd also like to thank local people for all their support and assistance during this major investigation on the island. The response to our appeals was significant both from those living here and the wider community of Scotland.

“The people of the Isle of Bute have rallied together since Alesha was first reported missing on Monday morning and I would stress that social media speculation relating to members of the community is both misleading and inaccurate.

“The family has also received considerable support from Alesha’s home town of Airdrie which was reflected in the memorial service held at her school.

“Officers and staff from across Police Scotland and the Scottish Police Authority have been involved in what has been a difficult and challenging investigation during which they have worked tirelessly to bring us to where we are today.

“As I have said previously, incidents such as this are extremely rare and while the police investigation will continue, I hope that today's announcement brings some reassurance to everyone in the local community.

"It is understandable that recent events will have shocked communities across Scotland, no more so than on Bute and in Airdrie. Argyll and Bute and North Lanarkshire councils have services available for those who may have been affected.

Teenager charged in connection with death of Alesha MacPhail - Police Scotland

IAm
#BREAKING: Police have charged a 16-year-old male with the murder of six-year-old Alesha MacPhail

ETA : the DS definately said charged in connection with, so I think the journo is using the wrong wording
<snipped broken quote>

By that wording ie. not saying "charged with the murder" could that mean they they believe or only have evidence it wasnt premeditated, could of been an accident etc. As we dont know any postmortem results its difficult to know. I thought any social media information came from the family but I'm aware this can not be discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member