UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

''An angry smoker at a local pub may have been involved in the unsolved doorstep murder of Nairn banker Alistair Wilson, a new tv documentary is set to claim.

Wilson was shot three times at point black range outside his home, near Inverness. But despite the ensuing investigation being one of the biggest ever undertaken in Scotland, 18 years on, the case remains unsolved.

''The docudrama 'Murder on the Doorstep' hopes to offer insights into the crime, which happened after Wilson, 30, was given an envelope with the name 'Paul' written on it by a mystery man at the door.''

We've interviewed a lot of people who were in that pub that night. There was a level of conversation within the pub being upset towards Alistair complaining about it and the potential that it could be taken away.

"We want to find out if, during that weekend, anybody was making any threats.

"Was anybody speaking disproportionately about taking action against Alistair, demonstrating a level of real concern that would suggest Alistair may well be coming to harm at some point in the future?''

Will watch this to see if any new light is thrown on the case. Be interesting to see if they attempt to tie the various bits together including the infamous envelope.

Having a think about this, if it was someone who was a regular in tbe pub a few bits of the puzzle may fall in to place.

Could the envelope have been given to AW in order for him to write something withdrawing his objection to the decking planning?

Also it might explain why AW went back outside to see if tbe caller was still there. If it was someone from the pub then he had every reason to think he may still be around. Similarly the killer may not have specifically been waiting for AW but just sitting outside the pub. I don't think we know exactly where the killer was when AW went back outside. Whether right outside AWs property or a bit further away? We only know he was there somewhere.

The pub is very close to the Wilsons house. If AW when he went back outside then refused to withdraw his objection that may have prompted the violence?

as a matter of interest, has channel 5 changed its frequency or something....could receive it last week, but not now

''An angry smoker at a local pub may have been involved in the unsolved doorstep murder of Nairn banker Alistair Wilson, a new tv documentary is set to claim.

Wilson was shot three times at point black range outside his home, near Inverness. But despite the ensuing investigation being one of the biggest ever undertaken in Scotland, 18 years on, the case remains unsolved.

''The docudrama 'Murder on the Doorstep' hopes to offer insights into the crime, which happened after Wilson, 30, was given an envelope with the name 'Paul' written on it by a mystery man at the door.''

We've interviewed a lot of people who were in that pub that night. There was a level of conversation within the pub being upset towards Alistair complaining about it and the potential that it could be taken away.

"We want to find out if, during that weekend, anybody was making any threats.

"Was anybody speaking disproportionately about taking action against Alistair, demonstrating a level of real concern that would suggest Alistair may well be coming to harm at some point in the future?''
That documentary that's on tomorrow night is nothing more than a retailing of the crime, it's not an investigation and it won't offer anything I can assure you. My wife worked on this case for 7 years

Yes - you would expect the police to draw up a list of local registered gun-owners very soon after the murder even if he didn't receive a 'knock-on-the-door'; but it seems from what the press has quoted the police as saying they have only very recently become aware of him. This might

Be crazy after all the theories (some wild) and speculation, if it’s something as “minor” as a planning dispute?

Although someone with guns and who presumably has mental health issues to react like this , would be on the radar immediately??
It certainly wasn't a hit that's for sure.
Hi guys just an update with regards to the current case. I stay near Nairn <modsnip> I believe that an arrest could imminent
Define imminent?

Oct 1 2022
View attachment 370578
''Now the BBC have reported that the police have a new suspect in their sights:

“We have decided not to name the man at this stage in case it affects the police investigation. What we can say is that he lived in Nairn at the time of the murder, and worked for the emergency services. He’s linked to Andy Burnet on social media. Neighbours have said he was a regular drinker at the Havelock. Two of them also said he kept guns in the house, in a locked gun safe, as he would be required to do under a licence. When Alistair was murdered, police said the gunman was 30–40 years old. They recently changed that age description; it’s now 20–40. At the time of the murder, this man was 20. Someone who knew him told the BBC he was a decent guy, and certainly wasn’t stocky, which was also a key part of the description of the killer.”
A regular at the pub yet neither Alistair or his wife knew him? This looks like media bollocks to me.

Having a think about this, if it was someone who was a regular in tbe pub a few bits of the puzzle may fall in to place.

Could the envelope have been given to AW in order for him to write something withdrawing his objection to the decking planning?

Also it might explain why AW went back outside to see if tbe caller was still there. If it was someone from the pub then he had every reason to think he may still be around. Similarly the killer may not have specifically been waiting for AW but just sitting outside the pub. I don't think we know exactly where the killer was when AW went back outside. Whether right outside AWs property or a bit further away? We only know he was there somewhere.

The pub is very close to the Wilsons house. If AW when he went back outside then refused to withdraw his objection that may have prompted the violence?
We only know that there was a blank piece of paper in the blue envelope with 'Paul' written on it from AW's wife as the killer took it with him, so presumably they discussed it when AW went back in the house. I'm surprised that it has taken until now for the planning link to be a new lead. You would have thought any disputes the Wilson's were involved in would have been looked at from day one. As for PAUL, perhaps it was actually PA&L - Planning Application & Licensing.

I agree, AW going back out to say 'get lost' could have been the trigger, which was why he wasn't shot when he first came to the door, the murder not being Plan A.

We only know that there was a blank piece of paper in the blue envelope with 'Paul' written on it from AW's wife as the killer took it with him, so presumably they discussed it when AW went back in the house. I'm surprised that it has taken until now for the planning link to be a new lead. You would have thought any disputes the Wilson's were involved in would have been looked at from day one. As for PAUL, perhaps it was actually PA&L - Planning Application & Licensing.

I agree, AW going back out to say 'get lost' could have been the trigger, which was why he wasn't shot when he first came to the door, the murder not being Plan A.

I like your thinking. Surely any disputes would only really have affected the owners and/or brewery at the time?

From The Express article quoted above:

People were invested in this decking. People who attended that pub helped build it. They took a lot of pride in it.

I hadn’t heard about this level of involvement with the decking before. It puts a different perspective on it for me. Men angry about the smoking ban, building their own wee place to get round it, then being denied by the (relatively well-to-do) man across the road. Yes, I can quite see an unstable individual, buoyed by pub talk, deciding to “sort him out” :oops: And also people keeping quiet about it afterwards, worried about their potential complicity in the offence. “Incitement to Violence” or “Conspiracy to commit violence” etc. depending on what had actually been discussed.

Having watched the documentary last night a few further thoughts.

At the end when they were talking about the decking I thought the narrator made a comment that when it was discussed in the pub, amongst the general unhappiness someone made a threat against AW. Did anyone else catch that bit?

The elephant in the room for me if it was someone in the pub then there would be a good chance either AW or VW would recognise them. Apparantly neither of them had a clue who it was. It would also almost certainly mean others in the pub would have a good idea what happened.

I didn't think the documentary was clear enough about the actual doorstep encounter. They made it look like it all happened in a couple of minutes. Didn't mention AW only went back outside after discussing it all with VW and still beng confused what is was all about. Documentary made it look like he was always going back.

I agree there was more details about the decking and that several people were "invested" in it. More than we'd been told before.

Also given AW discussed it all with VW, wouldn't she know it was about the decking to begin with? They mentioned the envelope as a distraction technique but didn't say if that was the case it would be unlikely the caller would have let AW go back in to his house

I haven't been able. to see the programme....I. guess. the theory is not completely impossible, but it seems a bit wonky to me.
having said that, we have 2 staff rooms where I work and I remember. the poisonous atmosphere. when it was decided not to allow smoking. in one of them....no disrespect to any smokers. reading this..but. I did wonder if punches would be thrown at one point and I. work in what is normally an even tempered environment

That documentary that's on tomorrow night is nothing more than a retailing of the crime, it's not an investigation and it won't offer anything I can assure you. My wife worked on this case for 7 years
That is really interesting that your wife was involved in the case. Can you shed anymore light on the envelope? Was there more than just the name "Paul" written on it?

That is really interesting that your wife was involved in the case. Can you shed anymore light on the envelope? Was there more than just the name "Paul" written on it

I agree, AW going back out to say 'get lost' could have been the trigger, which was why he wasn't shot when he first came to the door, the murder not being Plan A.thr

The Police have never stated that there was a blank piece of paper inside the envelope, do you have a source close to the case who knows this piece of information?

That is really interesting that your wife was involved in the case. Can you shed anymore light on the envelope? Was there more than just the name "Paul" written on it

The Police have never stated that there was a blank piece of paper inside the envelope, do you have a source close to the case who knows this piece of information?
I thought it was said it was a blank piece of paper in the TV documentary. If it wasn't blank then perhaps it was a typed retraction of his objections for him to sign. You'd think the wife would know what was in it as she obviously saw the envelope.

I thought it was said it was a blank piece of paper in the TV documentary. If it wasn't blank then perhaps it was a typed retraction of his objections for him to sign. You'd think the wife would know what was in it as she obviously saw the envelope.
No I never picked up on this, I'm sure in the documentary it only said that the envelope was empty and the name Paul was on the front of it.

No I never picked up on this, I'm sure in the documentary it only said that the envelope was empty and the name Paul was on the front of it.
Well a blank piece of paper or nothing at all is still an envelope empty of content. I do question whether the envelope had PAUL on it or a similar looking acronym re planning and licensing. Did the wife actually see inside the envelope or was she told that it was empty by her husband? An empty envelope makes no sense at all. The killer could never be sure that AW would return to the doorstep so why was he handed an empty envelope, if it was empty, and was not shot at the first encounter? There must have been something in the envelope to provoke AW to return to the doorstep with it in hand. A significance that led the killer to commit the murder on second encounter and retrieve the envelope from a dying AW.

It wouldn't be the first time that an incomer into a close knit community, whose only been there 5 minutes, sticks their oar into local business and ends up being attacked in one form or another.

Last edited:
Well a blank piece of paper or nothing at all is still an envelope empty of content. I do question whether the envelope had PAUL on it or a similar looking acronym re planning and licensing. Did the wife actually see inside the envelope or was she told that it was empty by her husband? An empty envelope makes no sense at all. The killer could never be sure that AW would return to the doorstep so why was he handed an empty envelope, if it was empty, and was not shot at the first encounter? There must have been something in the envelope to provoke AW to return to the doorstep with it in hand. A significance that led the killer to commit the murder on second encounter and retrieve the envelope from a dying AW.

It wouldn't be the first time that an incomer into a close knit community, whose only been there 5 minutes, sticks their oar into local business and ends up being attacked in one form or another.
I can't remember what the documentary said but PAUL or whatever it was had been written on the back of the envelope not the front. Which just makes things even odder.

The official line has been that it was only after discussing everything with Veronica that AW still being confused decided to go back outside and see if the caller was still there. This means originally there was no intention to return with or without the envelope. Again this just confuses things further. Why did the caller hang around having no expectation of seeing AW again? What was the point of the envelope if AW had no idea what it was about?

AW could have stayed in the house or gone back without the envelope or Veronica could have gone instead. Logically you'd think AW knew what it was about and was always going back out and that's why the caller hung around and that the caller was confident he would do so. But that's the opposite of the official version of events.

The police have never revealed the details of the conversation between AW and VW other than to say the envelope was discussed. Everything we know about the envelope comes from Veronica. It's always been a problem that whatever way you look at the official version of what happened it just doesn't make any sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back