UK UK - Baldock, Herts, WhtFem, 17-25, hit by car on A1, Afghan coat, Feb'75

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by dotr, Feb 11, 2016.

1. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ld-cases-from-the-Missing-Persons-Bureau.html
    The Girl in the Afghan Coat

A GIRL wearing a brown Afghan coat was found by the side of the A1 near Hertfordshire in 1975 after being struck by a lorry.

04_08022330_26c611_2678174a.jpg
    05_08022330_58cf97_2678175a.jpg

2. Loading...

3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

They thought this case was very close to being solved in 2010, but she has yet to be positively identified.imo.

http://www.thecomet.net/news/police_closer_to_identifying_woman_killed_near_stotfold_1_652558

4. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-34737343
    England's unclaimed dead and the people trying to give them a name
    By Laurence Cawley BBC News

25 January 2016

5. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

This must have been bugging the police, they have got quite a lot of info to go on really.

I found her missingpersons page http://missingpersons.police.uk/en/case/06-023864

She was wearing a LOT of clothes - jeans, 2 blouses, a dress and a waistcoat under her Aghan coat and scarf. It also mentioned age 4-5 year tights (this can't be right, she was 5'4"!)

6. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link!
    Very strange that she wore all those clothes and yet apparently no shoes , unless- horrible thought- they got stuck in the undercarriage of one of the vehicles that hit her, poor girl. imo.
    From the link..

7. zelda_s

zelda_s New Member

I layer up like that - she wasn't wearing a ridiculous amount, especially For the uk! I'm currently wearing pantyhose, jeans, and 2 sweaters. This case is certainly odd. The uk doesn't have many UID cases

8. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

542 unidentifieds on that site, many of those are from decades ago when DNA testing didn't exist. Fortunately these days the majority get ID'd fairly swiftly.

9. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

But she was found on 18th February. I'd expect her to be wearing multiple layers of clothes in what can be the coldest month of the year.

I'm more surprised that I've seen no mention of a rucksack with personal stuff such as spare clothing, hairbrush, toothbrush and suchlike with or near the body. And if she was a foreigner, where is her passport?

Come to think of it, if no shoes or handbag/rucksack was found then perhaps she had escaped from a vehicle, leaving her belongings behind.

10. alreetlike

alreetlike All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -

I think this is a likely suggestion. IMO she was in a vehicle, something went south and she bailed without her shoes and belongings, then was trying to walk to safety when she was killed. If she had been intending to travel some distance when she set off, she may have been wearing so many layers not only for warmth, but because it was easier to carry them that way.

11. LadyN

LadyN Member

The multiple layers in February are not that unusual IMHO. However the lack of shoes and handbag/rucksack etc. are puzzling, I'm wondering if she was hitchiking and kicked off her shoes in a vehicle to sleep, then for whatever reason, had to make a hasty exit without retrieving her personal things.
    EDIT: It seems we are thinking along the same lines!!

12. MelmothTheLost

It's probably worth mentioning, for the benefit of US readers, that the A1 is the old Great North Road which was the main road from London to Edinburgh and has traditionally carried a lot of freight traffic. It also carries quite a lot of military traffic due to various army and RAF bases close by, especially along the Yorkshire stretch, and the Otterburn Ranges close to the Scottish border.

It has been eclipsed to some extent by the M1 which runs from London to Leeds which now carries some of the freight traffic, but the A1 is still a major artery and parts of it run through farmland and areas that are fairly sparsely populated. Although the A1 does have some service areas, it also has a number of substantial laybys where traffic can pull off and where a hitchhiker could be in danger, inside or outside a vehicle.

13. MelmothTheLost

Or perhaps walked too far into the road to try to flag down the lorry that killed her. She couldn't have walked far in bare feet in February. At 6.15am in mid-February it would not even have started to get light for another hour or more so she was walking on an unlit road in the dark.

Also looking at the road on Google camera, you can see how isolated it is even today only a mile or so outside of Baldock, which is near where she was killed.

14. MelmothTheLost

And also because it would have been extremely cold in the early morning, especially if she expected to be standing around for a while trying to hitch a lift.

15. MelmothTheLost

I've never hitchhiked, but is this likely? Would you take off your shoes in an environment where the possibility of having to make a sudden exit should be at the back of someone's mind? And is a lorry cab somewhere you would be expected to take off your shoes anyway? I really think if that if a driver suggested it I'd immediately be on my guard.

16. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

17. MelmothTheLost

AFAIK, Ludic is not a French surname. It sounds as though it might be Czech or similar to me.

18. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member