Still Missing UK - Bernadette Walker, 17, left parent's car, Peterborough, 21 July 2020 *Arrests* #4

Discussion in 'Currently Awaiting Trial' started by RobinCAL, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitkat28

Kitkat28 Well-Known Member

This. People think they know how they’d act and what they’d do if they were being abused, but no two victims are the same.

She must have known; or at least had pretty strong suspicions. I fail to see how any person living in the same house wouldn’t after that amount of time.

Ruthbullock, Crazysaz, aeaea and 2 others like this.

2. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

court finished early today.

Cambridge Crown Court 1 T20207197
    Sarah Walker
    Scott Walker
    Details: Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 14 Continues - 10:13
    Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 11:13
    Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 11:45 - 11:16
    Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 14 Continues - 11:48
    Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 12:42
    Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:05 - 12:46
    Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 14:03
    Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 14:20
    Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 10:30 - 14:27

3. MIdge28

MIdge28 Well-Known Member

Wonder what’s going on?

4. mrazda71

mrazda71 Human bean

From The Law Pages

'Legal Submissions in the court hearings listing mean that legal technicalities are under discussion either within the court (where the jury may have to be removed) or the chambers. The Prosecution and/or the Defence Counsel will be addressing the judge. Under some circumstances the public may be denied access to the court until the submissions are complete. Outside the court door a sign will make it clear that the court is not open to the public and may say 'in chambers'

aeaea, Marg from Oz, Alyce and 4 others like this.
  5. Tortoise

Those short legal submissions are usually just boring stuff like timetabling the case and witnesses. Legal arguments between the sides usually go on longer, for instance if something is admissible, which the judge then has to decide on.

If they finished cross-examination of Scott and Sarah's case was going to open it would be usual to adjourn until the next day so that she can prepare. Or it could be that Sarah's barrister requested time this afternoon to prepare for cross-examination of Scott, and they needed time to talk to Sarah first. Just guessing really, hopefully we will find out!

6. MIdge28

Thanks Tortoise - I’m going tomorrow so hopefully the trial will resume in the morning. I see it’s a slightly later start tomorrow.

7. Tortoise

Just one thing - I wouldn't assume it means tomorrow. If court isn't sitting tomorrow it could mean Monday. Best to phone first.

8. Mercsw

Mercsw Well-Known Member

Quick question as I asked this before, why is Scott listed as witness 14? That seems strange terminology as he’s on trial

Marg from Oz likes this.
  9. Mammaalli

Mammaalli Well-Known Member

Well it's not looking good for updates. 5 mins out of a week in court, we won't ever get our heads around this.

Ruthbullock, Sooty and jackal67 like this.
  10. jackal67

jackal67 Well-Known Member

I agree. There were a lot of people crammed into one small house Someone must have known surely?

11. SaintMoore

SaintMoore Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    aeaea likes this.
  12. aeaea

aeaea Active Member

<modsnip -quoted post removed>

Hi, I am not the poster you are talking to but I did make a couple of the same points- it appears from the first child SaW had who was removed due to her circumstances there was some indication of vulnerability at least at that time and if it’s correct she had him to a much older man there’s at least that evidence that she has a history of being targeted as vulnerable. The amount of children shes had is also an indicator. I have no idea if this was the case for SaW, but there’s enough circumstantial evidence for me to personally believe she was experiencing DV. None of this is to excuse a woman who’s teenage daughter believed she would be murdered if she disclosed abuse, who is now missing presumed dead - I don’t even think it lessens her culpability here.

Domestic abuse against pregnant women

I do believe SaW has done a lot wrong, up to and potentially including murder- but I also believe she may have been abused, if not by ScW then apparently at some point in her adolescence when she had a child by a much older man despite not being able to care for them.

ETA- @Kitkat28 Thank you for the clarification- I’ve been dead wrong about that since it kicked in and thought it applied retroactively. D’oh

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2021
  13. Mammaalli

I 've wondered this too. Anyone know ?

Marg from Oz likes this.
  14. SaintMoore

SaintMoore Well-Known Member

Peoples personalities are multilayered.

There's not gonna be a straight cut conclusion of someone being fully bad, or fully good

Marg from Oz, Crazysaz and Jowen like this.
  15. helenvic

helenvic Well-Known Member

I was in court today. I'm not home yet. I will report back later. In the meantime, could you let me know what I am not allowed to say? I know I cannot mention children's names. But is there anything else that I can't share?

16. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

Hurrah Helen! Unless they said there are restrictions I think it's ok but someone with better knowledge than me will come along I'm sure.

17. MIdge28

Fantastic Helenvic - your head must be spinning - mine was! Quick question are they in court tomorrow? I’m leaving quite early so would be great if you could let me know.

18. Mammaalli

Who needs PT when we have our very own Midge28 and Helenvic lol.

19. worth2

worth2 Active Member

Very grateful for the people going to the public gallery. BW deserves all our care and thoughts about her.

20. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Court Serve ( and Law Pages earlier post from Tortoise ) says they are, but I would double check to be sure in the morning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.