Still Missing UK - Bernadette Walker, 17, left parent's car, Peterborough, 21 July 2020 *Arrests* #4

Discussion in 'Currently Awaiting Trial' started by RobinCAL, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsBrooks

MrsBrooks Well-Known Member

Just when my doubts start creeping in, you tortoise always seem to completely convince me otherwise that: 1, they are both guilty and 2, there is absolutely no chance of them walking free!( over the past couple days I really believed they would walk away free- and it angered me).

You really should be part of the prosecution because I find your arguments overwhelmingly convincing.

2. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

There will always be rogue juries, but when it happens it can't be predicted and I don't think there's any point looking at a case from the point of view that someone isn't going to see something in what I would deem to be a reasonable light (others may think finding any alternative explanation for every piece of evidence is reasonable, I don't, when there is this quantity of material and seen all together what picture it paints). Plus the jury has heard far more than we've been given in the papers, and seen the strange behaviour of defendants only wanting to give their side and step down or not enter the box at all, when the prosecution wants answers to the questions the jury will have. Yes there is an outside chance the jury will vote not guilty, but my prediction is that is unlikely. All MOO

3. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

"There is a perception that circumstantial evidence is weaker than direct evidence, however, Lord Hewart CJ in the decision of R v Donovan (1930) 21 Cr App R.20 stated:

"It has been said that the evidence against the applicants is circumstantial: so it is, but circumstantial evidence is very often the best. It is evidence of surrounding circumstances which, by undesigned coincidence, is capable of proving a proposition with the accuracy of mathematics. It is no derogation of evidence to say that it is circumstantial."

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/investigations/introduction/#circumstantial-evidence

"the cumulative effect of a number of separate pieces of circumstantial evidence is to increase the weight of that evidence. This is often expressed through the use of the ‘rope analogy’: imagine each piece of circumstantial evidence as a strand of a rope. One strand on its own is weak and insufficient to carry a weight, but several strands together increase the strength of the rope which may then carry more weight. In R v. Exall and others, 8 Pollock CB approves the rope analogy"

http://assets.cambridge.org/97811070/20337/excerpt/9781107020337_excerpt.pdf

4. Atoz

Atoz The owls are not what they seem.

I see where you're coming from, and perhaps there is a grain of truth in it.

But I think it more likely a fabrication as it's in line with his general interest in horses and my mind immediately springs back to what I consider his previous lie about just going to a random residential street to read the horse racing papers.

Horses just seem to be familiar and safe ground for him to create what he considers are plausible scenarios.

5. worth2

worth2 Active Member

I keep wondering, if I were on the jury could I say guilty beyond reasonable doubt? I obviously think he (and SaW) did it.

SaintMoore, jackal67 and Marg from Oz like this.
  6. KarenUK

KarenUK Well-Known Member

Depends on how you define reasonable doubt.... Did she run away from a car on a road that doesnt exist, leaving her phone and her bag with no money and never be heard of again, whilst her parents go out of their way to cover their tracks with fake messages etc while not reporting her missing for days - or did he kill her, hide her body in a vast area of nothingness (I mean that in a nice way) and fumble through with all these ridiculous stories of midnight journeys and phones disconnecting.

They can't 100% prove it, but I know which seems like it might have happened, and which sounds complete fantasy... But hey it worked for Casey Anthony!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  7. Gooner666

Gooner666 Well-Known Member

For us newbies what are the acronyms RBSM AND MOO mean

mrazda71 and jackal67 like this.
  8. KarenUK

KarenUK Well-Known Member

Respectfully Snipped By Me and My Own Opinion

This might help: acronym guide

9. jackal67

jackal67 Well-Known Member

Just had a good read of this case. Kent Live did an amazing job of covering this case and the trial. If only we could have had the same. Also the Prosecutor was great with her questions in comparison to BW s

10. Gooner666

Gooner666 Well-Known Member

I saw a comment made on Twitter that one of the defendants in this case actually worked for the Peterborough Telegraph- anyone confirm ? I am assuming ScW

mrazda71, Marg from Oz and jackal67 like this.
  11. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

LinkedIn ..........

Scott Walker

Professional at Anything Horses
    Peterborough, England, United Kingdom

The Telegraph Tipster

Bretton Wood School

12. chimpface

chimpface Well-Known Member

Shoutout to @Tortoise for some cracking posts in this thread.

solar, Jessv, rls11 and 16 others like this.
  13. Tanzanite

Tanzanite Well-Known Member

Well said. Every time I feel a bit bleak about the prospects here, @Tortoise calmly and articulately indicates a way forward that gives renewed hope of justice being served.

Invaluable right now, thank you.

14. MissMarbles

MissMarbles Active Member

A quick question for now, but does anyone know if railway sidings have been searched at any time by police? So far I've only heard about them searching rivers, fields, etc, and various buildings. We have railway lines in Peterborough, the mainline going North/South, and a branch going off east towards Ely/Cambridge areas.

Marg from Oz and jackal67 like this.
  15. SuperStarSleuth

SuperStarSleuth Member

May have completely missed it but was there no court today?

16. MissMarbles

MissMarbles Active Member

Nothing today, I believe it's either closing arguments or summing up tomorrow, maybe someone can confirm?

17. MIdge28

MIdge28 Well-Known Member

No - the judge had a prior commitment- summing up starts tomorrow though.

Marg from Oz, jackal67 and Alyce like this.
  18. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Nothing today. They are back tomorrow. Should be Prosecution closing speech but as Tortoise said earlier, it may end up being Judge giving some remarks and leaving Pros until Monday.

Legally Bland and Marg from Oz like this.
  19. SuperStarSleuth

SuperStarSleuth Member

Fingers crossed the just see what we see..

20. SaintMoore

SaintMoore Well-Known Member

The newborn baby, and the rest of the kids.

jackal67, Bethan and Marg from Oz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.