GUILTY UK - Betty Yates, 77, & Rev. John Suddards, 59, murdered, Jan-Feb 2012

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by wfgodot, Feb 14, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

As police have not yet announced a cause of death, I'll take a chance and gamble it's a murder by placing it here in Crimes in the News. At least sounds like foul play was involved. Actually, after reading Daily Mail's headline ("...found by builders"), I thought perhaps a walled-up skeleton had been found - perhaps one of those 300-year-old whodunnits. Nope, new vicar, freshly dead and possibly stabbed. (Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, is about 12 miles north of Bristol, according to its Wiki page.)

A murder at the vicarage? Police probe launched in quiet market town after body found by builders (Daily Mail)
    the rest, with pictures, at DM link above

2. Loading...

3. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

A real live "Midsomer Murders"...?

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

All murders of clergy, particularly stabbing deaths, echo that of Thomas à Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, at Canterbury Cathedral on 29 December 1170 ("Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" -- Henry II, at least according to oral tradition). So, unlike U.S. cases, if this case indeed proves to be a killing, its historical antecedents can be said to go back 800+ years. And that's one of the things which make an English murder mystery interesting: they may lie on deep historical bedrock.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Now not only a tabloid but a broadsheet has called it death by stabbing, calling it a "suspected murder." The police were making their presence in town known to reassure frightened residents, according to another article I read. So surely it must be murder. Anyway, here's the Telegraph article, with a brief historical note:

Rev John Suddards: vicar stabbed to death in his own home
    more at link above, as they say

Requiescat in pace, Rev. John Suddards.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Just a bit of new information this morning:

Police investigation launched into death of Rev John Suddards at Thornbury vicarage (thisisbristol.co.uk)
    Tests due on body of vicar found dead in Thornbury (BBC)

8. BritsKate

BritsKate Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderf

I think this is likely to have been personal rather than some random attack. Most doors here (at least in my area) are self locking. I wonder if the Reverend opened the door to his attacker. :(

How sad for a small, tightly knit community. The post-mortem is scheduled for today so hopefully we will know more soon.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17038816

As an aside we recently had a murder within just a few blocks of where we live. The shock of it alone was immense as we live in a relatively low crime area and certainly England has a much lower homicide rate than the States. West Midlands police were incredible in their assistance to the community. They informed us personally when an arrest had been made, sought assistance for evidence recovery, and requested the public not victimize the perpetrator's family.
    http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/01/30/face-of-willenhall-murder-victim-is-revealed/

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Quick work, Avon-and-Somerset LE.

Man arrested after vicar's body found by builders in vicarage of quiet market town (Daily Mail)
    Rev John Suddards: arrest over vicar murder (Telegraph)

ETA:
    [video=youtube;xcx0ETuix_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcx0ETuix_8[/video]

10. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Now I'm wishing I remembered from the Joanna Yeates threads how long a UK arrestee can be held before charges must be filed. #toolazytolookitup I know extensions of questioning time can be filed for. #awkward sentence

Also, I found DCI Crisp's plea for info from the public somehow - different. #probablyjustme

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Mail still hedging its bets as it maintains the phrase "the 59-year-old unmarried vicar" in the article's fifth paragraph.

'I know I'm taking risks by letting vulnerable strangers in to my home', said vicar found stabbed to death (Daily Mail)
    more at link above

12. Sabot

Sabot New Member

I think the time is 48 hours, but then The Police can apply for an extension if they have just cause.

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Thanks, Sabot. That's sort of what I remembered, too, but wasn't sure. I know they can apply for extensions, sometimes several.

14. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The Sun thinks it might have some vaguely expressed insight into matters:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4135643/Rev-killing-cops-nab-van-used-by-dosser.html

15. Sabot

Sabot New Member

Maximum time is 96 hours but only after an application to a Magistrate. Seven days in cases of terrorism.
    But there's a lot of "As a general rule" which no doubt the Police make use of.

16. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Broadsheet also reporting van seizure:

Vicar murder: police seize van where homeless man slept
    more at the link

17. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Thornbury vicar murder: Police want to trace man (BBC)

18. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

19. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The case grows much more interesting as the original suspect is bailed and police release the name of a man sought for questioning:

-
    Rev John Suddards: police name man in murder hunt (Telegraph)

20. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

21. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Arrest made; parallels with another recent stabbing death explored:

Police probing murder of clergyman exploring 'similarities' with the killing of pensioner, 77, at her home last month (Sunday Mail)
    And what other case might be connected to the Thornbury murder of vicar Suddards?
    more, with an excellent variety of pictures, at link above