GUILTY UK - Boy, 12, for rape of 6yo girl, Suffolk, 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by SilkySifaka, Sep 24, 2013.

1. SilkySifaka

SilkySifaka Active Member

I don't believe in sentencing children as adults but this is light even for me. especially with no remorse. On the other hand 12 is the worst time for an impressionable child to be with hardened criminals for years.

2. Loading...

3. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

It happens here in the US ALL the time.

Actually, the young perps here don't have to pay!

4. Frigga

Frigga New Member

I don't have high blood pressure, but if I did, these are the types of stories that would send it through the roof!

5. SilkySifaka

SilkySifaka Active Member

I thougt they threw the book at kids who rape 6 year olds. At least a year in juvie is what i would expect, here or in Britain. On the good side it sounds like he will be getting counselling and his parents turned him in so they might be getting him more help than even the court ordered young offender program. I guess i am torn. I see the judges reasoning and even agree with it to a certain extent. Cause the only thing you will have if he was put in juvie for a few years is a hardened criminal. And he is on that cusp where he is still moldable. Yet i feel horrible for the 6 year old victim, he pled to 2 counts of rape in an earlier hearing (same victim)

6. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

Fortunately for you, and most unfortunate for the victims.., because the perp is a minor.. .. These stories aren't often made public. They're handled behind closed doors, under strict confidentiality laws. Most don't even make it to a court room. CPS files everywhere are loaded with cases like this.

7. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Well-Known Member

For the first time ever, (and I hope the last), I think a juvenile sentence isn't harsh enough. Its not even a wish to see him punished, its just that I think the judge's reasoning is bullcrap.

Children's secure units in Britain are in no way an unsuitable environment for a 12 year old, nor are they an environment in which he would be exposed to hardened criminals. The childrens' units in the UK are actually one of the best parts of their justice system and have an excellent rehabilitation rate.

The home she's leaving this boy in, on the other hand, is an environment where he has somehow learned to be a rapist.

As for the £300 "compensation", that's just an insult.

8. Reader

Reader New Member

I hope the little girl is getting some counseling too! I think the fine should have been ordered to be paid for that purpose. To pay directly to her or parents just seems strange to me. Since the boy 'didn't care' how she felt it should have been impressed to him the damage he caused her not only physically, but emotionally.

9. Tonya421

Tonya421 New Member

Unbelievable! Rape a child and pay $300?
    And what is this about him not being able to contact her for 12 months? How about NEVER contacting her again?

10. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

This boy needs to just disappear.
    Tired of hearing about rapists getting fines and a slap on the wrist. What about the girl 300 is going to fix her emotional problems for life?

11. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

Thanks button isn't enough. :goodpost:

Two separate instances, the six year age gap, the term 'forced', and the boy's callousness strongly indicate that he's already a predator and not just acting out of natural curiosity.

Therefore - yeah, he needs an eye kept on him for sure, because hello, future abduction rapist/serial killer...

I'd hope somebody looks into his home life too. Sometimes sociopaths are just born, and to the nicest people. But I believe the vast majority of sociopaths who go on to commit violent and/or sexual crimes are -made- by their early environment.

12. HawksGirl

HawksGirl New Member

"I don't care how she feels." Well, A for honesty, I suppose. :eyeroll:

Completely agree about looking into his home life and environment. He learned this stuff somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he has also been molested.

13. catatonia

catatonia New Member

This boy's behavior and also his "I don't care attitude" indicate that he's been abused, too. Not necessarily sexual but definitely emotional. This being said, is -of course- no excuse for what he's done, but every perpetrator has once been a victim. Some kids remain in their victimhood, others try to (re)gain control/power by offending others. Now he's still that young, he will hopefully get the right support to rehabilitate.

14. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

That is not true.

Sometimes kids are simply evil.

15. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that ther

While I agree with you that some perpetrators of violent crimes were at one time victims themselves, I will say that this is not at all a given..IMO nope, not even near is it a given that EVERY PERP was once a victim of abuse themselves.. Just like all victims of abuse do NOT in turn become perpetrators of abuse ..so, too is it that all perpetrators are NOT all victims of abuse., There are individuals who are evil.. There are individuals who were raised in loving, stable homes that still choose to perpetrate violence on others even when they, themselves have not been abused..

In my strong opinion it is not a forgone conclusion that all perpetrators of violent crimes were once themselves the victim of abuse..not at all.. Too many times it is not as simple as looking back and pointing out the Aha! Moment of when/what the event/time was that caused the perp to become the violent abuser he/she has become.. The formula for the abuse cycle is a proven fact, but that cycle is something completely different and totally separate from what is being claimed here..
    Violent perpetrators who have inflicted violent abuses on innocent victims are NOT ALWAYS victims of abuse themselves.

**Please forgive the limitations that come w/my posting via mobile ATM**

16. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

Exactly. Some people with really bad childhood marred by abuse do not turn out evil, while other people from stable families turn out evil. Some people are just screwed up. :crazy:

Sounds like a budding psychopath, ala Eric Harris or Joran van der Sloot.

17. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

It's also true, however, that a vast number of serial killers and serial sexual predators did indeed suffer some form of abuse in childhood.

The thing is, abuse in and of itself does not automatically mean a child will grow up a killer or rapist. That is perfectly true.

BUT it's also true that a child born with the kind of brain chemistry or neural configuration that tips the scales toward sociopathy is way more likely to commit violent crime if they have also been exposed to abuse and violence.

There's plenty of sociopaths out there leading successful, rape and murder-free lives, also, I should add.

18. catatonia

catatonia New Member

How do you know that for sure? Abuse is a highly painful matter that most people rather remain silent about than open up and talk. Many are ashamed, blame themselves for what has happened to them and prefer just to forget (suppression) instead of having to deal with it.

Alice Miller, a psychoanalyst and the author of numerous books about child abuse, wrote

Source: www.alice-miller.com/articles_en.php?lang=en&nid=47&grp=11

19. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

It's known by polygraphing adult sex offenders. There are more than a few studies online. I'll edit and add them later as I only have a short amount of time this morning.

Many claiming to have been abused were not and those that were tended to lie and deny it.

20. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

21. catatonia

catatonia New Member

Thank you, Linda. :)

Still I find it difficult to "prove" whether someone has ever been abused or not. You never know what a single soul is going through. May I quote Franz Kafka at this point:

The main problem is, regarding mental and emotional abuse, that the victim is often not even aware of the abuse itself, due to its often subtle nature. There might be gaslighting as well, the child is being manipulated in order to doubt his own memory, feelings and cognition.

So if someone isn't even conscious of all that, a lie detector will only bring light into things resp. it's only able to "prove" what the person is already aware of, isn't it?