Recovered/Located UK - Cardiff - 3 Women & 2 Men Missing, leaving nightclub approx 2am, Newport, 4 March 2023

“Eve, a talented singer who once performed in TeenStar, the UK’s ‘biggest competition for young artists’, was driving”

She drove her own car to the club. She was not the driver of the Tiguan. MOO

Her bag was left in her own car outside the club they were in.

They wouldn’t have known on the Sunday where the caravan was nor would they have been able to gain access to it.
I am not sure what we can say but if you look at the missing post by the sisters of the victims there is more detail about the caravan and any visits there.

It could have been sold as an MOT failure, there was quite a bit of work that needed doing.
If you enter the reg here it shows the last v5 was issued on the 13th Oct 2020 so it seems unlikely in this case.

If you enter the reg here it shows the last v5 was issued on the 13th Oct 2020 so it seems unlikely in this case.

hmm assuming the mot is legit a lot of money had to have been spent getting it through the Mot before he was even out

hmm assuming the mot is legit a lot of money had to have been spent getting it through the Mot before he was even out

Using the DVLA MOT check it looks like the car needed:

* Front and rear discs (you'd also change pads at the same time)
* Lower suspension arm bushing
* Rear coil spring (usually changed in pairs, but not essential)
* Seatbelt mechanism

Looking at euro car parts for prices, the brakes would be £270 all in. Lower suspension arm bushing would be £75 to replace the whole lower arm (less labour). Rear coil would be £50. And Seatbelt mechanism another £20.

So that's £415 in parts. Then your likely looking at 4 hours labour on top. I'm not sure on labour prices in Cardiff, but where I am in the southeast you're looking at least £60 p/h.

So easily £600-£650 for parts and labour I'd imagine.

Sources:

MOT history
Parts prices
Labour prices

Using the DVLA MOT check it looks like the car needed:

* Front and rear discs (you'd also change pads at the same time)
* Lower suspension arm bushing
* Rear coil spring (usually changed in pairs, but not essential)
* Seatbelt mechanism

Looking at euro car parts for prices, the brakes would be £270 all in. Lower suspension arm bushing would be £75 to replace the whole lower arm (less labour). Rear coil would be £50. And Seatbelt mechanism another £20.

So that's £415 in parts. Then your likely looking at 4 hours labour on top. I'm not sure on labour prices in Cardiff, but where I am in the southeast you're looking at least £60 p/h.

So easily £600-£650 for parts and labour I'd imagine.

Sources:

MOT history
Parts prices
Labour prices
to be honest thats better than i was thinking but then its also a case of was it even insured to take for the Mot considering obviously Raef couldnt take it? IF it comes out that it was not a genuine MOT and the condition of the car played a part in what happened although I dont really believe that it will but I assume the garage could then face serious charges?

Anybody who had fully comprehensive insurance for their own vehicle could have legally driven the car, but why do you say Rafel couldn't take it? He presumably wasn't available to take it when the MOT expired in December, but that would be why it was delayed to February.

“The white VW Tiguan involved is thought to have belonged to Mr Jeanne, but he allowed other people to drive it.”

“The white VW Tiguan involved is thought to have belonged to Mr Jeanne, but he allowed other people to drive it.”
I don't really understand why the Police wont name the driver as the family have said who it was.

I think the assumption seems to be Rafel was driving as it was his car, but it seems he was happy for others to drive it. The video from the evening before the crash has his ex driving and when she gets out the other passenger Joel Lia appears to take over driving.
I wonder if Eve Smith's dad has real info or has assumed like most people.

I think the assumption seems to be Rafel was driving as it was his car, but it seems he was happy for others to drive it. The video from the evening before the crash has his ex driving and when she gets out the other passenger Joel Lia appears to take over driving.
I wonder if Eve Smith's dad has real info or has assumed like most people.
as much as people argued about what he wrote they didnt argue about that point and to be honest the famiies went to the crash site so would have seen who was driving ;(

I guess the Police are waiting for toxicology tests to be done (? 6 weeks) on the deceased(s) before possibly making any announcements.

Then they might be in a position to say one of two things
1. X - being deceased was driving.
2. Y - being very much not deceased was driving....and here is the charge list we together with the CPS are bringing today against them.

Whether in the case of (1) they will make any further announcements about the driver and their condition or would they wait until the inquest. The ones local to me (its regular every few years) when excessive speed and excessive drink were the case before they too hit a tree all the details about the driver's condition/speed only came out at the inquest.
In the case of 2 they would going forward say nothing whatsoever and the inquest would I think have to wait until the end of any court proceedings.

If there are any legal proceedings involved with who was driving, don't expect the police to name the driver (sub judice/trial prejudice), even if that person is deceased there may be connecting circumstances that the police wouldn't want to state in public in case of legal proceedings.

Anybody who had fully comprehensive insurance for their own vehicle could have legally driven the car
This is not entirely true, "fully comp" isn't a thing, its comprehensive or third party fire and theft (or third party only). The comprehensive part simply means that damage to the insured car is also covered vs just cover to the third party. Any additions beyond that are at the discretion of the insurance company and a lot of the cheaper ones no longer offer driving other cars on a third party only basis as it helps the costs stay down.
Not entirely important for this incident, but just in case anyone takes this at face value. Always read what you're covered for.

If the driver was comprehensively insured, any compensation to the survivors would be paid by the insurer, usually the cover limit on the policy is £2million.

If the driver is not named on the Tiguan insurance policy and they were driving based on their own insurance it would be 'third party only' cover this means that there is no cover for the damage to the Tiguan but damage caused by the Tiguan to a third party would be covered. Best case scenario this would include damages to the survivors, but not the driver, but that would likely depend on the drivers insurance rather than the insurer of the Tiguan. If the drivers insurance declined to cover, the Tiguan's insurers may be obliged to step in.

If there is no insurance then the survivors might be able to take legal proceedings against the Tiguan insurer, but I doubt it would be a success and they'd have to pursue from the driver directly (Note, a personal proceeding against the driver *might* be covered on any home insurance they have as this can cover public liability)

Source: I work for an insurance company.

This is not entirely true, "fully comp" isn't a thing, its comprehensive or third party fire and theft (or third party only). The comprehensive part simply means that damage to the insured car is also covered vs just cover to the third party. Any additions beyond that are at the discretion of the insurance company and a lot of the cheaper ones no longer offer driving other cars on a third party only basis as it helps the costs stay down.
Not entirely important for this incident, but just in case anyone takes this at face value. Always read what you're covered for.

If the driver was comprehensively insured, any compensation to the survivors would be paid by the insurer, usually the cover limit on the policy is £2million.

If the driver is not named on the Tiguan insurance policy and they were driving based on their own insurance it would be 'third party only' cover this means that there is no cover for the damage to the Tiguan but damage caused by the Tiguan to a third party would be covered. Best case scenario this would include damages to the survivors, but not the driver, but that would likely depend on the drivers insurance rather than the insurer of the Tiguan. If the drivers insurance declined to cover, the Tiguan's insurers may be obliged to step in.

If there is no insurance then the survivors might be able to take legal proceedings against the Tiguan insurer, but I doubt it would be a success and they'd have to pursue from the driver directly (Note, a personal proceeding against the driver *might* be covered on any home insurance they have as this can cover public liability)

Source: I work for an insurance company.
My post referred to driving the car to a garage for the MOT. Not driving it on the night of the accident.

BIB
My insurance has always covered driving another car on a third party basis. It's just for peace of mind knowing that it's legal. I didn't know that some comprehensive policies no longer include it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back