GUILTY UK - Charlie Stopford, a.k.a. Lord Buckingham, revealed as missing American

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by marylandmissing, May 6, 2006.

1. marylandmissing

marylandmissing New Member

Jailed Impostor Using Aristocratic Name May Be a Missing Beatles Fan From Orlando

[size=-1]By Mary Jordan
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Saturday, May 6, 2006; A01
    [/size]

LONDON, May 5 -- In January last year, a prosperous man with a posh English accent boarded a ferry in Calais, France, for the quick run across the channel to Dover. Immigration officials did a computer check on his passport and discovered something startling: The man's particulars matched those of an infant who had died in August 1963.

He was arrested in Dover on suspicion of false identity. From there his tale grew ever more intriguing: He had passed himself off as Lord Buckingham in British society for close to 20 years, marrying, fathering two children, writing notes on stationery bearing a family coat of arms.

Last October, he pleaded guilty to lying to obtain a passport under a false name. But if he is not Lord Buckingham, who is he? Held in British jail cells for close to a year, he has refused to say.

Now British authorities think they probably have the answer: He is Charlie Stopford, an American from Orlando. Stopford family members in Florida have come forward to say that Charlie disappeared 23 years ago, remembered for his large collection of Beatles records and ability to perfectly mimic British speech.

2. Loading...

3. Floh

Floh Former Member

Really gives meaning to the phrase: The game's up.

sems like they've worked out exactly who he is. i wonder what's to become of him?

imgine for all those years passing as someone else? he must have been fairly certain no one would ever catch him out.

his life has gone up in smoke.

:eek:

4. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

5. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

you know really, they can keep him.

6. Puca

Puca New Member

What harm has the "Earl of Buckingham" done in the last twenty years. He is suspected of "trying to blow up his boss's car, per rumor." Let the man go and live the life he has assumed. His life, other than the rumor, is no different than ours have been.

7. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

Actually that isn't true when he disappeared he was wanted in Florida on charges I don't recall..

8. Puca

Puca New Member

Think about this Amraann! Twenty years ago this man was accused, but not proven to having tried to blow up his boss's car. (Haven't we all had that thought!)
    He than, I feel, left to go to a country that he always cared to live in, married, had children, and played a roll. I for one cannot find fault with that.

9. OneLostGrl

OneLostGrl I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

Having thought of blowing up my bosses car is very different then actually doing so. Maybe they haven't been able to prove it but he took off to another country when he became a suspect!! If Scott Peterson had succedded in fleeing the country while he was a suspect in his wifes murder, we'd all have said he must have something to hide and run from!

10. Puca

Puca New Member

Was that because he wanted to "Blow up his boss's car, or something worse?

11. Puca

Puca New Member

One lost girl! It is time to let the "Earl of buckingham" go free.
    He has bocken no law that I obey! That he thought of blowing up his bosses car is one thing. I have in the past thought of "more aggressive things for my boss

12. narlacat

narlacat Former Member

What a hoot!
    Bung on an accent, give yourself a title and make your way to England :p
    Puca, maybe you should consider getting another job :)

13. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Feature article from April 2009:

http://theweek.com/articles/506707/last-word-man-who-erased-himself