UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #14

Discussion in '2000's Missing' started by KateB, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadwell

shadwell Well-Known Member

Indeed. If nothing else I would want to have a look at the back to see if the battery had been dislodged as a result of it taking a knock. But there seems to be very little evidence of fingerprinting generally (unless the house has been thoroughly cleaned since) - likewise any one of those pans sat apparently untouched in the boxes was potentially a weapon.

2. shadwell

Also I’d be wanting any fingerprints and a swab for possible drug residue off that mirror with the books sat on it.

7FB3E21A-04B2-49B1-B9C2-01F66D1BF7BF.jpeg

3. LuluR38

LuluR38 Well-Known Member

No, it was not that long before she vanished I believe ... her mum refers to it as ‘recently’ in one article and her friend also mentions her horse being put down not long before her disappearance.

4. Blonderabbit

Blonderabbit Well-Known Member

How do you explain that - the clock stops at 9.23 - the exact time the suv leaves. could it have been an hour out - when did clocks go forward in 2009? as 8.23 seems to be the time she stops communicating?

curiosity2 likes this.
  5. shadwell

Clocks go forward on the last weekend of March - but remember the article states 9.37pm, not 9.23.

A99A2EE1-42F0-42B2-A2D1-81DA72B7634A.jpeg

6. Pinkizzy

Pinkizzy Well-Known Member

I wonder why she was avoiding the Nags Head, what exactly did she say or do to them?

7. Popejohn3

Popejohn3 Well-Known Member

She probably didn’t want them to meet her new boyfriend just yet !

8. shadwell

Was she in the habit of keeping the various members of the Hale contingent away from the NH crowd when they came over to visit?

Deleted member 102539 likes this.
  9. Pinkizzy

It looks like she may have died at home with the secret bf as a witness

10. Popejohn3

Good question

Deleted member 102539 likes this.
  11. Blonderabbit

If you follow that line - dead before she hit the ground at 9.37pm on the 18th. It would mean all of the sightings, the rucksack near the college etc are all fake - rub them out. It would narrow the choice of suspects. Especially if she’s at home on on the 18th and as the clock suggests it happened at home.

Inspector Evans and BryterLayter like this.
  12. LovelyLAM

LovelyLAM Member

Just wondering why we think the clock would have stopped when she died? I may have missed a thread further up. So apologies if this is repetitive.

IMO there are lots of red herrings and false sightings etc that throw police and everyone else off the scent. Just hard to know what’s real and what’s not. Sadly for Claudia and also her parents.

There was a cocaine trading business as the time out of the nags head. I wonder if she knew something she shouldn’t have.

I also read (again apologies if this is repetition) that from the nags head you could access her back garden without any cctv. Infact you can see her house from the back, and this was where lots of the drug dealing was happening.

13. Blonderabbit

If you follow that line - dead before she hit the ground at 9.37pm on the 18th. It would mean all of the sightings, the rucksack near the college etc are all fake - rub them out. It would narrow the choice of suspects. Especially if she’s at home on on the 18th and as the clock suggests it happened at home.
    could be a complete coincidence about the clock - as could many of the reports and sightings. However I have looked at it with probability in mind. You have three possible lines to follow - event happening on the 18th or event happening on the 19th or an event happening across the 18th and 19th. I have tried to put bits you know to be true together. Filling the gaps with probability. Most pubs have drug dealing going on, cicaine and others. It’s not unique to the nags. It’s unlikely you’d kill someone - as all you’d do is draw attention to yourself. That’s not to say people don’t lose their lives. Was it planned or was it random? There’s more questions than there are answers. Just recently more than any other time I suspect those very close to Claudia - how do they carry the burden of guilt? If they are ever found out!!

14. keep-it-real

keep-it-real Well-Known Member

I think the drug supply and trading activity together with the criminal types it attracted to Nags Head, The Limes and the Uni is to a large extent being overlooked here. Its important to ascertain just who was in the NH on the evening of the 18th and the days/nights leading up to it and what business drugs and other more serious trades were being dealt there and how any of those people were connected to Claudia.
    We have a very complex case here and the answer to what happened to Clauda in my opinion lies in how all these interwove.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  15. keep-it-real

I beg to differ .. I think its highly likely a person could be killed if they could not be relied on to keep the details of a particular drug/or other serious criminal activity and the people involved in it secret.
    There is a criminal code its strictly applied, extreme violence and death is dealt out to anyone who is seen to break it. This is how the criminal fraternity exert control and fear over individuals and whole communitites.

16. shadwell

The ‘stopped clock’ is of course a major trope of crime fiction, though apparently has featured in some real cases - but mainly in relation to mechanical wristwatches back in the day.

Given that the photo of the clock dates from eight years after CL’s disappearance, the most likely explanation is that the battery ran out and the clock stopped at that time by pure coincidence. Another option might be that someone with access to the house (before or after CL’s disappearance) deliberately stopped the clock and set it to that time for reasons of their own - and it may of course be that in highlighting the 9.37 coincidence I am unwittingly furthering their intentions. [ETA - though of course the battery may have simply been removed to prevent corrosion and the time again purely coincidental]

But this type of wall clock usually has a mechanism with an open battery compartment (see photos below) - depending on how snugly it sits on the wall, there is a also small chance that a sharp blow to the front of the clock (such as might occur in the course of a violent struggle) could dislodge the battery sufficiently to stop the clock.

7117FF9E-C1DF-4F5C-B0E0-5DA558D6895B.jpeg CFDEC549-3C65-4CFF-BF8D-E9A5DEFF876B.jpeg

17. shadwell

It would be interesting to know whether that clock appears in any photos taken by NYP during the original search and, if so, what time it was showing then.

18. Pinkizzy

Cocaine is a recreational drug and a stimulant. CL may have taken the drug to stay awake after a tiring shift at work and overdosed by mistake.

19. keep-it-real

The clock was placed on a wall near a door the slamming/banging of a door shut could also be the cause of a dislodged battery.

IMO

20. Popejohn3

You ‘suspect those very close to Claudia’. Are you including her policeman friend and or her mystery boyfriend ?

LovelyLAM, Pinkizzy and keep-it-real like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.