UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life is full of dilemmas about what to do for the best. Everyone has different views on whether they should inform the police or not.

Ultimately we get the society we deserve. If we are prepared to ignore what we see or suspect then we are part of the problem and not the solution.

Doing the right thing is sometimes the most difficult thing. I know from personal experience when reporting serious concerns of a child at risk from a family member.

Having seen the impact of child abuse as a police officer I had no hesitation in reporting and could never turn a blind eye, despite the personal consequences for me.

Crime affects us, our families and friends, directly and indirectly. We can all choose to either do something or nothing.
Well,
I guess it is a war between idealism and ugly reality.

Happy medium should be found.
Compromise.

You know : "A wolf is fed and the sheep is alive" :)

MOO

Last edited:
That is what I’ve always thought !
It sounds like you come under suspicion if you send them a tip !
Heaven Help Us !
It also sounds that one is ignored if one sends an anonymous tip !
I think that is exactly what happened to me ignored !
If you sent an anonymous Tip then yes you probably where.

I do believe it is possible to contact crimestoppers anonymously online and for the police to be able to contact ‘anonymous you’ via message. So it can be anonymous but not entirely one-way.

I do believe it is possible to contact crimestoppers anonymously online and for the police to be able to contact ‘anonymous you’ via message. So it can be anonymous but not entirely one-way.

Definitely NOT so.

Crime Stoppers is a charity and entirely independent of the police.

Crimes Stoppers guarantees complete anonymity. No call, IP or personal data is sought or retained.

It is essential that people are not led to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

Yes, it is not a means for the police to make direct contact with the informant or to be in possession of any identifying information. The request is managed via the Crime Stoppers anonymous portal.

The police add the request to the original information into the anonymous portal for a limited time, which is then accessed by the original informant using a code and password. The original informant can then provide the information requested anonymously.

The portal access is only available for up to 14 days, then everything is expunged from the Crime Stoppers system.

Does this article from the daily mail-2013(Source) not make very interesting point that could well narrow the culprit or if not at the least provide a motive.

This is what it says in body of article:

"They (The Police) also revealed she was in a ‘casual’ sexual relationship with a man at the time she disappeared.This relationship had been going on for months and was with a man from York, who was in a serious relationship himself and seeing Miss Lawrence secretly."

Full article here:

If this is the best photo of Claudia walking home from work (The last cctv of her) where her father says "That LOOKS like Claudia).
Did she walk home that afternoon or was this someone else in photo?-See article.
Source:

If this is the best photo of Claudia walking home from work (The last cctv of her) where her father says "That LOOKS like Claudia).
Did she walk home that afternoon or was this someone else in photo?-See article.
Source:
well, she got a lift from a friend after the Post Office - so I guess she did walk either all or some of the way.

well, she got a lift from a friend after the Post Office - so I guess she did walk either all or some of the way.
Yes, this was revealed in the Crimewatch programme following a reenactment-A work colleague called Jo (Female) But for some reason police never included this info in their timeline and so for some time now people have disputed this.

The article says:

"The actress was also filmed accepting a lift in a light green Vauxhall saloon as she walked to Miss Lawrence's terraced house in Heworth, York - though police are not certain this took place."

Source:

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

It is relevant, as it represents the last confirmed sighting, providing the person who may have given CL a lift is credible and reliable in what she says.

As it stands, if the Post Office CCTV is the last confirmed sighting, we don't know for certain if CL arrived home after work of if she ended up elsewhere?

Please correct me if I have missed some other confirmation that CL arrived home.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be that Claudia was raped, killed and then put into a river (like Libby S.) by a complete deviant stranger.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

'A friend driving past spotted her on Melrosegate and offered her a lift, which she accepted, and she was then dropped off at her cottage on Heworth Road at approximately 2.50pm. A friend later saw her returning home at 3.05pm and there was a reported sighting in between of her posting a letter nearby.'

Last edited by a moderator:
It is relevant, as it represents the last confirmed sighting, providing the person who may have given CL a lift is credible and reliable in what she says.

As it stands, if the Post Office CCTV is the last confirmed sighting, we don't know for certain if CL arrived home after work of if she ended up elsewhere?

Please correct me if I have missed some other confirmation that CL arrived home.
A friend driving past spotted her on Melrosegate and offered her a lift, which she accepted, and she was then dropped off at her cottage on Heworth Road at approximately 2.50pm. A friend later saw her returning home at 3.05pm and there was a reported sighting in between of her posting a letter nearby.

yes, she did. On the way home:
'A friend driving past spotted her on Melrosegate and offered her a lift, which she accepted, and she was then dropped off at her cottage on Heworth Road at approximately 2.50pm. A friend later saw her returning home at 3.05pm and there was a reported sighting in between of her posting a letter nearby.'
Someone asked the cold case team. Claudia met her friend at 3.05pm without accepting a lift from her friend

Someone asked the cold case team. Claudia met her friend at 3.05pm without accepting a lift from her friend

@Pinkizzy the quote from your link to MSM below:

"Claudia was last sighted at around 3.05pm on Wednesday 18 March at the junction of Heworth Road and East Parade walking back towards her home on Heworth Road."

The quote from @Nikynoo's MSM link below:

"A friend driving past spotted her on Melrosegate and offered her a lift, which she accepted, and she was then dropped off at her cottage on Heworth Road at approximately 2.50pm. A friend later saw her returning home at 3.05pm and there was a reported sighting in between of her posting a letter nearby."

It would seem that CL accepted a lift from the first friend she met walking home at 14:50. A final sighting of CL was at 15:05 on East Parade when she was seen by a friend, walking towards Heworth Road.

It would appear that CL may have gone out again after being dropped of at home courtsey of the lift.....or maybe not gone inside her house at all!

The problem with this case, like that of Suzy Lamplugh, is that there is so much conflicting information and anecdotal 'evidence' that has gone unchecked and become fact.

I am sure that we all know that the press very rarely fact check the detail or the context of what they are printing. They're in the business of selling papers not supporting our detailed understanding.

Ideally best information is from the police press releases and treat everything else with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member