UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16 2019
Missing chef Claudia Lawrence's best pal tells of heartbreaking 10-year search
"It is a recurring dream that has haunted Jen King for the last 10 years. Her missing friend Claudia Lawrence strolls back through the door of their local one night.

And she is full of remorse for vanishing without trace.

“Claudia kind of goes all coy as she tries to explain where she’s been – and she says to me, ‘Well, you know, it just spiralled out of control’, says Jen.

“And then I wake up and realise it’s not true. If only it was. I don’t think for one moment she’s responsible for herself going missing, but that’s what it’s like in my dream.”
"The friends met in 2006 when Jen started working as a barmaid at the Nags Head, a few doors from Claudia’s home in Heworth.

“The following year I ended up moving in with her when a relationship ended,” says Jen, who slips into the present tense from time to time as she talks of the pal she misses so much."

"Jen last saw Claudia at the Nags Head just three days before she went missing.

She says: “We’d all been in the pub for Cheltenham Day on the Friday before she disappeared. We had both been drunk. She had beer fear. If she’d been drinking she was always worried she’d done something to upset someone. She never had."
“The last text she sent was saying she had a row of 12 early start shifts and how she wasn’t going to have a life for a bit. I think she was walking to work that morning and something happened. Either she was snatched or coerced into a vehicle.”

Interesting!

The force’s reluctance to take part in interviews on the 10th anniversary of the case is a wasted opportunity for “one big push” to solve it, says Mr Holleran.

“Ten years on and loyalties change. People may struggle to live with the knowledge they possess and cracks may form.

“Anniversaries such as this are an ideal opportunity to bring people forward again and get Claudia’s name back in the public’s mind.”
-.-

Meanwhile, at the York Press, armchair detectives were calling the newsroom with their theories and reporters heard repeated rumours concerning the university’s Ron Cooke Hub, which was being built in 2009. They were further fuelled by claims Claudia had been involved with men in the building trade.

“With that building project there was a lot of concrete being put down and there was a suggestion she may have been dumped under there,” says Mike Laycock.
-.-

The Hub is a £20million, 7000 sq ft 'melting pot' for engagement. Its design encourages discussion and interaction, bringing people together across disciplines and sectors, from within and outside the university, providing space for new, value-adding ideas and partnerships to blossom.

OMG.

Claudia Lawrence search hit by 'withholding of key information'

"Unless we get information or intelligence to suggest that Claudia came to harm as a result of an opportunity taken by someone unconnected to her, me and the team still strongly believe the answer lies locally.
-.-
"We know also that her mobile phone didn't leave the area before it left the phone network," he added

"This again is a reason I don't believe she fell victim to an attack by a stranger.
-.-
"The call we really want is the one that helps piece together the parts of the jigsaw we already know regarding her last movements and people she associated with and places frequented," he added.

Claudia Lawrence investigation: 10th anniversary of her disappearance and suspected murder in York - North Yorkshire Police

“We have also brought a number of experts onto this case throughout the duration of the review and will continue to do so if we believe they can add value.

“As ever, our thoughts and continued support are with Claudia’s loved ones on this very poignant occasion.

“We all hope that those responsible for her disappearance and suspected murder are brought to justice.”

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1, and pass details to the Force Control Room.

I've always found this a very odd story and remember it vaguely from the time. I then came across the recent BBC article the other day and it renewed my interest.

I feel sorry for her dad, and I really do wonder what became of her. Even if she was having an affair or two, I really don't see how this could have possibly led to her being murdered. It's all very bizarre.

A logical theory would be that she simply grew tired of her life in York and chose to disappear, but if she'd done that then surely she'd at the very least have let her dad know she was alright.

I wonder if we'll ever find out. I suspect not.

I've always found this a very odd story and remember it vaguely from the time. I then came across the recent BBC article the other day and it renewed my interest.

I feel sorry for her dad, and I really do wonder what became of her. Even if she was having an affair or two, I really don't see how this could have possibly led to her being murdered. It's all very bizarre.

A logical theory would be that she simply grew tired of her life in York and chose to disappear, but if she'd done that then surely she'd at the very least have let her dad know she was alright.

I wonder if we'll ever find out. I suspect not.

I don’t agree there - affairs are the basis of many crimes. If those affairs have caused or were looking like they may cause a breakup of a marriage(s), there’s a lot of emotion there to fuel god knows what.

I hope one day the truth will come out. Either by advancement in science or most likely, someone will finally do the right thing and come forward. I don’t know how I could sleep at night keeping secrets at this level..

Agree Lass from Yorkshire, l think her private life had everything to do with it. It's a shame the police didn't take up the opportunity to prick a few consciences today. They know who did it, they just can't prove it.

I don’t agree there - affairs are the basis of many crimes. If those affairs have caused or were looking like they may cause a breakup of a marriage(s), there’s a lot of emotion there to fuel god knows what.

I hope one day the truth will come out. Either by advancement in science or most likely, someone will finally do the right thing and come forward. I don’t know how I could sleep at night keeping secrets at this level..

Exactly. How do you a woman partner of someone she was having an affair with didn't order a hitman for instance?

I reckon she was not at home when her mum called her on the evening before she disappeared. The TV was on in the background and she was on her mobile so I guess she could be at a friend's house or pub.

Man near alley 'still key' in Claudia case

"I cannot fully accept anything as to the identity of a suggested person, i.e. the man near the alleyway behind Claudia's home, unless we have conclusive evidence to back the information up," said Det Supt Malyn.

"Man in Alley still key" .... and maybe still dead (heart attack) and no one is investigating because of reputation?

I reckon she was not at home when her mum called her on the evening before she disappeared. The TV was on in the background and she was on her mobile so I guess she could be at a friend's house or pub.

Good point

I think it's extremely unlikely that an affair resulted in (presumably) the scorned wife having Claudia murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆