UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #2

Discussion in '2000's Missing' started by KateB, Jul 30, 2015.

1. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Feb 16 2019
    Missing chef Claudia Lawrence's best pal tells of heartbreaking 10-year search
    "It is a recurring dream that has haunted Jen King for the last 10 years. Her missing friend Claudia Lawrence strolls back through the door of their local one night.

And she is full of remorse for vanishing without trace.

“Claudia kind of goes all coy as she tries to explain where she’s been – and she says to me, ‘Well, you know, it just spiralled out of control’, says Jen.

“And then I wake up and realise it’s not true. If only it was. I don’t think for one moment she’s responsible for herself going missing, but that’s what it’s like in my dream.”
    "The friends met in 2006 when Jen started working as a barmaid at the Nags Head, a few doors from Claudia’s home in Heworth.

“The following year I ended up moving in with her when a relationship ended,” says Jen, who slips into the present tense from time to time as she talks of the pal she misses so much."

"Jen last saw Claudia at the Nags Head just three days before she went missing.

She says: “We’d all been in the pub for Cheltenham Day on the Friday before she disappeared. We had both been drunk. She had beer fear. If she’d been drinking she was always worried she’d done something to upset someone. She never had."
    “The last text she sent was saying she had a row of 12 early start shifts and how she wasn’t going to have a life for a bit. I think she was walking to work that morning and something happened. Either she was snatched or coerced into a vehicle.”

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble Well-Known Member

OMG.

FromGermany and dotr like this.
  3. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

VIDEO - Missing from York for 10 years

[...]

Mr Lawrence has said in the past that he believed his daughter, who was 35 when she went missing in March 2009, was still alive.

Ten years on he is less certain.

He says it's been “Horrible” not knowing what has happened to his daughter.

4. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Claudia's dad just destroys me. My lovely dad died a few years ago and I almost want to adopt Peter Lawrence as my own.

5. FromGermany

FromGermany Well-Known Member

Claudia Lawrence search hit by 'withholding of key information'

"Unless we get information or intelligence to suggest that Claudia came to harm as a result of an opportunity taken by someone unconnected to her, me and the team still strongly believe the answer lies locally.
    -.-
    "We know also that her mobile phone didn't leave the area before it left the phone network," he added

"This again is a reason I don't believe she fell victim to an attack by a stranger.
    -.-
    "The call we really want is the one that helps piece together the parts of the jigsaw we already know regarding her last movements and people she associated with and places frequented," he added.

6. FromGermany

Man near alley 'still key' in Claudia case

"I cannot fully accept anything as to the identity of a suggested person, i.e. the man near the alleyway behind Claudia's home, unless we have conclusive evidence to back the information up," said Det Supt Malyn.

jessie, Officer Dibble, dotr and 2 others like this.
  7. FromGermany

Claudia Lawrence investigation: 10th anniversary of her disappearance and suspected murder in York - North Yorkshire Police

“We have also brought a number of experts onto this case throughout the duration of the review and will continue to do so if we believe they can add value.

“As ever, our thoughts and continued support are with Claudia’s loved ones on this very poignant occasion.

“We all hope that those responsible for her disappearance and suspected murder are brought to justice.”

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1, and pass details to the Force Control Room.

8. FromGermany

Mrs Marple, dotr, neverletgo and 2 others like this.
  9. Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Member

I've always found this a very odd story and remember it vaguely from the time. I then came across the recent BBC article the other day and it renewed my interest.

I feel sorry for her dad, and I really do wonder what became of her. Even if she was having an affair or two, I really don't see how this could have possibly led to her being murdered. It's all very bizarre.

A logical theory would be that she simply grew tired of her life in York and chose to disappear, but if she'd done that then surely she'd at the very least have let her dad know she was alright.

I wonder if we'll ever find out. I suspect not.

FromGermany, Officer Dibble and dotr like this.
  10. Lass from Yorkshire

Lass from Yorkshire Well-Known Member

I don’t agree there - affairs are the basis of many crimes. If those affairs have caused or were looking like they may cause a breakup of a marriage(s), there’s a lot of emotion there to fuel god knows what.

I hope one day the truth will come out. Either by advancement in science or most likely, someone will finally do the right thing and come forward. I don’t know how I could sleep at night keeping secrets at this level..

11. Mrs Marple

Mrs Marple Well-Known Member

Agree Lass from Yorkshire, l think her private life had everything to do with it. It's a shame the police didn't take up the opportunity to prick a few consciences today. They know who did it, they just can't prove it.

PeachUK, Cherwell, jessie and 4 others like this.
  12. Officer Dibble

Exactly. How do you a woman partner of someone she was having an affair with didn't order a hitman for instance?

Cherwell, FromGermany, dotr and 2 others like this.
  13. Lass from Yorkshire

Lass from Yorkshire Well-Known Member

History shows this happens a lot!

Officer Dibble, FromGermany and dotr like this.
  14. Pinkizzy

Pinkizzy Active Member

I reckon she was not at home when her mum called her on the evening before she disappeared. The TV was on in the background and she was on her mobile so I guess she could be at a friend's house or pub.

Officer Dibble and dotr like this.
  15. FromGermany

"Man in Alley still key" .... and maybe still dead (heart attack) and no one is investigating because of reputation?

dotr, cybervampira and Mrs Marple like this.
  16. FromGermany

I wouldn't want to adopt someone, before I would know, why someone got divorced.

dotr likes this.
  17. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

It's been 10 years ...

Long and detailed BBC article about Claudia and the investigation into her disappearance. A good read to fresh up everyone's memory or for newcomers to get to know the case.

What happened to Claudia? - BBC News

FromGermany, Mrs Marple and dotr like this.
  18. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

"Then in March 2016, the Crown Prosecution Service abandoned proceedings, citing a lack of evidence."

What happened to Claudia? - BBC News

dotr likes this.
  19. Officer Dibble

Good point

dotr likes this.
  20. Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Member

I think it's extremely unlikely that an affair resulted in (presumably) the scorned wife having Claudia murdered.

Kitkat28 and dotr like this.