UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing is it was lone working with dangerous equipment, I don't suppose I would like to get out the cab wander about and check the bins in the dark by myself a little bit spooky, frightening and possibly dangerous in this day and age

Im still amazed that it would be allowed, any Biffa lorry I see locally always has two operatives, day and night. Even in the council we were told don't go do work by yourself.

Yes you are right itis not Biffas fault CM is in the bin. He either got in himself or someone put him there, However it would be lax if the bin wasn't checked by the employee prior to loading..

I have another question we have learnt that the average weight of Gregg,s waste over the last few months has been 11kg but is that per week, per day, per month and that price is by collection and not weight. I was wondering how many times a week is 11kg picked up because it strikes me as an awfully small amount to collect and if the weight had been misinterpreted once is it possible it had been misinterpreted many times just pondering.

Rated to carry not a biffa bin so similar
  • Rated to carry 450kg
https://www.wheeliebins.co.uk/1100-litre-wheelie-bins.html

I don't think we can rely on the average previous collection weight being 11kg. It's not likely that they only made one mistake, many people queried how the weight could be so low right from the start IMO they were right to be sceptical, I think Biiffa's records can't be relied upon for investigative purposes.

In this regard I'm not criticising Biffa, it's down to them how accurate their records are but I am very critical of them for not making it clear to the police that they should not assume the weights were accurate.

I don't see Biffa at fault for C being able to get into or be put into the bin but after that, yes, I think they are to blame even if a legal charge of corporate manslaughter can't be made

JMO

Exactly! That would have saved months of wasted police time and effort. Why suddenly decide to inform the police now? Either Biffa are massively incompetent or there's something fishy going on.

IME pretty much always *advertiser censored* up over conspiracy

JMO

That's interesting, I wonder if they carry torches for checking at night? I must admit I had no idea these things get collected through the night.

I guess the driver might face disciplinary action if he went against training and didn't check, though I'm sure he feels pretty terrible now regardless. I still can't imagine there would be any legal case to answer.

I had no idea bins were collected at 4am either.

Thinking about checking the bins though I can't see a way for a driver to be able to carry out a rigourous bin check, the bins are quite tall, even if they were able to lift the lid and look inside they aren't going to be able to see anything other than the top of the waste so wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if anyone was underneath and had covered themselves to keep warm.

I can't think of a foolproof way to check

JMO

Hopefully they'll find also his phone and there is something to prove what happened...?

tbh I think the phone's probably irrelevant now, it's looking more like misadventure or accident, I don't think they'd find anything to help on the phone

JMO

Yep I find this hard to understand as well, not only no forensics in the bin but none in the lorry on the outside or underneath it Which I find really odd.

R

I'm not too surprised, council bin lorries in my area are always clean and I saw a Biffa lorry today that looked pretty clean too, I'd guess the lorry would have been washed many times befoe the police got to it and I'd imagine that the inside or both the bins and the lorry would be far to dirty to find and forensis after any length of time

JMO

I had no idea bins were collected at 4am either.

Thinking about checking the bins though I can't see a way for a driver to be able to carry out a rigourous bin check, the bins are quite tall, even if they were able to lift the lid and look inside they aren't going to be able to see anything other than the top of the waste so wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if anyone was underneath and had covered themselves to keep warm.

I can't think of a foolproof way to check

JMO

All commercial bins are provided with a lock perhaps commercial organisations should start using those locks. This should be done especially on the recycling bins as they are cleaner and warmer than general waste.

1. Then on collection the Driver /Bin Men have to get out to unlock it
2. Whilst he is unlocking it s/he might as well check
3. It would also prevent opportunists placing their own rubbish in the bins

All commercial bins are provided with a lock perhaps commercial organisations should start using those locks. This should be done especially on the recycling bins as they are cleaner and warmer than general waste.

Keeping the bins locked would go a long way to solve the problem of people getting into the bins but tbh I can see why this doesn't happen. If multiple people in an organisation are taking rubbish out every day I can see exactly why they'd find it easier to leave it open to save hassle with where the key is and people remembering to put it back for the next person (unless everyone had a key which seems like overkill)

My problem with the bin driver check is the logisitics of how it's done, how can they properly check a bin full to the brim of rubbish of any kind when they'd have to be 6 foot plus tall to even see the top layer

Keeping the bins locked would go a long way to solve the problem of people getting into the bins but tbh I can see why this doesn't happen. If multiple people in an organisation are taking rubbish out every day I can see exactly why they'd find it easier to leave it open to save hassle with where the key is and people remembering to put it back for the next person (unless everyone had a key which seems like overkill)

My problem with the bin driver check is the logisitics of how it's done, how can they properly check a bin full to the brim of rubbish of any kind when they'd have to be 6 foot plus tall to even see the top layer

Well I suppose it should be locked as part of closing duties and opened as part of opening duties asI presume people tend to get in them during the evening. I may well be wrong in that assumption.

R

The crazy things people do when drunk and or cold.

If only he had went back to his car for a proper heat.

I am speachless over all this. It must be terrible for the family and I feel it for the searchers at the landfill also, what a task to have to carry out! How likely is it Corrie will be found? I just don't know. :(

Can anyone explain in a relatively sanitised fashion the state C's body might be in? Is it likely to have remained relatively in one piece? I agree otherwise whoever said that if he was buried relatively quickly then he might be better preserved than if he had remained on/near the surface.

His poor family, what a terrible end.

I am speachless over all this. It must be terrible for the family and I feel it for the searchers at the landfill also, what a task to have to carry out! How likely is it Corrie will be found? I just don't know. :(

Im really not convinced and sit on the proverbial fence 50/50. I just don't think they would search it without any reasonable cause and only hope LE/SP have checked the bin lorry weights all the way back to ensure they haven't been misinterpreted previously. Because If so we would be back to square 1.

Can anyone explain in a relatively sanitised fashion the state C's body might be in? Is it likely to have remained relatively in one piece? I agree otherwise whoever said that if he was buried relatively quickly then he might be better preserved than if he had remained on/near the surface.

His poor family, what a terrible end.

Warning - some may find graphic. I've tried to word as sensitively as I can.

I saw the post about the lack of oxygen but that's assuming that a reasonably high volume of more waste was piled on top and around within a very short period of time. In that scenario it does make sense.
However, if it was some time before much more waste was added, well there could have been considerable animal activity - eg rats, carnivorous/scavenger birds - in the meantime that would cause 'movement' to body parts.

To answer your question about relatively in one piece then, the best answer is 'it depends'.

Im really not convinced and sit on the proverbial fence 50/50. I just don't think they would search it without any reasonable cause and only hope LE/SP have checked the bin lorry weights all the way back to ensure they haven't been misinterpreted previously. Because If so we would be back to square 1.
What if SP are still being misled and someone knows where the body is and they know it is not in landfill because they disposed of it elsewhere? I know, far fetched but just a thought.

3. It would also prevent opportunists placing their own rubbish in the bins
Under the Environment Protection Act 1990 (Section 34), the company whose waste it is has a Duty of Care to ensure their waste is kept secure until it is collected. Failure to do so can mean a hefty fine. All such bins should be locked and if they were, it would be much harder for anyone to climb in or be put in one.

What if SP are still being misled and someone knows where the body is and they know it is not in landfill because they disposed of it elsewhere? I know, far fetched but just a thought.
Shire don't go there my head is hurting from all the possibilities. I have to presume for sanity's sake the maths and the checking have now been done and LE is not reliant on one figure from one collection. Lets just hope he is found and that his family and friends get answers to their questions.

IME pretty much always *advertiser censored* up over conspiracy

JMO

I tend to agree with you. I think the idea of a Biffa employee accidentally killing Corrie, disposing of the body and then covering it up is pretty unlikely. I was thinking more, perhaps, that Biffa were trying to cover up the fact that they hadn't followed correct procedures (e.g. in taking the bin to landfill rather than the recycling plant), but you'd hope that even there they'd have the sense to realise it wasn't a good idea to hinder a police investigation. It seems much more likely that they accidentally gave the wrong weight to police, though why they apparently gave it with such confidence is the bit that puzzles. They could just have said "We can't be sure this number was recorded accurately."

Then again, perhaps they did say that and perhaps the police are trying to cover up their own ineptitude by passing the blame onto Biffa...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam