UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do private investigators actually take on cases like this? From what I've seen they have no access to confidential records, they can't obtain information by breaking the law (so trackers etc) what will this person do? Answer the phones and write reports for the police?

IMO that if you put your faith in the police and they say to Nicola Corrie cant walk out that horseshoe without been seen you would TRUST them but if like Nicola has done spoken to locals who have more knowledge and maybe little proof that you can infact walk out that horseshoe mmmm

But did police say this? Tony has certainly said it, he refers to military testing that says it. The police have never publicly said it.

What do people have on the thoughts of the blue car? I know it has cropped up a few times and salvage yard has been mentioned do people think as to whether forensics have been done on the car has it ever been searched? I do have the memory span of a goldfish :( and too much to trawl through to find any answers Thanks
We have been waiting with baited breath for details of the 3 vehicles. There was enormous speculation about the silver car. Now this car pops up, inadvertently or deliberately, who the flip knows, in the footage and it is parked just around the corner at a similar time to the 3 teens. Did any of us notice this before bestie ? I don't understand.

But who have said who's been interviewed and who haven't? The family, the same family who have said you 100% can't walk out of the horseshoe without being seen which the police have not confirmed.

I don't think the police are anywhere near as incompentent as they've been made out to be. I refuse to believe they've done searched, the cctv and that's barely it. Things do take time and it is difficult but I don't know that it wouldn't constitute as being "betrayed" you know?

I am curious as to the nature of the "betrayed" comment as it seems out of place in all the information we've been given so far, which makes me believe it is something critical that was overlooked.

In listening to ACC Pepper, she certainly made a strong argument that all agencies have been actively investigating the case as she listed all of their efforts. I just can't escape the feeling that regardless of all they've done, they've just been following instructions out of a manual and haven't had the resources or out-of-the-box thinking that this particular case requires.

From the justgiving page: When we find Corrie, any remaining funds may be used for Corrie's possible care

Also another odd phrasing. And on rereading they're hiring a data analyst for all the processing so the pi wouldnt be doing that.

Hi Guys, when you've watched the special program airing tonight would you mind detailing any new information on here, i won't be able to view it unfortunately, thanks in advance

Dcflag totally agree with that maybe the police need to start saying a bit more as there getting to look like fools even newsreader ate the police alive to me that ACC Pepper wasn't confident enough infact I thought at the end she was literally going to break down x

We have been waiting with baited breath for details of the 3 vehicles. There was enormous speculation about the silver car. Now this car pops up, inadvertently or deliberately, who the flip knows, in the footage and it is parked just around the corner at a similar time to the 3 teens. Did any of us notice this before bestie ? I don't understand.

JMO but I don't think this blue car is related to the case. It just happened to be in the frame of the camera before it panned to the movement of the three pedestrians. If it were Corrie's ride out of Bury, why wouldn't he have met the driver right there on the street? Even if it were a secret type of hook-up, it's not like the area was packed with people who would have seen them driving off.

Hi Guys, when you've watched the special program airing tonight would you mind detailing any new information on here, i won't be able to view it unfortunately, thanks in advance

I'm sure it will be covered, I might not get to watch it at 7 but if it's not done by the time I watch it I will

Do private investigators actually take on cases like this?

Here in the UK they would certainly take on "trace" work, ie finding mispers, but it's usually in cases where the police would not get involved. The police obviously investigate missing kids and vulnerable adults, and no doubt Corrie's case because of his military status. But finding longlost aunties, adult children and suchlike, no. That's really where a PI is involved. That and finding absconding debtors.

From what I've seen they have no access to confidential records, they can't obtain information by breaking the law (so trackers etc)

Correct on confidential records and breaking the law. Actually the use of trackers is perfectly legal in the UK providing you don't break any laws in doing so. So you can attach a tracker underneath a vehicle but cannot break into it to put the tracker inside. In some respects using trackers as part of surveillance is preferable to following someone directly by vehicle - less chance of an accident or being spotted and no having to break the speed limit to keep up if the target does.

what will this person do? Answer the phones and write reports for the police?

I would guess they will have to reinvent the wheel and go over much of the same ground as the police already have. They may uncover information that the police have but haven't shared with the family. Then again they may not.

From the justgiving page: When we find Corrie, any remaining funds may be used for Corrie's possible care

Also another odd phrasing. And on rereading they're hiring a data analyst for all the processing so the pi wouldnt be doing that.
Your right. That is odd wording IMO. What could that mean? I can only guess they are preparing in the event he is alive and for him to return from awol but needing some care for mental or physical welfare.

Dcflag totally agree with that maybe the police need to start saying a bit more as there getting to look like fools even newsreader ate the police alive to me that ACC Pepper wasn't confident enough infact I thought at the end she was literally going to break down x

Did anyone else feel as though she was reading rehearsed answers off a TelePrompTer in some parts of the interview, but when the newscaster asked her something off script, she scrambled for an answer?

JMO but I don't think this blue car is related to the case. It just happened to be in the frame of the camera before it panned to the movement of the three pedestrians. If it were Corrie's ride out of Bury, why wouldn't he have met the driver right there on the street? Even if it were a secret type of hook-up, it's not like the area was packed with people who would have seen them driving off.
we don't know that he didnt meet here do we? We don't know where he was picked up if at all. This car is just around the corner from hughes, the doorway he was in presumably for 2 hours. It must be relevant one way or another imo. I'm questioning everything now.

Here in the UK they would certainly take on "trace" work, ie finding mispers, but it's usually in cases where the police would not get involved. The police obviously investigate missing kids and vulnerable adults, and no doubt Corrie's case because of his military status. But finding longlost aunties, adult children and suchlike, no. That's really where a PI is involved. That and finding absconding debtors.

Correct on confidential records and breaking the law. Actually the use of trackers is perfectly legal in the UK providing you don't break any laws in doing so. So you can attach a tracker underneath a vehicle but cannot break into it to put the tracker inside. In some respects using trackers as part of surveillance is preferable to following someone directly by vehicle - less chance of an accident or being spotted and no having to break the speed limit to keep up if the target does.

I would guess they will have to reinvent the wheel and go over much of the same ground as the police already have. They may uncover information that the police have but haven't shared with the family. Then again they may not.

So this is an unusual case for a pi and there's not really much they can do outside what the police can except may follow a few people the family think are relevant? Or provide new leads that the police may or may not follow up?

Did anyone else feel as though she was reading rehearsed answers off a TelePrompTer in some parts of the interview, but when the newscaster asked her something off script, she scrambled for an answer?

I didn't feel like she was reading, just generally scrambling with the passive aggressiveness of the interview. I don't know that she was expecting that. I think she was also pretty annoyed at having to do it, they probably weren't well prepared if the Nicola statement came out of the blue.

i dont know alot about interviews and such but what I don't understand is if you make a powerful judgement like Nicola has ( I'm not criticising her as you all no ive been here myself) but surely public broadcast like that she has to answer why they have let her down surely she cant just leave it like that as it looks so bad with her being a police officer herself x

On the other hand, they (police officials) may want her to keep quiet in case she has a legitimate complaint that might further the rift between the public's opinion of police efficiency.

The family undoubtedly have been keeping their own records of leads, information shared by police, and other statements to give the PI a good head start on the case. Let's hope the PI is prior MoD and still has connections on the force, or a good prior relationship with local police, so that evidence doesn't "go missing" as mentioned earlier on this thread.
sorry but what evidence has gone missing? I must have missed that. What post was that?

I agree it's strange. What are they hoping a pi to do. Would they have access to all current evidence and info?

No. A PI, even an ex-cop, is a civilian, to whom the police would not hand over evidence.

Plus if they find anything wouldn't they have to turn it over to the police?

Yes, if they come across genuine evidence relating to a police case a reputable PI will take that info to the police.

If there's no regulations are you not breaking the law by getting involved in an investigation?

No. Basically, English law works on the principle that if the law doesn't specifically prohibit something, it's generally lawful to do it. Most continental law works on the opposite basis, ie if the law does not specifically permit something it's usually illegal.

As things stand, anyone can set themselves up as a PI in the UK.

Could this not compromise the investigation?

Yes.

Should this pi find anything how would they process or test anything without breaking the law (assuming they have resources)

It's very unlikely they would be able to test anything, by which I assume you mean forensically. That they really would need to hand over to the police.

So this is an unusual case for a pi and there's not really much they can do outside what the police can except may follow a few people the family think are relevant? Or provide new leads that the police may or may not follow up?

Yep, that's just about it.

Yep, that's just about it.

That's an awful lot of money when you're still ultimately relying on the police. Even more so if you inadvertently contaminate evidence found, anything is inadmissible or you compromise the polices investigation in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288