UK UK - Criminology student / suspected serial killer arrested in Yorkshire

'Serial killer' could be moved to hospital after prison cell suicide attempt
10th June 2010

Alleged serial murderer Stephen Griffiths is in hospital after he tried to suffocate himself in his prison cell.

Griffiths, 40, who is charged with killing three prostitutes, was found slumped unconscious with a sock around his neck yesterday.
---
Psychiatrists have been asked to assess whether Griffiths, who is awaiting trial, should be moved to a hospital because of concerns over his mental health.
---

and more, at
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ved-hospital-prison-cell-suicide-attempt.html

'Serial killer' could be moved to hospital after prison cell suicide attempt
10th June 2010

Alleged serial murderer Stephen Griffiths is in hospital after he tried to suffocate himself in his prison cell.

Griffiths, 40, who is charged with killing three prostitutes, was found slumped unconscious with a sock around his neck yesterday.
---
Psychiatrists have been asked to assess whether Griffiths, who is awaiting trial, should be moved to a hospital because of concerns over his mental health.
---

and more, at
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ved-hospital-prison-cell-suicide-attempt.html

Whaaaaat?

He murders all these women and then tries to kill himself with a sock? Do they have lightbulbs in them prisons. He could easily just eat a lightbulb.

Of course he has mental health issues. Too little too late. JMO but I say keep him there. No hospital for him. He had time to go in one while he was carousing and murdering women. Heck, he was making it to school.

I bet he's missing his lizards.

Whaaaaat?

He murders all these women and then tries to kill himself with a sock? Do they have lightbulbs in them prisons. He could easily just eat a lightbulb.

Of course he has mental health issues. Too little too late. JMO but I say keep him there. No hospital for him. He had time to go in one while he was carousing and murdering women. Heck, he was making it to school.

I bet he's missing his lizards.

LOL. "Ouch, my funny ribs." Great response. And - exactly!

For some reason, I had missed the surmise that he shot one of his victims with a bolt from a crossbow and LE was investigating the possibility that he then ingested a part of the woman - and thus "the Crossbow Cannibal." As I read that in one of the tabloids, that could be sheer fiction, of course.

Easy to see why a part of England clamors for the return of public hangings.

Just caught up on this thread this morning. This is one seriously warped guy. He had a huge picture of himself on his bedroom wall? Ewww.

very similar case to the Ipswich murder of prostitutes by Steve Wright, wonder if he will go for a mental health defence,

I missed when he was at Rampton but here is some history of the facility.

Rampton Hospital houses about 400 patients who have been detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 under one of these classifications:
  • Mental illness
  • Psychopathic (personality) disorder
  • (Severe) mental impairment, which is the legal term for what would now be called a learning disability.[1]
Rampton Hospital has a staff of about 2000 and provides the national service for patients with a learning disability, women and deaf people requiring high security care. It also provides services for men suffering from mental illness and personality disorder. The hospital has a Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorder Unit opened in 2004 as part of a national DSPD pilot (the Peaks Unit).
About a quarter of the patients have had no significant contact with the criminal justice system, but have been detained under the Mental Health Act and are considered to require treatment in conditions of high security owing to their "dangerous, violent or criminal propensities". Others have been convicted of an offence by the courts and either ordered to be detained in hospital or subsequently transferred there from prison.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampton_Secure_Hospital[/ame]

Even as a child I knew that Rampton was known as one of the hospitals for severe cases of mental issues and all these years later it still has the same chilling affect on me.

LOL. "Ouch, my funny ribs." Great response. And - exactly!

For some reason, I had missed the surmise that he shot one of his victims with a bolt from a crossbow and LE was investigating the possibility that he then ingested a part of the woman - and thus "the Crossbow Cannibal." As I read that in one of the tabloids, that could be sheer fiction, of course.

Easy to see why a part of England clamors for the return of public hangings.

I know wfgodot. It's not funny, but come on. You go around murdering women well even chasing them and shoot them with a crossbow and probably eat parts of their body and ya try and off yourself with a sock?:doh:

Unfortunately yes they have that live on video that the beautiful Ms. Blamires was shot in the head with the crossbow. The flesh part I'm not even going to write about.

Belinda says he had a photograph of himself up in his room. A big one. See, that gets me as well. Like, who does that?:waitasec:

Not sure if he was or went to Rampton, but thank you to SallyLu for all the information. Hospitals for the criminally insane just have a way of freaking ya out from the time you are a child then into adulthood. Well, obviously but anyone did this stuff is criminally insane in my book.

I never can get over though how these guys have/had like real live "normal" run of the mill girlfriends. Just like you and I. It always makes me wonder like about any a tad off guy I dated or something. Who is capable of such horrendous actions?:eek:

Double post, sorry.

Wakefield Prison is in trouble. This murderer was supposed to be monitored on a surveilance camera constantly. A guard happened to look up at the monitor and was like "Holy crapolla he's trying to kill himself". And?

Griffith's put a plastic bag over his head. (Why is there a plastic bag in his cell?) and then tied his socks around that. Guards pulled the bag off just in time.

LE are mad. They put so much time into catching this cat I can just imagine. It's the same prison Ian Huntley overdosed in twice. Then another murderer a Doctor successfully commited suicide.

Griffiths has not been moved to a Psych hospital. He's now in the secured medical unit of Wakefield.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fiths-suicide-bid-CCTV.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Just keeping up with the news.

This guy is trying to quit smoking. He smoked two packs a day. I guess you are permitted to smoke still in England's prisons? Must be because he has a reason to quit.

His health.:doh:

That's what he says. Why is this news worthy? Because they are giving him what we call Chantix. Maybe it's got a different name in England? Champix. Anywho that supposedly leads to suicidal tendencies and he just tried to commit suicide.

Not certain if this is in euros or what but they tell the cost of the medication and how long he will be on it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...given-no-smoking-drug-on-nhs-115875-22346105/

You murder these poor women. Women with addictions so you then go to prison and need a drug to help you kick your habit?

How does this world work? Seriously.

that article says pfizer says there are no links to suicidal tendancies but the drug's wiki says otherwise. FWIW

I thought they couldnt smoke in prisons here. Ian Brady had to quit but he's got himself in a mental unit also.

My husband and I both tried Chantix trying to quit smoking. It made us both very nauseous and we had to go off of it, but I didn't note any other weird side effects.

My husband and I both tried Chantix trying to quit smoking. It made us both very nauseous and we had to go off of it, but I didn't note any other weird side effects.

So, how'd the quitting go, B?;) DD claims her friend tried it to quit and was acting like a raging lunatic. I reminded her that she did that anyway.

In all sincerity I have heard people get suicide ideation while on it. Why they're telling us about this guy I don't know?

So, now he's in a cell much like the charachter Hannibal Lecter had in "Silence Of The Lambs".

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/141596

So, how'd the quitting go, B?;) DD claims her friend tried it to quit and was acting like a raging lunatic. I reminded her that she did that anyway.

In all sincerity I have heard people get suicide ideation while on it. Why they're telling us about this guy I don't know?

So, now he's in a cell much like the charachter Hannibal Lecter had in "Silence Of The Lambs".

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/141596

It didn't, unfortunately. Still smoking like a freight train. I have also tried Zyban before and that turned me into a raging lunatic. Even my daughter remembers me being on that and she was little. Not pretty. I've tried just about everything there is to try.

So, why exactly are they paying for an expensive anti-smoking treatment for a serial killer? If they want to treat it, why not give him the much less expensive generic smoking patches? Generally, you want to treat nicotine withdrawal in order to prevent someone from becoming an ax murderer, but since he already is..... :waitasec:

you'd think with his fascination with murders and that he is one himself, he'd be honoured. Silly bugger taking ideas from ian brady who's been on a hunger strike for many many years, they just tube feed him. they will tube feed this one too.

A hunger strike?

LOL...........good.

Don't eat again and maybe your "attempt" will be successful.

you'd think with his fascination with murders and that he is one himself, he'd be honoured. Silly bugger taking ideas from ian brady who's been on a hunger strike for many many years, they just tube feed him. they will tube feed this one too.

O/T but I had to ask. Ian Brady is still alive? I had no idea 2goldfish. I know she got out and is prancing around.

Alive and on a feeding tube. Just great.:doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back