GUILTY UK - Dawn Walker, 52, newly married, Lightcliffe, Halifax 31st October 2021

Tortoise

Reaction score
Police have arrested a groom for allegedly murdering his bride just four days after their wedding - with her body found dumped in a suitcase near her home.

The discovery on Sunday near a playground in Lightcliffe on the outskirts of Halifax came after Dawn Walker, 52, who has a toddler son, tied the knot last Wednesday.

West Yorkshire Police have now arrested her new husband, father-of-three Thomas Nutt, 45, on suspicion of murder and are seeking no other suspects over the killing.

The couple got married at a registry office in Halifax in a ceremony attended by relatives and friends and were photographed signing the register with a child.

Forensic investigators have been searching the couple's home in Brighouse and continue to question scrapman Nutt. His wife is believed to have been strangled.

[...]

Murder detectives are keen to speak with the person who called them to report the death. The individual did not identify themselves to officers.

Police were initially called at 4.38pm on Sunday and are now keen to know more about suspicious activity in the hours leading up to that point.

[...]

'The 45-year-old male arrested on suspicion of murder still remains in custody at this time.'

Police arrest groom, 45, for allegedly murdering his bride, 52 | Daily Mail Online

During a two-minute hearing, a court official said: "Mr Nutt you appear before the court today for an offence of murder where it is said between the 27th October and the 31st October this year at 33 Shirley Grove in Brighouse you murdered Dawn Walker. [...]

Chairman of the bench, Mrs Storr, told Nutt that the offence was too serious to be dealt with at the magistrates' court and would be sent to Bradford Crown Court, with a hearing tomorrow, November 4.

Nutt was remanded in custody.

Man in court charged with Dawn Walker's murder - here's what happened

The house was decorated for hallowe'en

13165165.jpg

Man charged with woman's murder makes first court appearance

Husband, 45, is charged with murdering his new bride, 52 | Daily Mail Online
This article says he’s a scrap metal dealer. There’s no mention of the little boy at the wedding, just her 3 grown-up daughters and his 3 children from previous relationships. As it’s unusual to give birth at 50, maybe the early info was incorrect and the boy is his son or her grandchild (her family refer to her as a grandmother, as well as a mother and a sister)

Quoted from your link -

"Defence barrister Abigail Langford told the court: "I can say the issue in the case will be he did not intend to kill her."

She said it was possible that the issue of "provocation" could be raised.

[...]

A trial date has been provisionally set for 25 July."

Miss Langford said that Nutt had agreed to be assessed by a psychiatrist because of the circumstances and background to the case.

A seven-day trial was fixed for July 25 next year when Nutt will be represented by leading counsel Stephen Wood QC.

The Recorder of Bradford, Judge Richard Mansell QC, said the court would try to find an earlier date or perhaps look elsewhere on the circuit for one.

Man admits killing Dawn Walker whose body was found in a suitcase

I think self-defence would be a lawful reason to kill someone.
Of course, there’s self-defence. Although I don’t think it would have occurred to anyone that he could have acted in self-defence, not least because of his size compared to that of his wife… so why stress the ‘unlawful’ element.

The mention of ‘provocation’ does not sit well with me at all. As if she somehow asked for it… Totally disgraceful imo

Of course, there’s self-defence. Although I don’t think it would have occurred to anyone that he could have acted in self-defence, not least because of his size compared to that of his wife… so why stress the ‘unlawful’ element.

The mention of ‘provocation’ does not sit well with me at all. As if she somehow asked for it… Totally disgraceful imo
I think he's going to be pleading guilty to manslaughter, goodness knows why they're referring to it that way.

Posted by @Tortoise:
"I think self-defence would be a lawful reason to kill someone."

Yes, agreeing.
Well, that is, if the husband here actually met self defense elements.

Seems here, by asking for psychiatric assessment of husband, his atty is trying to build evd. of insanity or diminished responsibility (or equivalent).
Info & links in my next post. my2ct.

ETA: married less than a week??? Sad, sad, sad. RIP MS Walker.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030
Back