'UK - Epsom college head Emma Pattinson, 45, found dead on campus along with husband George, 39, and daughter, Lettie, 7 - 6 Feb 2023

Here in the UK, if you hold a gun licence you can keep you guns at home as long as they are stored in a locked cabinet, which has to be secured to the wall.

Yes I know, but that’s only safe if the owner of the license and holder of the key to the secure cabinet isn’t going to commit murder. How would we ever know if they are or aren’t? I’m questioning why any gun cabinet should be allowed in a house rather than at the shooting range or wherever it is the guns are used, where presumably there would be even greater security.
I agree, I think where guns are used recreationally they should be held at the gun club / shooting range.

George Pattison had not been previously reported to the police, sources reportedly told The Times.

However, in 2016 he reported his wife to Surrey police for allegedly striking him, the newspaper claimed.

She was spoken to by officers but her husband quickly withdrew the complaint, saying it was trivial.

Source:

George Pattison had not been previously reported to the police, sources reportedly told The Times.

However, in 2016 he reported his wife to Surrey police for allegedly striking him, the newspaper claimed.

She was spoken to by officers but her husband quickly withdrew the complaint, saying it was trivial.

Source:

Well that's interesting. Sounds like they might have had a pretty volatile relationship.

Here in the UK, if you hold a gun licence you can keep you guns at home as long as they are stored in a locked cabinet, which has to be secured to the wall.

Yes I know, but that’s only safe if the owner of the license and holder of the key to the secure cabinet isn’t going to commit murder. How would we ever know if they are or aren’t? I’m questioning why any gun cabinet should be allowed in a house rather than at the shooting range or wherever it is the guns are used, where presumably there would be even greater security.
The issue can often be that people use multiple ranges. The owner of this firearm may use the college range, along with his own gun club range. That would make it very difficult to store at a single range.

It's also a liability thing for the range. They're quite public places. If they were full to the brim of guns, you'd end up with lots of gangs trying to break in. By storing them at owners houses, and the register of owners being private, that's a lot harder.

The issue can often be that people use multiple ranges. The owner of this firearm may use the college range, along with his own gun club range. That would make it very difficult to store at a single range.

It's also a liability thing for the range. They're quite public places. If they were full to the brim of guns, you'd end up with lots of gangs trying to break in. By storing them at owners houses, and the register of owners being private, that's a lot harder.
Ah. Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that.

Damn, just hearing about this case now. I wonder if she spoke about any relationship problems with anyone or even the reason as to why she called the relative the night before? I guess it'll be revealed if so. Such a sad situation though for everyone involved. :(

I wonder why she called a relative and not the police? Not judging in any way, just curious.
A lot of people in dangerous or frightening situations automatically call a loved one when they should call emergency services. It's a thing. Your brain is in crisis mode, not logic mode, and defaults to people you know and trust rather than qualified strangers. You're right not to judge her at all for it, since a lot of us would likely do exactly the same thing, even though it makes no sense. Brains are strange.

MOO

A lot of people in dangerous or frightening situations automatically call a loved one when they should call emergency services. It's a thing. Your brain is in crisis mode, not logic mode, and defaults to people you know and trust rather than qualified strangers. You're right not to judge her at all for it, since a lot of us would likely do exactly the same thing, even though it makes no sense. Brains are strange.

MOO

Yep that makes sense. And sadly no matter who she called it was unlikely to make any difference to the outcome.

I wonder why she called a relative and not the police? Not judging in any way, just curious.
Maybe it was a relative of her husband and she thought they could calm him down? sadly she may felt embarassed having to call the police to the school, certainly as a new headmistress she could have been thinking of the scene it could have caused and harmed her professional image and that of the school, surmising of course and all to no avail now

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back