ú

UK: Female Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by sleuth777, Jul 3, 2018.

1. emmalpage81

emmalpage81 Well-Known Member

Did the police actually confirm it? Even when they announced she had been bailed they never named her, simply stated 'the woman arrested on Tuesday 3 July has now been bailed pending further enquiries'. (Update on Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit investigation - Cheshire Police).

I had not seen any announcement of her name by the police; I may well have simply missed it.

All IMO

2. Curious.1

Curious.1 Well-Known Member

So she has been bailed - after newspapers published her address, her parents' address, her photos? If she is innocent, her life and future prospects have been destroyed and she well may be in danger. You'd think the papers would learn after being sued in the past for this sort of behaviour.

3. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Agreed, we need a change in the law with cases like this (and rape cases where the man is all over the press and then proven not guilty). I don't know where the line would be drawn, though. For example the Alesha case where the arrested has NOT been named, what if someone has info about him but doesn't know it's him that's been arrested? It's a tricky one. All feels a bit strange does this case.

4. MsGazette

MsGazette Just call me Ms G

Haven’t heard or seen anything on this in a few days. Anyone?

Purplepixii and dotr like this.
  5. Curious.1

No, nothing new. But reading up on here about Rebecca Leighton at Stepping Hill a few years back, it seems that UK police aren't learning their lessons (leaking a name before a charge or conviction). It is a proper modern-day witchhunt IMO. Rebecca says in an article that it was police who set her FB settings from private to public, thus giving the public access to personal posts and photos that she'd never want the world to see. I hope the same hasn't been done to Lucy Letby but there do seem to be a lot of photos of her making the rounds in the media. Nurse cleared of Stepping Hill poisoning sues police

6. Purplepixii

Purplepixii Well-Known Member

Nothing heard either, so I came on here to see if there was any news. I am in 2 minds about this case but am strongly leaning towards "If they've got it wrong, and named an innocent person, her life is over before it's begun".

7. Charliegizmo49

Charliegizmo49 Former Member

With two hospitals involved it can’t be wrong. I don’t see how this can even occur.

MsGazette and dotr like this.
  8. MsGazette

Haven’t seen or heard anything on this one. But I’ve been thinking about it. Hoping they update soon!

dotr likes this.
  9. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

Thread showed up in new posts, and I was so hoping for an update!

10. Curious.1

Hmmmm......it has been quiet on the "killer nurse" front and now someone high up has quit. Poor Lucy. Her life has been altered forever if the accusations weren't true and judging by the way nothing further has happened, I'm guessing she is innocent. Baby deaths inquiry hospital boss resigns

flourish, Al Ka, badgersmythe and 4 others like this.
  11. Purplepixii

Purplepixii Well-Known Member

It could be that police are forming their case, in which case they wouldn't be telling us anything anyway. But I can find nothing about LL in the news/social media that's recent. 2 options: either the police have the correct person & are making their case or they got it completely and utterly wrong. Either way, I wouldn't want to be LL.

flourish and dotr like this.
  12. mtnlites

mtnlites Mystery Machine Driver

STILL no update on this? I am starting to think that this woman may not have maliciously done anything at all. I would wager that she's basically had no life since July. If she's guilty then that's fine. If not, that's terrible.

mrazda71, MsGazette, Tortoise and 4 others like this.
  13. drsam

drsam New Member

I would suggest such a matter is so incredibly serious and sensitive as to have warranted a blanket and indefinite no press, no commentary order at the highest levels of government. This is deduced from the complete and total disappearance of media on this matter post-July. There are four plausible scenarios: 1/ case heard, sentence occurred in secret - total cover up for many reasons; 2/ insufficient evidence; 3/ building of case; 4/ mistake.

Al Ka, StarrChance and dotr like this.
  14. MsGazette

15. mrazda71

mrazda71 Well-Known Member

16. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

Lucy Letby was arrested last July by detectives examining deaths of infants at the Countess of Chester Hospital between 2015 and 2016.

She was originally questioned over the alleged murders of eight babies and the attempted murders of six others.

Police say they are now examining the alleged attempted murders of three other newborns at the hospital's neo-natal unit, taking the total number of potential victims to 17.

The probe has since widened and police are currently investigating the deaths of 17 babies and 16 non-fatal collapses between March 2015 and July 2016.

BBM

IMHO LE should include 'suspicious deaths' or even 'all deaths' from the time before she worked there.

17. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Deleted by me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    Legally Bland and Jax49 like this.
  18. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

Sofar she is a suspect, and nothing has been confirmed, so you may want to add "alleged" to your observations.

I for one have my doubts, starting from page 1 of this thread:

BBM

The so-called average is the sum of all scores divided by the number of scores, and therefore it will always include the extremes on both ends.
    That is a simple matter of math and no indication per se of murder.

I have followed the case of the Dutch nurse Lucia de Berk who was convicted on the basis of statistics that were modelled to achieve that conviction. She was only freed after it was proven that these statistics were no more than lot of hokey pokey.

Recently, in another case, the prosecution tried again to involve the statisticians in the case. Fortunately the Court declined the application.

Recovered/Located - Netherlands - Jos Brech, 55, wanted for murder, Vosges (Fr) winter 2018

StarrChance, mtnlites, Al Ka and 7 others like this.
  19. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Also had some doubt about the case, page 1.
    URL="UK: Female Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies"]UK: Female Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies[/URL]

20. AllyBeeUK

AllyBeeUK Well-Known Member

Police did not "leak" any names to the press. Neighbours told local press as her home was being searched. Police have to be able to investigate, they have to be able to arrest and question as they see fit. If the press choose to release this information and members of the public choose to form an opinion based on that, then that is on them not the police who are doing their job. The publication of the nurse's name has resulted in further information coming to light and the investigation being widened. 17 babies have suffered unexplained fatal collapses, the priority is to find out what happened to them and provide grieving families with answers.

This case is very very close to me, i gave birth in that hospital...there is a lot I could say but I can't and won't at this time. For now, my sympathy is with the babies who should have gone home but didn't.

StarrChance, Al Ka, Sarahlou and 2 others like this.