GUILTY UK - Fusilier Lee Rigby, 25, brutally murdered, Woolwich, 22 May 2013

BadHorsie, you wouldn't see any blood drops on his clothing; it's dark.

I thought perhaps I'd imagined this episode. But nope, here it is...still.

Best-
Herding Cats

one murderer fired a shot at police when they arrived and then reportedly 6 shots were heard and both attackers were shot (possibly dead) by police

I'm so sorry for everyone in Britain that don't have the ability to protect themselves in their own homes tonight after something like this happening. So frightening. I hope this is just a random one time thing and no one else is involved with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF, over?

Are there more details? Anything which would lend some sense to this? I mean, there will be no sense, but still. Anything more which will help me in any way understand at least the motives behind this?

Because if the newest terrorist attacks are hacking random people to death with kitchen cleavers on the city streets by other random folk in broad daylight, and then giving 'interviews'...

It's time to start arming the population. Period.

So someone please make some sense of this for me. And even if you can't, please at least make something up.

Good Lord, have mercy on us all.

Best-
Herding Cats

Simply put, they will change the type of attacks and change the locations, the dates and the people carrying them out and nobody will be able to stop them.

When one hole is plugged, they will find another. When one place is blocked, they will merely go to another place to carry out their plan.

That's why things like TSA searches at airports and the like will never, ever stop terrorism. There will always be a hole and they will always find it or they will make one.

Simply put, they will change the type of attacks and change the locations, the dates and the people carrying them out and nobody will be able to stop them.

When one hole is plugged, they will find another. When one place is blocked, they will merely go to another place to carry out their plan.

That's why things like TSA searches at airports and the like will never, ever stop terrorism. There will always be a hole and they will always find it or they will make one.

As LE say... we need to be lucky every time. The terrorist only needs to be lucky once.

I struggle to believe it took 20 minutes for armed police to arrive - there is a cop shop 200 yards away and this area is not exactly without it's troubles so there is generally a good police presence on the streets. I work there on a regular basis and can't recall a time that I've not seen a police presence either in a car or on foot. Armed police are aplenty at the crown courts a couple of miles to the east.

There is no denying that racial tension is bubbling under the surface pretty much throughout this country and it is not helped by the media highlighting the nationality or religion of the perpetrators of almost every crime they report. They are stoking the slowly burning fire and I fear it is not going to take an awful lot for it to flare up and get out of control.

Arming our citizens is not the answer. We have to remind ourselves that the people who are perpetrating this sort of crime are in the minority. However, I am fearful about the repercussions. Two mosques were attacked last night - one being just 5 miles from me. Again, the people who are carrying out these attacks are in the minority, but I fear the groups of retaliators will grow at a faster rate and the relative anonymity of a riot can appeal to many.

Mosque attacks

Are there more details? Anything which would lend some sense to this? I mean, there will be no sense, but still. Anything more which will help me in any way understand at least the motives behind this?

From what I understand there are large sections of London (i.e. White Chapel) that are basically "no go" areas for indigenous Britians. They have allowed much of their small island to be taken over by folks that basically hate British culture and the British themselves and this is what happens as a result.

Listen to the killer in the video, he sure sounds like he was raised in London yet he refers to himself and "his land" as something that hates the UK and he vows to "never stop fighting it".

I struggle to believe it took 20 minutes for armed police to arrive - there is a cop shop 200 yards away and this area is not exactly without it's troubles so there is generally a good police presence on the streets. I work there on a regular basis and can't recall a time that I've not seen a police presence either in a car or on foot. Armed police are aplenty at the crown courts a couple of miles to the east.

There is no denying that racial tension is bubbling under the surface pretty much throughout this country and it is not helped by the media highlighting the nationality or religion of the perpetrators of almost every crime they report. They are stoking the slowly burning fire and I fear it is not going to take an awful lot for it to flare up and get out of control.

Arming our citizens is not the answer. We have to remind ourselves that the people who are perpetrating this sort of crime are in the minority. However, I am fearful about the repercussions. Two mosques were attacked last night - one being just 5 miles from me. Again, the people who are carrying out these attacks are in the minority, but I fear the groups of retaliators will grow at a faster rate and the relative anonymity of a riot can appeal to many.

Mosque attacks

Good post, and I hope most feel like you do in your last paragraph, and that the UK resists becoming like the US with the "guns for everyone!" mindset.

As i said after the Boston bombing (as well as countless times before that!), as horrific as this attack is, perspective must be kept - an individual person's chances of being caught in a terrorist attack are minuscule. We the public cannot respond in fear and anger. Arming everyone would only make things worse - witness the mosque attacks and racial motivated retaliatory attacks. If those folks had guns, there'd be even worse violence. And really, those revenge attacks are no less terrorism than the original attack is - designed to frighten and victimize innocents.

My thoughts are with all the innocent victims of violence, and their families today. :rose:

Stay safe Amber34. I am horrified by these events!

From what I understand there are large sections of London (i.e. White Chapel) that are basically "no go" areas for indigenous Britians. They have allowed much of their small island to be taken over by folks that basically hate British culture and the British themselves and this is what happens as a result.

Listen to the killer in the video, he sure sounds like he was raised in London yet he refers to himself and "his land" as something that hates the UK and he vows to "never stop fighting it".

A "Home grown terrorist" is how he is being described in the Australian media.
The footage is just so unbelievable..... women waking up to the men covered in blood , holding a knife, after witnessing this horrific crime.

I just keep thinking of that poor soldier just going about his day, walking down the road.... seriously what the hell is the world coming to, why would doing that to another human being be perfectly fine to some people.

Why?

At no point in this piece do I intend to defend any murder or act of terrorism, but we should certainly not tar an entire religion with the same brush as a result of the sinister actions of a few.
At the time of writing this column, too few details exist to write a well-rounded opinion piece on the Woolwich situation, but the furore the EDL is creating on Twitter is unsettling.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/woolwich-attack-the-edl-will-seek-to-exploit-this-evil-crime-for-their-own-evil-ends-8628100.html

EDL is a far right organisation that can be compared to the Aryan Brotherhood in the USA.
This incident will see their ranks swell :(

My youngest's 'boyfriend' (and I use the term loosely as they have never met in person and we live in Indiana, but I digress...) is a university student in the UK. Journalism major.

His facebook conversations with friends in the UK have been enlightening to say the least. Several of his friends were rather shocked when I tell them how US law enforcement officers are put on desk duty while every single police-action shooting is examined. They are under the impression that it's still 'Wild West' over here. Interesting.

Really surprised at the lack of discussion of this on web sleuths.

There is nowhere in London that is no go for those of us who were raised here. Some people may say they don't feel comfortable in ethnically diverse areas, but that is their personal issue and not one that necessarily reflects the safety or atmosphere of the district. There are more social problems in inner cities all over and estates in London I wouldn't choose to live on if I had the choice, nor wander in around after dark, but I think that probably applies to anywhere!

Yes, there are areas of London where white British are the ethnic minority - Tower Hamlets (which incorporates Whitechapel) is one of those boroughs and also has the biggest Bangladeshi community. I like the ethnically diverse areas and I know that they are populated by good people of all ethnicities, most of whom want the same easy going, happy life that I do.

Back the the killer - he was raised in Romford, which is a predominantly Christian town on the very outskirts of London. From a strong Christian background he converted to Islam in his teens and joined the extremest Islamic groups.

Michael Adebolajo

I can't help but question what the appeal was - was it the pull of the Islamic religion, or the thrill of having an excuse for an extremist approach that encouraged his conversion? Could it be considered a type of brainwashing?

0523_britain-attack-624x439.jpg

Police officers lay down floral tributes handed to them by members of the public at the scene of a terror attack in Woolwich, southeast London, Thursday, May 23, 2013.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back