UK - Gaia Pope, 19, found deceased, Swanage, Dorset, 7 Nov 2017 #2

I am surprised the police didn't ask landowners to check their land then, or search it themselves. 11 days really is a long time for someone so close especially with clothes in full view.

I would question whether she’d been dead for 11 days. There’s nothing to say she hadn’t been hiding out somewhere, had another episode and then went to where she was found.
Which could explain why neither her clothes or Gaia herself were spotted in the primary searches.
I imagine the autopsy would be able to indicate how long she had been deceased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temperatures that night were around 4°C at sea level so with the altitude and wind and it was probably closer to freezing. It was raining which would cool her down even quicker and climbing that hill gets you sweaty so that would also increase the rate at which she cooled. Add in the fact that she wasn't wearing a coat so her clothes would have been saturated and you have all of the ingredients for hypothermia. Her epilepsy and any medication she was on could have also been a contributing factor.
It's also worth noting that alot of medication for epilepsy and mental health disorders lower blood pressure and depress respiration and body processes putting people more at risk of exposure and respiratory failure.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Teenager Gaia Pope died from hypothermia, an inquest heard.

Gaia, 19, was reported missing on November 7 last year.

Her body was not found until 11 days later by police search teams, close to the Swanage coastal path.
Tests proved Gaia had died from hypothermia, Pathologist Dr Russell Delaney told a Bournemouth hearing today.

Coroner Rachael Griffin said she would be seeking a response from Dorset Police over the way they handled Gaia's disappearance.

Mrs Griffin's demand comes after the student's family complained that police were keeping them in the dark during their search and investigation.She said: 'I am fully aware the family have a number on concerns into Gaia's death. Some of them will be very relevant to my inquiry.

'I will request a statement from Dorset police about the missing persons investigation undertaken and the investigation around the circumstances of her death.'

Mrs Griffin will also be demanding answers from police and Dorset County Council's social services department over concerns raised by Gaia's family regarding the teenager's sexual abuse allegations.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-hypothermia-inquest-hears.html#ixzz570XZqaKK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So it seems she was hypothermic prior to running to the couple at which point she began to paradoxically undress, then headed to where she was found burrowed and nude. The question remains, how did she get so cold to begin with? Was it natural or a medical event?

A grandfather has hit out at 'blinkered' police who arrested three members of his family and 'put them through a horrendous ordeal' in the search for missing teenager Gaia Pope.

Mr Elsey claimed Dorset Police have not yet apologised to his family for putting them through the 'horrendous' ordeal.

He said: 'The police were so blinkered they went after my family and didn't take into consideration anything else (about her disappearance).

'Gaia was apparently found in one of her favourite places. Surely it would have just taken a bit of common sense to look there.

'The whole experience was really horrendous for my family but the police have not even apologised for what they put them through.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-Gaia-Pope-investigation.html#ixzz575n5iknQ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-slams-officers-Gaia-Pope-investigation.html

What a surprise that Mr Elsey has something to say!

I wonder how much help entomology is in very cold conditions? I know nothing of the science really.

The IOPC (formerly IPCC) are investigating the police investigation. For some reason I thought they already were, must have been mistaken.

Investigation begun into Dorset Police response to a missing person report concerning Gaia Pope-Sutherland

Published
06 Apr 2018

We have begun an investigation into the Dorset Police response to a missing person report made in respect of Gaia Pope-Sutherland.

Miss Pope-Sutherland, aged 19, was reported missing by a family member on 7 November 2017 in Swanage, Dorset.

Clothing belonging to the teenager was found by members of the public in a field near Swanage on 16 November 2017 and her body was discovered nearby two days later in undergrowth on a cliff top.

An inquest into her death has been opened. Our investigation began after a referral was received from Dorset Police on 23 February 2018, following an internal review by the force.

Catrin Evans, the IOPC Director with responsibility for Dorset Police, said: “My sympathies are with Gaia’s family and friends and everyone affected by her sad death.

“We are examining the actions and decisions of Dorset Police when dealing with the missing person report made in respect of a vulnerable young woman. We will also consider whether the force appropriately risk assessed, resourced and reviewed the missing person report.

“Our investigation will be thorough and we will keep Gaia’s family, the Coroner and the force informed of our progress.”

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/ne...se-missing-person-report-concerning-gaia-pope

Second investigation into Dorset Police linked to Gaia Pope-Sutherland

We have begun an investigation into the Dorset Police response to an allegation of rape made by Gaia Pope-Sutherland prior to her death.

Miss Pope-Sutherland, aged 19, was found dead on 18 November 2017 after being reported missing from Swanage by a family member 11 days earlier.

This new investigation follows a referral from Dorset Police after Miss Pope-Sutherland’s family made a complaint in May about the force’s handling of the rape allegation Miss Pope-Sutherland made in December 2015.

Catrin Evans, the IOPC Director with responsibility for Dorset Police, said: “After initial investigation, in June 2016 Dorset Police made the decision to take no further action in respect of a rape allegation made by Gaia.

“Following complaints made by her family, we will investigate whether the police response was in accordance with local and national policies and guidance in relation to the investigation of rape cases, including Crown Prosecution Service referral and charging criteria.

“My thoughts continue to be with Gaia’s family and everyone affected by her death.”

Our first investigation, which began in April, is focussed on Dorset Police’s handling of the missing person report made in respect of Miss Pope-Sutherland. This investigation is ongoing and we continue to keep Miss Pope-Sutherland’s family, the Coroner and Dorset Police informed of our progress.

Loading site please wait...

Man accused by Gaia Pope jailed again

The man Gaia accused of rape in 2015 was jailed for 21 months in Nov 2018 after he admitted causing or inciting a child aged 13 to 15 to engage in sexual activity and causing a child aged 13 to 15 to watch a sexual act.

A slither of justice amidst a storm of unnecessary tragedy.

The family of tragic teenager Gaia Pope today slammed repeated delays into the investigation of the police's handling of her death.

The tormented teenager disappeared in November 2017 after police failed to prosecute a man she alleged had raped her.

Despite a huge search by police and volunteers, Gaia was found dead in bushes by a cliff-top near Swanage, Dorset, 11 days later.

Her body was located in an area that had already been searched by officers days before.

Gaia's family have called for answers about Dorset Police's handling of both her disappearance and the previous rape allegation she had made.

Family of tragic teenager, 19, slam delayed investigation into police's handling of her death | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back