UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by sleuth777, Jul 3, 2018.

1. sleuth777

sleuth777 Member

2. skibaboo

skibaboo Mrs Map

I was just coming to share this.. Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies

Another Beverly Allitt?

3. silverjug

silverjug Well-Known Member

4. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Murder arrest over hospital baby deaths
    Officers have been investigating the deaths of 17 newborns at the neonatal unit between March 2015 and July 2016.

A spokesman said the probe also covered 15 "non-fatal collapses".
    hey found the Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust had a neonatal death rate of 1.91 for every 1,000 live births that year.

This was the highest out of the 43 trusts of a similar size it was compared with, which had an average of 1.27 neonatal deaths for every 1,000 live births.

There were also 5.42 extended perinatal deaths - deaths within four weeks - for every 1,000 births, including stillbirths. The average for similar sized maternity units was 4.73 deaths per 1,000 births."

Bradley Q., LadyL, LaborDayRN and 8 others like this.
  5. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

WHY?!?!! I don't understand! Babies, teeny, tiny wittle babies!!!! There's no reasoning that would be justified!

abr, Hoopy88, altojack and 13 others like this.
  6. creepcrusher

creepcrusher ✭Lifetime WILD BOAR Fan✭ Oink Oink ⚽️

17 lives brought into this world only to be taken right back out. Sickening. Imagine all the parents after getting wind of this arrest.
    Evil evil woman.

abr, Babbakins, GarAndTeed and 5 others like this.
  7. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Can someone add this to the UK thread please.

Alyce and dotr like this.
  8. emmalpage81

emmalpage81 Well-Known Member

If she has killed 8 babies, she is much worse than Allitt. Evil to the core.

All IMO

9. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

Why would someone do this? What gain for her?

10. CoverMeCagney

Beverley Allitt is serving her term of 13 life sentences in Rampton (secure psychiatric hospital) after she was “diagnosed” with Munchausens by Proxy.

This woman has killed twice as many children. It has to be a severe mental health issue. Which came first, wanting to be a nurse or wanting to kill?

Bradley Q., Hoopy88, Alyce and 13 others like this.
  11. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

A woman held on suspicion of the murder of eight babies and the attempted murder of another six at a hospital is 28-year-old nurse Lucy Letby.

[​IMG]

Baby deaths arrest woman is nurse

Alyce, LadyL, LaborDayRN and 5 others like this.
  12. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2018/07/04/frien...dhearted-nurse-charged-with-murdering-babies/

Letby was also active in a $4 million fundraising campaign to build a new neonatal unit at the hospital

“I hope the new unit will provide a greater degree of privacy and space,” she told The Chester & District Standard in supporting the campaign.
    BBM ... yes no doubt privacy would come in handy if you wanted free reign to murder some innocent babies eh

Seriously this case is a headscratcher, I wasn't imagining it to be a young woman newly into the profession tbh. Somebody much older, more bitter and experienced was what I had my money on. I guess we'll wait and see how this plays out. If they have the right person, for one. And if it's mental illness, or just plain evil.

Doghairrules, abr, Alyce and 18 others like this.
  13. CoverMeCagney

14. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

I don't know if I've got this right or not but the number of deaths being investigated seems to be higher than the deaths recorded for the unit.

Alyce, Stella8, LaborDayRN and 4 others like this.
  15. CoverMeCagney

Her friends and family must be in absolute shock, an attractive young lady with a respected career helping others. Imagine how utterly sickened they must be right now.

Much as I hate that our vital services have become crazily overwhelmed with red tape, statistics and data collection, it's a small mercy that the stark facts above have caught this woman out.

abr, Alyce, Stella8 and 8 others like this.
  16. emmalpage81

emmalpage81 Well-Known Member

17. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

I was actually going to suggest she may have been connected to another hospital given the anomaly in the statistics quoted above, but then I thought that would have been reported originally so I sat on my hands. This doesn't bear thinking about.

18. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Apparently the accused nurse is an only child, did she enjoy being the only one?
    Wondering if the parents experienced the tragedy of losing any potential siblings the accused may have had.........?
    complete speculation, imo.

abr, Andieinsyd, Alyce and 7 others like this.
  19. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

To be fair, noting this infamous Toronto case.
    The baby killer at Toronto's Sick Kids was rubber - Macleans.ca
    The baby killer at Toronto’s Sick Kids was rubber
    The real culprit for a wave of deaths in the early 1980s was a compound found in seals on IVs and syringes
    by Brian Bethune
    Dec 22, 2011
    "Between June 1980 and March 1981, baby deaths spiked 625 per cent at Sick Kids’ cardiac unit—43 cases in all. Autopsies belatedly performed as death inexorably followed upon death seemed to show poisonous levels of digoxin. Investigators focused on Nelles, because she was (apparently) on duty for 24 of the deaths, and because she had the temerity to ask for a lawyer. Later, the Grange inquiry managed to cast a lifelong cloud of suspicion over another nurse, Phyllis Trayner (now dead), while ruling eight of the deaths as murders.

So what really happened to those children? A cluster of factors, according to Hamilton. They were very sick, and it took only the tiniest of nudges—natural or deliberate—to push them across death’s threshold. And that push was coming with increasing force. MBT, a chemical compound in the rubber seals used in IV lines and disposable plastic syringes, was leeching into the contents of those devices, bringing chances of life-threatening anaphylactic shock—which is how Hamilton, a radiologist from London, Ont., encountered it—and of death by accumulated toxins. The problem grew, unseen, as the era of unit-dose syringes dawned around 1980. Designed to eliminate overdose errors, prepackaged unit doses had three-year shelf lives—all the longer for the MBT to leech into the contents.

The smallest, most fragile patients, the cardiac babies, were most at risk: more injections, more transfusions, more poison, more chances of crossing the threshold. And if circumstances were cruelly conspiring against the children, so too were they taking aim at the accused nurses. The tests used to measure the digoxin levels in the autopsied babies were less than useless. They consistently misread MBT as digoxin, and failed to take into account that digoxin in the hearts of cardiac patients spreads through the body postmortem, giving a false reading of how much was present during life."

20. CoverMeCagney

Interesting reading, dotr.

Have we any more idea why LL was moved to admin duties?