UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by sleuth777, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Bakers

Bakers Member

Oh right sorry thought you meant on this case.I know one hospital blamed parents for babies deaths management should be looked at in this hospitals running wards understaffed and under graded nursing care

Marg from Oz, MajorHoople and Kemug like this.

2. Parker Knoll

Parker Knoll Well-Known Member

LL for plea at Manchester Crown Court Monday 4th 2pm

3. Mrs Marple

Mrs Marple Well-Known Member

I can't figure this case out at all. Assuming we are expecting her to plead NG?

4. Parker Knoll

Me neither. It’s beyond odd. I can’t see her pleading on Monday but who knows. Everything is off on this case.

Al Ka, Mrs Marple, elliefant and 4 others like this.
  5. Kemug

Kemug Well-Known Member

What if she does plead guilty? Can we believe her?

6. Sarahlou

Sarahlou Well-Known Member

I highly doubt she'll plead guilty. But if she did then I'd assume the evidence against her was overwhelming.

Kaykedi, Kemug, LaborDayRN and 3 others like this.
  7. Catdetective

Catdetective Well-Known Member

If it turns out she is innocent, she must feel like she's in a living nightmare.

Al Ka, squish, dawnlouise81 and 3 others like this.
  8. Parker Knoll

It’s all bizarre IMHO

Kemug and LaborDayRN like this.
  9. JosieJo

JosieJo Well-Known Member

There's a lot of "nervousness" around this case ..personally I don't understand that nervousness as at the minute we have no idea how much evidence they have.
    Imo we do not have any more reasons to be nervous than with other charges in other cases at this stage.
    I do think she will plead tomorrow as the judge was clear at the last hearing that its been a long time because of the amount of information required to be disclosed and didn't want further delays. JMO

Kemug, whatawaster, Sarahlou and 2 others like this.
  10. Parker Knoll

She will enter a plea tomorrow as you quite rightly pointed out the trial judge does not want further delays. There has been issues over where the trial will take place that may have put delays in place but still. Listing cases in court as a barristers clerk was my job for many many years. This is beyond weird all round.

Alyce, momsof3, Kemug and 1 other person like this.
  11. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Well-Known Member

I don't know what to think about this one. Not a whiff of an idea. There are a lot of charges. There must be a lot of evidence.

Yet no one had any thought of something being off with her?

Looking forward to what we find out tomorrow.

squish, Alyce, momsof3 and 4 others like this.
  12. Sarahlou

We don't know what most people thought of her. Even if you found someone a bit odd/off I don't think you'd suspect them of doing something as extreme as this.
    It will definitely be interesting to hear more details.

squish, Kemug, JosieJo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Whitehall 1212

Whitehall 1212 Verified Law Enforcement and SAR (UK)

I suspect that all you will find out tomorrow is how LL intends to plea, assuming she is arraigned.

However, a trial date has previously been set to commence on 4th July 2022 at Manchester Crown Court and the case is expected to last six months.

None of the the evidence will be disclosed tomorrow.

As this is a complex case the Judge has significant responsibilities to ensure that both the CPS and the defence team are managing the disclosure of material and other requirements to ensure that the case can commence as required. This is the case management element of the hearing.

All this is not withstanding that LL could plead 'guilty' to all the charges or the Crown could offer no evidence to all the charges.....I know where my money is though!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Al Ka, MsBetsy, CrimeAway and 6 others like this.
  14. Parker Knoll

Agreed Whitehall
    We won’t know anything until next July. As it should be

Kemug likes this.
  15. arrogantcat

arrogantcat Well-Known Member

This is such an emotive subject (and rightly so) but I always feel there’s some context left out of reports like this.
    Of those 1000 extra babies, how many would grow up to adulthood? How many would be able bodied? How many would be neurotypical and able to live independently and work and have a relationship, if they chose?

Miracle premature babies do exist, but statistically they are far, far more likely to live a more difficult and painful life than their full-term peers, with both physical and learning disabilities - often severe in nature.

I am not for one second suggesting these children do not deserve to live, or should ever be denied care. Indeed, some of the greatest humans I’ve ever known fall into this category, thanks to my work.

But when reports speak of “babies”, it’s not quite as simple as the mental picture would create. “Baby” brings to mind a happy, chubby-faced bundle of joy and potential. These are very, very poorly, pre-term infants, whose bodies are not yet prepared to survive in the world.

From what we’ve heard so far of the babies suspected to have been tragically murdered in this case, the same is also true. I’m in no way excusing or apologising for anything but the optimum care for every precious life. But there is a reason we do not intervene to sustain premature births in any species except humans. The truth is, as healthcare professionals we’re still woefully under-qualified to match what a pregnant woman’s body does best.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if this may be a factor in institutional/ cultural differences between the preservation of life in U.K. hospitals and others studied. I know the gestation date cut off varies in different countries, where a child born before that date is simply allowed to die naturally.
    It will be interesting to see if this whole issue plays a part in the case or proposed motive of LL, and how it might bring the national conversation on the topic into the light.

momsof3, Kemug, Kasmeer and 3 others like this.
  16. Kemug

Kemug Well-Known Member

At least we will know how she pleaded, which is not nothing.

Andieinsyd, arrogantcat and elliefant like this.
  17. JosieJo

18. Ched

Ched Well-Known Member

19. Sarahlou

20. JosieJo

I know there must be a lot of preparation but it's such a terrible long time