UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

annpats

Reaction score

HollyHunter9

Reaction score
And, coincidentally, a huge report is released into shocking levels of care at an NHS trust resulting in over 200 unnecessary deaths of babies.

Shrewsbury maternity scandal: Baby records on post-it notes went in bin - BBC News
I came straight on here after seeing this! Over 200 babies deaths could have been avoided! That is utterly shocking! Just another example further cementing for me there is something very very wrong at the core of the NHS and I don't think it can ever be fixed. Whether LL is guilty or innocent the NHS needs to take on a portion of the blame because if she's guilty how did it go on for so long without it being noticed? If she's innocent then what else lead to the deaths of these babies? Short staff? Bad management?

Another horrifying example of the NHS...

David Fuller: Killer who abused mortuary bodies will die in jail

Marantz4250b

Reaction score
This is an extract from an interview with Dr David Wilson - everyone from the UK reading this thread will know who he is as he's on pretty much every murder documentary going.

He was asked directly about this case. Question and answer reproduced in full here;

Q. You also published a paper with Professor Yardley in 2014 on the contemporary nurse healthcare serial killer. This made me think about the recent neonatal nurse Lucy Letby case. She is yet to go to trial and the offenses are obviously alleged at this time but, it’s a case that reminds many of the Beverley Allitt case from 1991. I’m curious about your thoughts on both cases in terms of diagnoses like Munchausen’s by Proxy and the common factors in Angels of Death cases?

DW – As you say, the Letby case has not come to trial and so we should not discuss that. In fact we were able to show that in some so-called “Angels of Death” cases the evidence to convict them was very poor – to the extent that we thought that one man – Colin Norris – was completely innocent.

I doubt he has anything personally to do with the case and most probably has no more info than us. It seems curious, however, that although he says, correctly, that he shouldn't discuss it directly, he then immediately talks about similar cases where the evidence used to convict was, in his opinion, very poor. One might think that that is a way of commenting on LL's case whilst simultaneously not commenting on it. An interesting way of responding when lots of other responses were available to him, I thought.

If It Bleeds It Leads: A Q&A With Professor David Wilson

Spoony

Reaction score
1 hour ago
A nurse accused of murdering eight babies has made another appearance in court ahead of her trial.

Lucy Letby denies murdering five boys and three girls on a neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

The 31-year-old also denies attempting to murder five boys and five girls.

Lucy Letby: Nurse accused of baby murders appears in court

Last edited by a moderator:

Marantz4250b

Reaction score
The lack of information and the repetitiveness of the reporting on this case is maddeningly frustrating!

It amazes me how papers like the Mail manage to produce so many words to report that someone confirmed their name and that the court discussed some legal issues that they can't tell us about!

JosieJo

Reaction score
From above link

"Nick Johnson, QC, said the prosecution was offering no evidence on one of the counts of murder during a hearing at Manchester Crown Court."

Sounds as if new evidence has come to light on this one baby. Awful for the parents to have to be put through that

Bakers

Reaction score
From above link

"Nick Johnson, QC, said the prosecution was offering no evidence on one of the counts of murder during a hearing at Manchester Crown Court."

Sounds as if new evidence has come to light on this one baby. Awful for the parents to have to be put through that

Status
Not open for further replies.