Identified! UK - Hereford, LIVING WhtMale, ~75, US/Canadian accent, Nov'15 - Roger Curry

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Fluttershy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Al Ka

Al Ka Well-Known Member

Lengthy but very well written article. Glad to see an update on this case. Interview with Hayes (arrested UK man) who helped friend to dump his father. Friend, the son of the Roger, was never arrested nor faced any charges in US
    ===
    ‘It was morally wrong’: the plot to abandon a man 5,000 miles from home

[​IMG]

His companion, sitting opposite, told the crew the same story: he had found the man on the side of a road some distance from Credenhill, a village on the outskirts of Hereford. But he claimed he couldn’t share his own contact details because he had been working at the nearby SAS base, and soon vanished into the early evening gloom.
    ---
    Little was as it seemed that Saturday. It was just the beginning of an extraordinary international mystery that for six months flummoxed the British authorities and generated headlines around the world. The truth only partially emerged earlier this year, when Simon Hayes, a 53-year-old personal trainer, was given a two-and-a-half-year sentence for his role in a plot to abandon Roger Curry, an autistic American man with dementia, far from his home in Whittier, California. Hayes had driven Roger to Hereford the day after he had arrived, with the rest of the Curry family, on a flight from the US. The 78-year-old had been stripped of anything that could identity him, and dressed in brand new British supermarket clothes.
    ---
    Hayes says he got to know the Curry family after moving to the US to launch an offshoot of his motorsport coaching business in 2003. He was keen to make a fresh start following the loss of his adoptive mother, Anita, who died from cancer in 2001.
    ---
    Hayes settled in Los Angeles and his business started to grow, with amateur and professional drivers based in the US seeking his help. He was introduced to Kevin Curry by a mutual acquaintance; the two men shared a fascination with Area 51, the US air force base in Nevada that has long been a focus of conspiracy theories about alien spacecraft and extraterrestrials. “I have an interest in the unexplained,” Hayes tells me. “It doesn’t mean I believe that aliens exist.” He claims Kevin’s interest in Area 51 stemmed from his father’s connection to the base. “Roger served at Area 51 as an air force technician.
    ---
    Despite the age difference – Hayes was 44, Kevin 29 – the pair grew close. Hayes spent Christmas 2010 with Kevin, Roger, then 70, and his wife, Mary Jo, then 59, at their house in a middle-class suburb of LA. However, Hayes soon found that all was not well with the Curry family. Mary Jo had Parkinson’s disease and was finding it increasingly hard to look after her husband who, according to Hayes, was already suffering from dementia. Kevin told him the family couldn’t afford to put his father in a care home.
    ---
    Back in the UK, Hayes moved to Somerset to live with his father, Ken, in a mobile home park; Ken was 90 and in poor health. America, though, was still on Hayes’s mind; he unsuccessfully applied for visas and stayed in regular contact with Kevin. “He was a friend who was going through a very stressful period,” Hayes explains. “I tried my best to be supportive.” He says Kevin asked him to look into ways of bringing Roger to the UK, and admits that he researched possible British care homes, but insists he had no idea that Kevin was planning to dump his father here. “Roger was getting worse. He was contemplating healthcare facilities in Mexico, Canada and the UK,” he says.
    ---
    In 2015, Kevin announced he would be coming to Europe on holiday with his children, while Roger and Mary Jo stayed in a respite home. He said he would be stopping off in the UK and invited his old friend to join him. “I never take any time off, so I was excited to have a break,” Hayes says. But when he went to meet Kevin at Gatwick airport, he claims he was shocked to see Roger and Mary Jo coming through the arrivals gate, too. “Roger was in a wheelchair. He couldn’t walk. Mary Jo looked exhausted. She could barely stand up. They had deteriorated since I had last seen them,” he says. “Kevin told me that the hospital would not take them.”
    ---
    That night they booked into the nearby Gatwick Marriott hotel. Hayes says Kevin asked him to take Roger to hospital, so they coud have their family holiday. Hayes says he felt sorry for Kevin and agreed. “I said, ‘Give yourselves a week and then pick your dad up, or make an arrangement with the authorities so that your dad can stay here and be financially supported by his insurance company,’” he says. “But I did not for one minute suggest or insinuate, in any way, shape or form, that he should be abandoned in this country.”

Kevin booked a hire car, naming Hayes as an additional driver. In the morning, Hayes drove 157 miles to Hereford bus station, with Roger dressed in new clothes and stripped of his ID. This part of Hayes’s account is particularly puzzling: if Roger was sick, why not choose a closer hospital? There were two – East Surrey and Crawley – within about six miles. Bizarrely, Hayes claims he chose Hereford hospital because he had visited it once before with a client and thought it “was more straightforward than driving all over London”.
    ---
    That afternoon, he parked in Hereford bus station and led Roger towards the hospital. Why did he tell the passerby and paramedics that he had found him face down in the countryside? “I wanted to give the family some time… at least a week,” he says sheepishly. How did it feel to leave a confused and distressed old man, without any medication or paperwork? Hayes hesitates, searching for the right words. “It was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do,” he says. “But I did it because I’d seen the lack of care he got from his own country and government – a former veteran, I might add, which is disgraceful.”

Hayes returned to Gatwick and joined the rest of the Curry family on holiday in Copenhagen. They stayed in a city-centre hotel, but Mary Jo was in such poor health she rarely left it. Instead, Hayes says, he went for long walks with Kevin and they talked about Roger’s future. “It was an odd holiday,”

(much more at link)
    ‘It was morally wrong’: the plot to abandon a man 5,000 miles from home

CoverMeCagney, Ellmau, dotr and 2 others like this.

2. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Disgraceful that Roger's family haven't visited him since he went back to the US in 2016. What vile people. Why couldn't they be prosecuted?

Al Ka and Legally Bland like this.
  3. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

. Quite possible it’s not an extraterritorial offense which US authorities can lay charges over. Only very specific crimes committed overseas can be prosecuted in another country and they are normally the *majors* like child-related sex offences, drug trafficking, money laundering etc.

Al Ka and CoverMeCagney like this.
  4. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Thank you, Melt, shame there can't be charges just for immoral behaviour! An apt punishment in this case would be a few hundred hours unpaid community work in a dementia home.

Melt71 likes this.