UK & Ireland: When Storms Hit the Islands

Discussion in 'Weather' started by wfgodot, Nov 3, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Mail has the story plus pics and a video of attempts to save the woman who died at Tilly Whim sea caves, Purbeck, Dorset.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2486044/UK-weather-Woman-drowns-swept-tiny-cave.html

• Victim, 30, was 'coasteering' with her brother - who was unhurt - at Tilly Whim caves, near Swanage, Dorset
    • Desperate rescuers spent two hours talking to woman through a blowhole - but could not reach her in time
    • Two lifeboat crews battled against force nine 50mph winds to try to get to the mouth of the cave yesterday
    • Coasteering is a sport involving free climbing up and along a rock face and jumping into the water to swim

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Wind and coastal flood warning for Scotland and England
    more at BBC link above

5. Show Me

Show Me New Member

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

UK and Ireland, Stormy Through Christmas. (accuweather.com)
    more at the link

7. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Forgive me all for this hopefully edifying and entertaining tangent. This is from James Joyce's Dubliners (from 'The Dead'), pertaining to weather in Ireland (gosh, I know that is unforgivably tangential, but it is a sort of weather report that I hope you will not hate me for posting):

"A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2814/2814-h/2814-h.htm

8. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

Crazy weather here in West Dorset, wild,wild winds, torrential rain. I was nearly airbourne at one point today. Now cosy in bed while the storm rages. Heaven knows how I will get to work at 0700 hrs, I have to travel cross country including driving through a ford.
    More details here

9. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer New Member

Luckily I managed to do my travelling to see family on the dry days but the weather has been pretty rough since Christmas. Today has been nice but now the storm warnings are out again.

10. skibaboo

skibaboo Well-Known Member

It's been pretty wild the last couple of weeks although I think in the NE we have missed the worst. It's quite scary when it's really windy where we live, as we are quite high up (top floor flat) So I got myself worked up a bit too much over it before Christmas, and it didn't really materialise, not for us anyway. It's been horrible for a lot of places down south though, and parts of Ireland and Wales. These atlantic storms need to go away, I want some snow, and I haven't seen one single flake this winter.

11. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer New Member

Today has been crazy, a spring tide and a storm surge pushing so much water inland.

And of course stupid people are out in force - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NGULFED-huge-wave-walk-Cornish-sea-front.html (the family will feature in many of tomorrow's papers)

There have been so many warnings to people to STAY AWAY; they don't just endanger themselves, they endanger our rescue services who will have to try and find them.

A reporter in one location - [video=youtube;5eEh02g45-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eEh02g45-k[/video]

12. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer New Member

13. badhorsie

[​IMG]
    These horses are trying to swim for safety near Hurn airport, near Bournemouth/
    Dorset has been hit hard by these storms. Part of our Jurassic coastline has been changed forever. There are floods everywhere and no room for any more rain and still it pours, I can hear it now.

Lots of local stories here

[​IMG]

I live in the middle of all the red bits on the current Met Office flood warning map above

14. badhorsie

Almost hurricane force winds here today, Any more rain and we will be in trouble. Both rivers in the village have burst their banks.
    Dog walking will be interesting today

15. badhorsie

Windy as buggery tonight, Raining cats and dogs too

16. angela

angela New Member

Stay safe badhorsie!

17. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

18. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

I have been known to moan a bit about German weather but I've just seen a news pic of my old house in England. Underwater. I'm going to start counting my blessings from now on.

19. badhorsie

Raging winds, hail and rain here. Will take some pics when out with my doggy. About to light the fire...........

20. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Look at this youtube uploaded from Newlyn. The sea has moved up an entire street. I'd be out of there!

http://youtu.be/GVi4VZ0H2Qc

ETA: They haven't even got shutters on the lower windows. If the sea knocks them in, it will sweep in and sweep back out, taking furniture and and any occupants with it. SO dangerous and it looks like people haven't evacuated.

Attached Files:

21. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

There are rains, gales and floods today in many parts of the UK. Roads and railways and bridges are closed, some areas have been evacuated and the media's reporting sandbags are in such short supply thieves have been pinching them and selling them on the black market.

People in the West Country aren't impressed:
    https://www.facebook.com/ITVWestcountry

And a bog has caught fire in Wales
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-live-updates-every-3143744

I hope all UK-based WSers are safe and well, and preferably dry too.