UK UK - Jack the Ripper, 5 women killed, London, 1888

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by PrayersForMaura, Nov 3, 2005.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Probably all the Ripper books are "just that," barring the compendiums which collect suspects but do not identify a candidate.

Again, I do not think it would take much to subdue these women, many of whom were drunk. Stephenson was only 47 during the Ripper panic.

Stephenson, among many other things, tried to inject himself into the investigation and thus to get closer to it, as have guilty parties in other cases. He was deeply misogynistic, with a hatred of prostitutes. He was in London's East End at the time.

At the very least, he is a serious candidate---much more so than Druitt, Sickert, "the Royal family," et al.

2. p7byrd

p7byrd Former Member

It's too bad that his "Jack the Ripper" diaries were nothing more than an elaborate hoax.

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

You're sure of that then. How can you make that statement? (I pick Stephenson not because of his medical background, by the way.)

4. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, I suffer from "Teacher! Teacher! I know the Answer!" syndrome...

5. Soulmagent

Soulmagent Well-Known Member

I watched the history channel show on Jack the ripper. They had a new york city cold case detective review the files and some of the suspects and he came to the conclusion that the Ripper was John kelly.
    It was very interesting to watch also bought up leads in possible victims all across America.
    Did anyone else watch it?

http://http://www.casebook.org/witnesses/w/John_Kelly.html

6. anne11

anne11 Member

I think Sickart was ruled out, he was in france when some of the murders occured. They found some dna from the murderer on an item of clothing of one of the victims but it was too de-graded to get a profile.

7. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/09/29/jack-ripper-cold-case-solved?hpt=hln10_4&hpt=hp_t3

Forensic expert: Jack the Ripper never existed
    'Jack the Ripper' is one of the most infamous serial killers of all time. Now that more information about the 125-year-old cold case has been brought to light, could it solve the mystery for good, or is it just another theory?
    By Colette Bennett
    updated 6:36 PM EDT, Sat October 05, 2013

...An ex-homicide detective believes he has answers to one of the most baffling mysteries of all time -- the identity of Jack the Ripper. He claims the infamous serial killer never existed at all....

8. kline

kline Well-Known Member

This theory is nothing new and I see he's trying to hawk a book.
    I think the cannonical five murders were commited by the same individual but I doubt he was any of the famous suspects that have fallen in and out of vogue.
    Unfortunately this case is so old and so little remains in the way of evidence or even reliable information and has been so distorted and clouded by popular culture you can float ANY theory or suspect and and it really cant be 'ruled out' per se.
    And as long as the name Jack The Ripper still draws attention Theories and suspects will continue to pop up.
    The Truth though my be lost to History forever.

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

10. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

I believe this is the second DNA "solution" to the case except they point to different guys.

If I recall, Kosminski was so dysfunctional that he couldn't even take care of himself, let alone, get women to go off alone with him then commit murders that baffled the best detectives in the world.

11. Supernovae

Supernovae Active Member

12. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

13. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

There is no record (from a very detailed list) of a shawl found with Eddowes so what does that tell you?

14. slug

slug New Member

I would be very surprised to find enough usable DNA still on the shawl over 100 years later.
    And if there was it would most likely be contaminated.

15. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

16. hot cawfee

hot cawfee New Member

I remember Patricia Cornwell's book on the case---she concluded that an artist -Sickert/Seikert iirc killed all the women.
    This is interesting tho......case closed I guess

17. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member