Found Alive UK - John Darwin, 51, Seaton Carew, 21 March 2002 *found alive in 2007*

Masterj

Reaction score
If the sons did not know about this, that is such cruel thing to do to people you love. I can't get over the selfishness!

CyberLaw

Former Member
Reaction score
Well, people have done "more serious crimes" in the name of greed.

I don't blame the boys for not wanting to have anything to do with the parents. They did this to their own children, all the while knowing the Dad was alive and well.

Nocgirl

Reaction score
So does his wife have to pay back the life insurance money she got? I also smell a huge scam here. No wonder their kids are upset.

CyberLaw

Former Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes, you get paid insurance money when a person dies.

Not when they "fake" their own death to get the insurance money.

That would be called Fraud. Of course she will have to pay back the life insurance money, both she and her husband claimed it under false circumstances.

I don't how any mother can sit back and watch her two sons, grieve the death of their father at sea, with no body and no services and no grave.

Watching them in pain, mourning the death of their Dad, all the while "knowing" full well that we was alive and well and that this "whole plan" was hatched by both Mom and Dad.

JanetElaine

Reaction score
What I understood was that his wife at first thought too he was dead, then later she found out he wasn't. That's still bad, but not as bad as knowing it from the start, IMO.

Last night, admitting that she had known her husband was alive, Anne Darwin said that they had rented a villa for a brief vacation from the estate agent in the picture.
She claimed she had initially believed her husband died in a 2002 canoeing accident. She would not specify how she found out that he had not died, except to say that “it was years later."
“Do I still love John? Yes, I do and it’s probably that that’s got me in this situation. When you love someone, all you want to do is protect them.”
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315449,00.html

MagicRose99

Watch out for my thorns!
Reaction score
She's lied... lied to her sons, the authorities, the insurance co, friends, family... why would or should we believe that she "initially believed her husband died...." and "it was years later"?

She's a liar and a thief...

CyberLaw

Former Member
Reaction score
For starters, he showed up with a tan. But had no idea where he had been for the last seven years.

Sure, I believe that as much as anyone would believe that I just had a conversation with a "huge bunny rabbit, saying that he was late, very, very late.

Acquaintances of the wife, contacted detectives in the last few months after claiming to have overheard her speaking to her "dead" husband.

She "suddenly" transfered funds to Panama as well as suspicious activity involving her credit cards.

Police believe that the husband turned himself in to police after being tipped off by his wife, who became suspicious that her bank accounts were being monitored or by someone within the investigation.

The picture of husband and wife was taken in July 2006. They both used a fake name.

The picture was taken for publicity purposed by the owner of the apartment and posted on the Web. Do the couple somehow think that a picture on the web would not be seen by anyone. Talk about "some" troubles with reality.

The wife "insisted that she had not seen her husband since he went missing.

Even the 80 year old aunt, believes that the Dad never even got his feet wet.

Oh by the way, the day that he went missing, the North Sea was calm, so I wonder how his canoe "got smashed up and washed ashore".

I don't believe anything that comes out of the wife or husband and the British police are planning a "forced" trip from Panama to England for the wife.

This man is a fake, his wife assisted him in his fraud, they both participated in the fraud. She may not have been aware at first that he was alive and "collected" the insurance money in "good faith", but knowing he was alive, while keeping the money, is still fraud.

This man knows where he has been in the last five years, no doubt in my mind at all. Once a fake, usually always a fake especially when it comes to the same subject matter.

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
I tend to think the wife knew all along that the husband was alive. They were probably planning on him being permanently "dead"; however, they weren't very smart because people were onto them pretty quickly! Getting their picture taken for the hotel's website? :doh: And also people overheard her on the phone talking to him. So then they came up with the amnesia story.

JanetElaine

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316162,00.html

HARTLEPOOL, England — The wife of back-from-the-dead canoeist John Darwin says her husband was living in their family home for three years after he was declared dead.
Anne Darwin said that when their sons or relatives visited, her husband hid in a bedset in a house they owned next door.

Okay, lock her up then. Apperently she did know from the start. That's ridiculous, and if I was one of their sons I am not sure how I would feel other than very angry and betrayed. What a couple of losers (the parents).

It's not a 'bedset' by the way, but a bedsit, a combined bed- and sitting room. Bedsits have shared bathrooms and kitchens with other bedsits, although in this case it was probably just his hiding room. 'Bedset' makes it sound like he hid under a bed or something. :rolleyes:

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Former prison officer Darwin vanished in March 2002 from his home in Hartlepool, but according to his wife, he turned up at their house a year later.
"I didn't even recognize him at first," she told the Mirror. "He was an absolute mess, all disheveled. I was relieved he was alive, of course, but I was also very angry with him."
(snip)
She said the couple decided to move to Panama but Darwin, who was missing their sons Anthony and Mark, invented a plan to "return from the dead."
"I didn't think he would get away with it, but he had enough of being dead. John desperately wanted contact with the boys."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071208/od_nm/canoeist_dc;_ylt=AsYI7SLuQW7x3oj6w1hsSx7tiBIF

Elphaba

Defying Gravity...
Reaction score
For starters, he showed up with a tan. But had no idea where he had been for the last seven years.

Sure, I believe that as much as anyone would believe that I just had a conversation with a "huge bunny rabbit, saying that he was late, very, very late.

Now, if you had said it was a pooka named Harvey, I would have believed you. ;)

As for this man's wife: she's in the middle of it as thick as he is... take her in, too.

JanetElaine

Reaction score
She got arrested: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316242,00.html

Authorities arrested Anne Darwin on Sunday morning [on suspicion of fraud] after she arrived at Manchester's airport, a Manchester police spokesman said, speaking anonymously in line with force policy.
John Darwin, who walked into a London police station five years after his apparent death at sea, was charged on Saturday with life insurance fraud and lying to get a false passport.

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Canoe man's wife 'played role of grieving widow in £250,000 fraud with aplomb, sobbing to her own sons that he was dead'

The wife of back-from-the-dead canoeist John Darwin persuaded her own children he had died so that they could clear their debts and start a new life abroad, a court heard.
Anne Darwin, 56, sobbed to her sons that she had lost him and then kept up the elaborate pretence for another five years using 'guts, guile and persistence' before her husband blew his own cover, it was claimed.
The original idea to fake his death and pull off a £250,000 fraud to create an 'idyllic' new life in Panama might have been Mr Darwin's own, prosecutors told Teesside Crown Court.
But they alleged his wife not only knew he was alive, but played an 'equal' role in the plot with 'superb aplomb' and did much of the work for the plan aimed at saving them from bankruptcy totally alone.
So convincing was she as a grieving widow that her two sons were totally oblivious to the fraud and seasoned police officers were completely taken in, the jury was told.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-250-000-fraud-aplomb-sobbing-sons-dead.html

Vile parents, to do what they did to their children! :furious::furious::furious:

"According to Mark, his world had fallen apart. He felt he had not just lost a father but also his best friend. Anthony's reaction was the same. "

Mira

Country Girl
Reaction score
this case bothers me, still. not the crime, but what happened to the children. money was more important than they were. so sad.

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
This is what about the children. :(

'Dead' canoeist's sons refuse to acknowledge their mother as they tell court their parents had 'crushed' their world

The sons of a canoeist who faked his own death refused to acknowledge their mother in court today as they told how their parents had 'crushed' their world.
They stood barely a few feet away but as they told the court how she had deceived them, neither one of them could bear to return her glances.
The last time Anne Darwin saw her sons they had kissed her goodbye and wished her luck as she jetted off to Panama to start a new life.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-mother-tell-court-parents-crushed-world.html

Was it worth it, parents? :furious: