GUILTY UK - Julia James, 53, murdered, Snowdown, Kent, 27 April 2021 *ARREST* #2

So the defence is apparently offering no psychiatric evaluation in mitigation and the facts don't seem to be in dispute. Based on what we've been reading in the last 24 hours, it seems to me that what we have here is a young man who is physically fit and strong but based on his behaviour to police and in front of press photographers apparently has a low IQ. Now we learn that he's an avid consumer of internet *advertiser censored* and my guess is he's acting out in real life what he's seen online without any real understanding of its unacceptability. I'm not just talking about Julia's murder but also his comments about raping lone women in the woods because they deserve it, and his behaviour in prison, masturbating obsessively and telling female prison officers to 'spank' him, etc. That last in particular sounds copied to me.

It's pretty clear imo that he's a continuing danger to the public and needs to be locked up, but it feels like there are also some wider social lessons that need to be learned about how we divert vulnerable individuals from this kind of outcome, and I really hope they'll be examined instead of him just being blamed solely for his actions and everything else being brushed under the carpet. I want to say that in another era a community would have protected someone like CW, found him work he could manage, provided him with role models etc, but I think it's probably a rose-tinted concept and people of low IQ were just as likely to be exploited as helped. In the 21st century I feel we should be able to do better though, with such people not just being left to their families to sort out but instead helped with training, work, life skills and guidance. God knows what we do about the sewer that is the online *advertiser censored* industry - that's a whole other problem.

JMO

For reference: Julia James' 'killer' bragged he would 'rape & kill’ more women if released

So the defence is apparently offering no psychiatric evaluation in mitigation and the facts don't seem to be in dispute. Based on what we've been reading in the last 24 hours, it seems to me that what we have here is a young man who is physically fit and strong but based on his behaviour to police and in front of press photographers apparently has a low IQ. Now we learn that he's an avid consumer of internet (*advertiser censored*: lets say explicit adult material) and my guess is he's acting out in real life what he's seen online without any real understanding of its unacceptability. I'm not just talking about Julia's murder but also his comments about raping lone women in the woods because they deserve it, and his behaviour in prison, masturbating obsessively and telling female prison officers to 'spank' him, etc. That last in particular sounds copied to me.

It's pretty clear imo that he's a continuing danger to the public and needs to be locked up, but it feels like there are also some wider social lessons that need to be learned about how we divert vulnerable individuals from this kind of outcome, and I really hope they'll be examined instead of him just being blamed solely for his actions and everything else being brushed under the carpet. I want to say that in another era a community would have protected someone like CW, found him work he could manage, provided him with role models etc, but I think it's probably a rose-tinted concept and people of low IQ were just as likely to be exploited as helped. In the 21st century I feel we should be able to do better though, with such people not just being left to their families to sort out but instead helped with training, work, life skills and guidance. God knows what we do about the sewer that is the online (*advertiser censored*: lets say explicit adult material) industry - that's a whole other problem.

JMO

For reference: Julia James' 'killer' bragged he would 'rape & kill’ more women if released

Sorry about the censorship. Hopefully you all know what perfectly acceptable and factual word I used.

Last edited:
I don't think only low IQ can explain this tragedy.

"Flashing" in public, uncontrollable rage, aggression, lack of remorse - all indicate serious mental problems, clearly neglected and untreated.

Even he confessed that he suffers from urges he "can't control".

MOO

It's pretty clear imo that he's a continuing danger to the public and needs to be locked up, but it feels like there are also some wider social lessons that need to be learned about how we divert vulnerable individuals from this kind of outcome, and I really hope they'll be examined instead of him just being blamed solely for his actions and everything else being brushed under the carpet. I want to say that in another era a community would have protected someone like CW, found him work he could manage, provided him with role models etc, but I think it's probably a rose-tinted concept and people of low IQ were just as likely to be exploited as helped. In the 21st century I feel we should be able to do better though, with such people not just being left to their families to sort out but instead helped with training, work, life skills and guidance. God knows what we do about the sewer that is the online (*advertiser censored*: lets say explicit adult material) industry - that's a whole other problem.

JMO

You reminded me of a brilliant young man who works at my local gym, i must have known him for the last, I dont know, 6 years or so. I feel bad catergorizing him as low IQ but i presume that is the correct terminology if you are using it. But he is the most friendly, hardworking, helpful, funny guy, everytime I see him we have a chat and I always walk away with a smile on my face! He is a total credit to the gym and his family! Hes a great example of 'getting it right'.

'Killer said Julia deserved to die'

Excuse me for sounding stupid, but what did the judge mean here

"Judge Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb told jurors: "You may now notice the defendant isn't in court today. I have been discussing the position with counsel and there is a genuine reason we shouldn't go any further with the trial today." "

Did she mean that he didn't attend as he may be unwell or something along those lines to come to court, or more because of yesterday's court sitting being emotive or something else I'm missing?

If he had just chosen not to attend today, they could have carried on with the trial, as it would have been his decision not to listen to the closing arguments ( that is if his Defence is even doing one ? it was not clear from the report ).
So my guess is that he is unwell and the Judge is giving him the week end to recover.
If the situation is the same on Monday, then a decision has to be made and I would expect them to carry on.

Callum Wheeler's defence counsel, Oliver Blunt QC, has been delivering his closing argument.s

He has asked the jury to remove all emotion and outrage from their decision-making.

He told the court:

This is the first and only opportunity I will have to attend you on the defendant Callum Wheeler. He has not given evidence and has called no evidence.

There is no obligation on him to do so, but his failure to do so means that certain consequences arise. My address to you is therefore, in the absence of any defence evidence.

I am conscious that the last chapter of evidence you received on Thursday paints a very negative picture of young Mr Wheeler.

His behaviour in the police station and his lack of self-control all speak, and his remarks to police when they came to arrest him does not wholly divorce from his other rather exhibitionist behaviour.

I am however going to invite you to suspend what would be a perfectly understandably hostile assessment of him when you turn to focus on the task in hand.

There is no dispute he was responsible for the death of Julia James. The pathologist’s evidence was uncomfortable in the extreme.

Ms Morgan rightly pointed out to you that the key question for you was whether when Callum Wheeler attacked Julia James, he intended to kill her or at least cause her serious harm.

Once you have come to terms with the trauma confronting this appalling loss of life your attention shifts to the defendant. You must put out of your mind all emotion and dare I say outrage.

Please concentrate on the task in hand. I cannot pretend to you that adopting such a mindset is an easy or comfortable mindset.

The burden remains on the prosecution to prove the case. He was 21 at the time and had no previous convictions or cautions against him.

15:32KEY EVENT

Jury considering verdict​

Folowing the closing arguments and Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb's own summing up of the evidence, the jury has been sent out to consider its verdict.

man has today been found guilty of murdering a police community support officer.

Callum Wheeler, 22, had previously admitted killing Julia James, 53, last April but denied murder.

Julia was beaten to death as she walked her Jack Russell dog Toby in the countryside near her home in Snowdown, Kent, Canterbury Crown Court heard.

The jury returned their guilty verdict in just over an hour. Wheeler did not react when the guilty verdict was delivered.

Wheeler had refused to walk into the dock this morning or after lunch but was carried in for the verdict.

When the judge asked him to stand to hear the verdict, Wheeler did not stand himself but was instead held up by members of staff in the dock.

"A 'highly-sexualised' loner who bludgeoned police community support officer Julia James to death while she walked her dog has been convicted of murder today.

A jury of eight women and four men took just 73 minutes to decide Callum Wheeler, also described as ‘angry, violent and strange’, had ambushed the 53-year-old mother-of-two in Ackholt Wood near her home in Snowdown, Kent, at around 2.30pm on April 27 last year.

Wheeler, who is being held at Broadmoor high security psychiatric hospital in Berkshire, did not react when the guilty verdict was delivered.

He refused to stand for the verdict and was physically held up by three members of court security staff in the dock.

He stared downwards throughout and made no expression when the jury found him guilty of murder."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back