UK UK - Kevin Hicks, 16, Croydon, 2 Mar 1986

I wonder if john thornton was looked at as a potential suspect in this case. He lived nearby, was a member of Sidney Cooke gang and received a five year prison sentence in 1987 for offences against children.

For anyone that's on Tik Tok there's a page dedicated to Kevin featuring interviews with his family etc.

For anyone that's on Tik Tok there's a page dedicated to Kevin featuring interviews with his family etc.

Can you post a link? I don't personally have it but would love to update his post on my page with it

Reactions: THX
Ive always believed that Kevin Hicks and lee Boxell cases are linked.Its strange how they could both just vanish into thin air without anyone seeing anything.Kevin Hicks bike was found outside the shop but i believe it was reported that noone saw him in or around the shop.So i guess the question is did he leave the bike outside the shop or was it placed there by someone?
Hi Martin - Kevin's sister has categorically confirmed that Kevin didn't take his bike with him. His bike was left at home

So if he wasn't on the shop where did he go?...

Wasn't there boys club in that area called 'The Shed' (it's also been a rumoured haunt for Lee Boxell). Could he have gone there?
The shed was in Sutton, some distance away. The paedophile group who operated out of there were interested in underage girls. It's thought that Lee was killed because he witnessed something. The police have ruled out a link between Lee 's and Kevin's disappearance. The very sad thing is that over the years it's come to light that there were a lot of different paedophile groups and individuals operating in the Croydon area. There's no shortage of suspects.

Surely the school can confirm if the egg project was legitimate.

I fear he could be a dirty dozen victim
One of the things that makes me hesitate about the paedophile angle is that Kevin was a bit too old and a bit too big for most of them.

Well that's the question that will solve this case. He left the house saying he was going to buy eggs, he's then seen over an hour later, walking around the area. He must of met with somebody it's the only reasonable explanation. The witness that claimed they saw Kevin over an hour after he left the house. I don't think mentioned that they saw his bicycle. We know His bicycle was found outside the shop did somebody put it there? And who gave Kevin the speakers he was trying to hide?. As for a possible link to Lee boxell I've always felt these cases were linked. As horrible as it is to think we know there were peadofiles operating in Surrey at that time.
The police have ruled out a link between Lee and Kevin's cases. The sad thing is that Croydon and the surrounding area seems to have been a real hotspot for paedophile groups in the 80s so there's no shortage of possibilities. Apart from the shed gang in Sutton that's suspected of Lee's murder, Brian Field committed at least one murder in the area and we know Sidney Cooke was operating in the area with his gang. In recent years at least 4 other paedophiles have been convicted for crimes around the Croydon area in the 80s, ranging from teachers to a football coach to a janitor turned businessman. One of them, Nigel Clayton, seems to have been pretty horrific and very prolific. I don't know if you've listened to "
It is a fair way and not an easy journey to Dolphin Square/Westminster. I think just too far to make this likely. It is easy enough to get to London, but it takes time and is a train and tube or bus. Ha
Hi jackalyn - that particular story about dolphin square etc has been pretty thoroughly discredited. The man behind the allegations, "nick" turned out to be a paedophile himself who'd invented the stories to try and get compensation out of the tax payer.

On the note of Lee Boxall, the last I remember on this case he was linked to have visited a back Street boys club allegedly run by paedophiles I think in the Croydon area, and with possible links to Sidney Cooke and the dirty dozen.

Could Hicks be linked to have been picked up my Cooke?

I fear with Sidney Cookes ring they were prolific for years.
Just about the Lee Boxell case - the shed was a youth club for boys and girls at a church. The paedophile ring operating there was interested in young girls only. Lee is thought to have been killed because he witnessed something and tried to intervene to help the girl being abused. It is not believed that Lee was the victim of grooming or paedophilia himself. Really recommend mark Williams Thomas's podcast "the detective" on the Lee Boxell case. Croydon was something of a paedophile hotspot.

Just adding some stuff to this thread and provide some updates. Firstly a few posts have suggested Kevin's bike was found at the shop. His sister alexandra has categorically confirmed that Kevin did not take his bike with him. It was left at home. Secondly, Alexandra said that the speakers Kevin had were bought with his own money, so she doesn't believe they were used for grooming Kevin. Thirdly, Mark Williams Thomas did a very in depth investigation into the Lee Boxell case and it's on his podcast "The Detectives" - it gives a useful insight into the area at the time. The police have ruled out a link between Lee and Kevin's cases. "The Shed" gang at the church in Sutton where Lee went was interested in young girls. It's thought Lee was killed when he witnessed something to keep him quiet. It's not believed that Lee was groomed or the victim of paedophilia himself. In the podcast, a local man came forward to discuss another paedophile he'd encountered in Sutton, who worked at a bike shop and workshop in the town. He said this man abused him from the age of 14-16, was into violent sex, had links to people in Brighton and others in the area and had discussed snuff films. The victim recalled one incident that left him in fear of his life. The abuse stopped when the boy turned 16 - he was told that he was too old and the abuser didn't like men with dark hair (so that probably rules out Kevin).

The sad thing is that Croydon and the surrounding area seems to have been a real hotspot for paedophile groups in the 80s so there's no shortage of possibilities. Apart from the shed gang in Sutton that's suspected of Lee's murder, Brian Field committed at least one murder in the are and we know Sidney Cooke was operating in the area with his gang. In recent years at least 4 other paedophiles have been convicted for crimes around the Croydon area in the 80s, ranging from teachers to a football coach to a janitor turned businessman. One of them, Nigel Clayton, seems to have been pretty horrific and very prolific. I don't know if anyone reading this grew up in the area at the time, but one of my friends who grew up in Thornton Heath also recalled gangs of men bothering kids in the local park and the park keeper having to ask them to leave.

For what it's worth with Kevin I think there are a few possibilities apart from the paedophilia angle:

1) he was involved in some form of crime that got him into trouble. Possible that the speakers were stolen or that he owed money for them and that got him into trouble. The drugs trade was also not unknown in Croydon at the time. He may also possibly have been involved in sex work. Many young lads drifted into it in the London area back then, both straight and gay, and the main train stations were notorious for it. Sex work brings its own dangers.

2) gay sex cruising. It's possible that Kevin headed out for casual sex in the park or somewhere else nearby. We don't know if Kevin was gay, but being gay back then really required having a secret life. Cruising areas like that are notoriously dangerous, with more than one person (even in recent years) having been killed by criminals or gangs looking to gay bash someone. It's important to note that his sister Alexandra does not believe Kevin was gay. It's interesting to note though that Kevin had apparently spent all day in the park. There seems to have been little said about what he was doing.

3) picked up off the street. People like Brian Field had a record of doing this. However, I think Kevin's age and height counted against that. It would have made it more of a struggle and again, I don't think that his age and height would have made him attractive to a lot of paedophiles.

4) it's possible that Kevin is still alive. It's far from unknown for people to disappear like that and show up decades later. It would make particular sense if Kevin was gay as many gay teenagers back then really did have to runaway. Again, we don't know if Kevin was gay.

Gay cruising does not equal paedophilia, I feel I ought to say, and paedophilia is what this case concerns.
Completely agree. There was though sadly a lot of violence directed at gay men and the murder of gay men in cruising areas was not uncommon (still isn't, sadly), whether it was people looking to gay bash, criminals who wanted to target people who were unlikely to report them, or indeed some gay men who couldn't handle the internalised shame and attacked the man they'd had sex with. One other possibility is that (if Kevin was involved) he may have spotted someone he knew who was very much in the closet and this person attacked him to keep him quiet.

Having spoken to my friend who grew up in the Thornton Heath part of Croydon in those days, he's told me about a number of other incidents that happened to him when he was younger:

1) When he was 15, he had a Saturday job in a Croydon shoe shop. A man came in and basically groomed him. Took him to a pub that night and said he was going away the following weekend and if my friend came, he'd pay. Bizarrely, the man had also brought a camera with him and took some photos of my friend while they were at the pub. It does sound very much like he may have been using the photos to shop him round, to see if anyone might be interested during this "week away". My friend said that after this, the man suddenly went AWOL. My friend saw him some time later and he blanked him. Possible that at 15, my friend was too old.

2) My friend said that when he was young, "dodgy men" used to hang round his local park in Croydon and bother the kids (Winterbourne Rec as it was called then). The park keeper would have to ask them to leave. Some people on other websites have said that a man who Kevin worked with at the Co-op was one one of a gang of "dodgy men" who used to hang around Kevin's park. Of course, Kevin had spent the whole day in his local park before going missing. Reece Collins was also found dead in a park in the area

3) My friend said when he was 12, a man in Croydon swimming baths came up to him in the showers and started to touch him. Indicative of the paedophile problem Croydon had.

We've subsequently learned that Croydon was crawling with paedophiles in those days. It appears to have been part of a conveyor belt along the south east between Southend, into London and then on to Brighton. Brian Field has been mentioned a lot, but it seems likely we can rule him out. He was arrested just a few weeks before Kevin's disappearance for trying to kidnap two boys. Given his previous convictions, it seems very likely that he was subsequently held on remand in prison until his trial.

The Sidney Cooke gang was active in the Croydon area, but grooming with expensive gifts really wasn't their style. They tended to prey on poor boys from neglect filled backgrounds, which certainly wasn't Kevin. He was also rather older than their usual type of victim

Apart from that, there was a huge amount of other crime and corruption going on in the area, as was highlighted in the Daniel Morgan murder enquiry. It's very possible that Kevin had got caught up in that.

Has anyone suggested the pedo Brian Field? (or Fields, can't remember). He killed a boy in 1968 in Surrey and the kid was a little younger than Kevin. Also, he may have taken two boys on Boxing Day 1996.
He had been arrested just a few weeks before Kevin disappeared for trying to kidnap two boys. Given his previous record and the nature of the crime, I think it's incredibly likely he was in prison being held on remand while awaiting his trial.

Ive always believed that Kevin Hicks and lee Boxell cases are linked.Its strange how they could both just vanish into thin air without anyone seeing anything.Kevin Hicks bike was found outside the shop but i believe it was reported that noone saw him in or around the shop.So i guess the question is did he leave the bike outside the shop or was it placed there by someone?
Kevin's sister has confirmed that Kevin did not take his bike. Also, the police have confirmed that they do not believe Lee Boxell and Kevin's case we're linked at all. What has come to light though is that Croydon and the surrounding areas were much darker than people realised. The area was awash with different paedophiles (several were known to police living just within a few streets of where Lee Boxell lived, let alone the wider area). That's not even to mention to very bad drug, crime and rampant police corruption in Croydon that the recent Daniel Morgan murder enquiry uncovered. Sadly, there's absolutely no shortage of possibilities about what happened to Kevin Hicks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back