Found Deceased UK - Kyle Sambrook, 33, missing hiker with dog, not returned from camping trip, car found Glencoe, Scotland 18th Feb 2023.

Glencoe Mountain Rescue statement:

"Yesterday afternoon, volunteer rescuers searching for Kyle Sambrook found the bodies of a man and a dog in a deep gorge above the Fionn Ghleann.

An attempt was made to recover them by helicopter but was unsuccessful due to the terrain, the helicopter was then re-tasked meaning they had to be lowered and carried off the hill by hand.

GMR were joined by Tweed Valley MRT and Oban MRT in a long operation bringing the two down.

We would like to thank Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team, Oban Mountain Rescue Team, Arran Mountain Rescue Team Search & Rescue Dog Association (Scotland), Tweed Valley Mountain Rescue Team, RAF Leeming MRT, Police Scotland MRT, HM Coastguard - Highland Rescue 151 and Rescue 199 for their invaluable help over the last 4 days.

Also thank you for the great response from the hill going public to the requests for information.
Our thoughts are with Kyle's family and friends at this time."

GMR

So likely they fell then? Do you know that spot?

Yep, I know the area. Walked up Fionn Ghleann a few times. It appears that he had climbed up onto Bidean Nam Bian then on to Stob Coire nam Beith before he sadly fell down on the western side of the mountain.
wind? ice? fatigue and darkness/fog?

I was reading the Mountain Rescue Facebook last night and it includes the very detailed comments of a man with Parkinson's who was coming down a ravine holding onto grasses and found himself stuck on a ledge. He recounts it in a lot of detail as "some rocks nearly hit his head" and it is late in the day and he was hoping for a quick way down.

the winter picture here is daunting:
Bidean nam Bian - Stob Coire nam Beith

but, not a rock climber so ropes and cleats...ice axes, hmmm

another good site for people following from afar

Last edited:
wind? ice? fatigue and darkness/fog?

I was reading the Mountain Rescue Facebook last night and it includes the very detailed comments of a man with Parkinson's who was coming down a ravine holding onto grasses and found himself stuck on a ledge. He recounts it in a lot of detail as "some rocks nearly hit his head" and it is late in the day and he was hoping for a quick way down.

the winter picture here is daunting:
Bidean nam Bian - Stob Coire nam Beith

but, not a rock climber so ropes and cleats...ice axes, hmmm

another good site for people following from afar
They reckon that he fell 100 feet in bad weather.

Brian Bathurst, deputy team leader of Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team, said it was possible the landscape gardener was carrying his dog when he fell almost 100ft in “appalling weather”.

Brian Bathurst, deputy team leader of Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team, was among the four members who discovered their bodies.

He said: "He had fallen about 30 metres (98ft) into this gully on the west side of the hill and we think the most likely scenario is that he was holding his dog with one hand."

"It was appalling weather with strong winds at the time of his fall and he may have been trying to get off the hill and lost his way a bit."

"He also had a heavy rucksack and where he has fallen is very steep ground. It looks like carrying the dog, together with all the other factors, may have been a major cause of the accident and led to both of their deaths sadly."

Every time I hiked anywhere in Scotland I was always taught to always hike with someone and to always follow the trails and advise someone else of my hike plan. Was this done by Kyle? Did he have a GPS enabled device/shoes etc. that could be tracked?

Every time I hiked anywhere in Scotland I was always taught to always hike with someone and to always follow the trails and advise someone else of my hike plan. Was this done by Kyle? Did he have a GPS enabled device/shoes etc. that could be tracked?

Yes it's what I always think now when I read these stories - Finn Creaney is another one in the Scottish Highlands.

Some years ago I set out on a solo hike in the Lake District and had given my wife only vague details of where I was going.

Not far from leaving the car I fell into a hidden ditch and badly injured my ankle (permanently). I still think about how it could have turned out if it had happened on the hills. It was quite a remote route I had chosen, not one of the popular ones, so quite possibly there would have been no one around and likely no mobile signal.

Although, in this case it sounds like it was sudden, and obviously fatal, so it would seem that others knowing the hiking route would only have been useful for recovery rather than rescue.

Last edited:
My friends husband volunteers for tweed valley mrt, heard the news from her yesterday about teatime. Really sad news, from all I've seen and read Kyle was a lovely bloke.

was surprised that our mrt had been called out as we're so far away but the weather down here's been ok and it's not yet biking season (99% of our rescues id say)

It reads in what’s been published and in tributes that Kyle was a well seasoned walker. It also seems that he loved Scotland and who could blame him. IMO

When I first read that he was missing the police that mentioned he was dressed suitably.

Sergeant Shaun Knox said: "Kyle was suitably clothed for walking and we believe he had a tent and other equipment with him.

Glencoe Mountain Rescue statement:

"Yesterday afternoon, volunteer rescuers searching for Kyle Sambrook found the bodies of a man and a dog in a deep gorge above the Fionn Ghleann.
Oh my! That sounds like a bad fall from a high position.
An attempt was made to recover them by helicopter but was unsuccessful due to the terrain, the helicopter was then re-tasked meaning they had to be lowered and carried off the hill by hand.

Such a tough rescue. The SAR teams are really just the fittest and strongest people.

My friends husband volunteers for tweed valley mrt, heard the news from her yesterday about teatime. Really sad news, from all I've seen and read Kyle was a lovely bloke.

was surprised that our mrt had been called out as we're so far away but the weather down here's been ok and it's not yet biking season (99% of our rescues id say)

Tweed Valley MRT were on an annual training weekend at Fort William so not far away!

Source: personal knowledge but it’s on their fb page too

I am so sad to hear this news of Kyle and his dog Bane :(. I followed Kyle on Instagram, every few weeks he and Bane were hiking / wild camping across the UK. At the start of this month, they were at the top of Scafell Pike in the Lake District and Helvellyn a few weeks before that. Hikes across Scotland incl Galloway Forrest Park, Cairngorms and even this area of Glencoe, through the Lost valley and Stob Coire Nan Lochan. If you have instagram you can see all his and Bane adventures @K_Sambrook

I am so sad to hear this news of Kyle and his dog Bane :(. I followed Kyle on Instagram, every few weeks he and Bane were hiking / wild camping across the UK. At the start of this month, they were at the top of Scafell Pike in the Lake District and Helvellyn a few weeks before that. Hikes across Scotland incl Galloway Forrest Park, Cairngorms and even this area of Glencoe, through the Lost valley and Stob Coire Nan Lochan. If you have instagram you can see all his and Bane adventures @K_Sambrook
Out of this adversity, welcome to Websleuths! Ceud mìle fàilte! Croeso!

Kyle Sambrook and his pet beagle Bane, who fell 100ft while walking in Glencoe, will have their ashes scattered together, in Scotland.

"Kyle has always wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread in his favourite place, Scotland. We would like to also do the same with Bane, so Kyle can remain with his best friend, son, his everything."

Walker and dog who fell 100ft in Glencoe to have ashes scattered together

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back