GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #25

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by cybervampira, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

I agree. It won't feel like nearly enough for me. He is the reason Libby is dead.

I am not sure what sentence the Judge could give if he is only found guilty of rape. Too high and there will inevitably be an appeal.

2. Fidobell

Fidobell Well-Known Member

Not proven here in Scotland is a cop out . Means the accused is free to go never can be tried again . Outdated law that is to this day is needing removed from our justice system . Google, Amanda Duffy Murdered . Accused Francis Auld .
    Still makes my blood boil .

3. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely it was 7 women and 5 men

Poor Sophie, she sounds as nervous as most of us on here are today

4. MsMiniSleuth

MsMiniSleuth Well-Known Member

If this goes past 4pm, you can surmise there are at least 3 jurors not budging.

I was reading a Peter James novel last year - his last in the Roy Grace series, if you are familiar - and Peter always does thorough research. This one concerned jurors being nobbled, which is not why I mention it, but because it takes you through a court case from one of the juror's point of view. You see how hard it is in this fictional story to get all 12 to agree, and how there are some who want to tie the case up and get done, while a few will not be swayed from their verdict.

5. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

Or watch Henry Fonda pull it off in "Twelve Angry Men". :D

6. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

I tend to think it is more than 2 jurors who have an opposing view to the others. If it were only 1 or 2, we would have the verdict in by now

MOO of course

7. Mommysleuth11

Mommysleuth11 Well-Known Member

I was talking about my personal feelings, not assuming those of her family.

I did attempt to acknowledge that her family will likely feel very differently but its impossible (for me) to say how they feel or what their thoughts may be.

Sorry if you find my thoughts offensive, that wasn't the intention and I tried to be as sensitive as I could in my wording.

8. jamjim

jamjim Well-Known Member

Same here Alyce.

Marg from Oz, Alyce, tedtink and 9 others like this.
  9. bos

bos Well-Known Member

I know the prosecution can’t compel a spouse to testify in court but can anybody tell me whether the police would interview a spouse (knowing it would be inadmissible in court)anyway?
    E.g. in this case asking when she noticed the scratches on his face, what was his explanation for them,what were his movements on night of 31st Jan/1st Feb?

10. Mommysleuth11

Mommysleuth11 Well-Known Member

Exactly this, or even a few more minutes might have 'helped' me be sure.

11. Lyall0814

Lyall0814 Well-Known Member

If I was in that room I'd say wait until after lunch. "It's warmer in here than it is out there"

12. Scorpiette

Scorpiette Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm surprised there have been no 'character' references from either side. I'm amazed his wife hasn't been called for her account of that night, with PR's comings and goings, bath and washing clothes etc. How long he was off work for, and why?

13. elliefant

elliefant Numpty

For all we know it could be the guilty voters who are in the minority holding out. They might prefer to see him retried than found not guilty.

14. Newthoughts

Newthoughts Well-Known Member

If I'm really honest I don't know what the jury are struggling with. I don't understand the doubts at all because they seem to focus solely one bit of evidence.

The choices are murder because he's close enough to the river or misadventure because he's close to the river.

Or believe his defence and misadventure from outside the park.

If he's taken her close to the river why leave all that evidence? Makes no sense at all. And it's another convenient PR protecting lie.

We now know he has impulse control because we know he didn't act immediately he saw Libby. Yet he risks going out again after a rape. He's not stupid

We know he lies to suit..

15. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble Well-Known Member

and a fresh jury I presume?

16. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble Well-Known Member

I guess you only need a few stubborn extremely opinionated or extremely liberal people in a group to cause an issue. JMO

17. ChiCubs2016

ChiCubs2016 Well-Known Member

I am curious about how he will react to any guilty verdict. We know he had a temper when he was sentenced for his previous crimes. MOO

18. kate2931

kate2931 Well-Known Member

I agree. I completely believe he is guilty, but just one of the things you’ve listed could have been what an unsure juror/s really needed to reach a murder verdict.

I imagined more complex evidence would have been presented by the prosecution, did the police not do thorough enough leg work ? I’m convinced he must have awful internet searches relating to asphyxiation and rape at the very least.

Really didn’t expect the trial to remind me of how ‘basic’ Lindsay Birbeck’s was. Although the outcome there was guilty.

whatever the outcome now, I’m still hoping the judge will give him life on the rape charge. In this country, we know a murder sentence can still mean very little in terms of serving time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  19. MsMiniSleuth

MsMiniSleuth Well-Known Member

Of course, we don't know what is going on in the jurors' room. For example, most may be agreeing on rape, while they cannot decide on whether the second count was murder or manslaughter. Or vice versa.

20. kate2931

kate2931 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I think of a few people I know and if they were ever to serve on a jury ...yikes o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.