GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #26

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by cybervampira, Feb 2, 2019.

1. C.greek

C.greek Well-Known Member

The more I read on here, the more I learn, the more content I am that justice prevailed. He seemingly had one of the best defence barristers, CPS gave their best to convict him, the jury deliberated for what seemed like eternity, going over again and again apparently key evidence, the judge was completely impartial and to the point. Libby got justice and for this I am if I may say optimistic. I have faith in the state, the justice and the people asked to take part in such democratic processes. PR had a fair trial. Life was fairer for him than it was for Libby and for this I am deeply sad. At least, Libby can now fly high and when the time comes be reunited with her loved ones. Mixed bag of feelings. There, I got it off my chest

Kasmeer, RosalindaA, Jonio and 25 others like this.

2. Pinkizzy

Pinkizzy Well-Known Member

Barristers follow the cab rank rule, don't they? A Solicitor approaches Chambers and the first available Barrister works on that case.

Alyce, jamjim, stephaniejanes and 4 others like this.
  3. Pinkizzy

Pinkizzy Well-Known Member

Duplicate post

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Dotta likes this.
  4. Ruthbullock

Ruthbullock Well-Known Member

Never heard of that before, but they do follow cab rank rule (now I have read about it)- that doesn’t always mean the first available barrister works on the case.

5. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

I think the defence barrister had his hands full with PR!

Kasmeer, Bethan, RosalindaA and 17 others like this.
  6. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

Especially as he changed his story when standing in the dock.

Mr Saxby certainly earned his money defending PR.
    I wonder how he felt seeing his client smirking and laughing in court and staring at Libby's parents.

7. Dotta

Dotta Well-Known Member

I know - the same is in Poland. The closing question in my post was rhetorical one. Nobody *forced* the lawyer. He wanted to take this case although the client was an immigrant and certainly not wealthy one. I respect him.

Bethan, ChiCubs2016 and Marg from Oz like this.
  8. Dotta

Dotta Well-Known Member

Job hazard? :)

Bethan, Becky53, Scorpiette and 4 others like this.
  9. HongKongPhooey

When he took the case, he would also have known that it would be v high profile. Beautiful young girl, the circumstances, the other offences etc. What he cant have known is as Skigh said, how many times PR would change his story and even that he would take the stand.

Kasmeer, Zazie, Becky53 and 13 others like this.
  10. Dotta

Dotta Well-Known Member

Touche! A tiny cynic in me agrees with you haha

11. Kelly C

Kelly C Well-Known Member

This is going to sound really stupid but was he smirking in court? In all the court drawings he had a face mask on. Thank goodness! The less the parents saw of him and his expressions, the better IMO

12. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz Well-Known Member

Do men's prisons in England have female staff members? For someone who was so highly sexed, how is he coping these days? I am wondering if it continues with female staff. I wonder how often he has been written up. If he still persues his past time while in prison I can't see him ever getting out. MOO

13. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

It's not up to the police though. I don't doubt for a moment that they wanted him tried for murder, but the decision lies with the CPS, and they won't prosecute unless they think there's enough evidence for a reasonable chance of a guilty verdict. It was quite a long tense wait before they charged him with murder. Even then they had to use his previous convictions as a main plank of evidence, and of course that usually isn't allowed.

solar, RosalindaA, Scorpiette and 2 others like this.
  14. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

I had a friend who was a probation officer at Wakefield years ago (around when Shipman hung himself there). Shame I lost touch with her really, could have tapped her up for some insider knowledge!

She was young and attractive and hard as nails, I remember her doing self defence courses. Her boyfriend hated her working there.

15. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

I cannot see his fellow convicts taking kindly to him wanking in the corridors and leaving deposits on their cell doors.

solar, Kasmeer, Becky53 and 10 others like this.
  16. Inspector No Clueso

Inspector No Clueso Active Member

It's been a long day but I for one will be hopefully sleeping a lot better than he is tonight. I hope that he is wanting his mother right now.
    Before I conk out, I would like to thank those who have kept us updated on the progression of events, those who have educated me on points of law, forensics etc. but most of all, all of you for making me realise I wasn't crazy for spending so much time thinking about someone I never even knew.
    I'll be going across to Hull at some point this coming week to clear out my son's place as the current situation has meant him moving back home for the foreseeable. I mention this because I will either be putting some flowers by her bench or scattering them in the park and, if that's okay, it will be on behalf of all of you.
    However, I seem to remember from thread -107 or something, when I was lurking still (only on day 3 as member) that she liked white tulips??? If I have got that wrong and someone remembers exactly, could they please let me know - or confirm.

solar, Bethan, CSBR and 28 others like this.
  17. HongKongPhooey

:eek:

Becky53, Alyce, jamjim and 5 others like this.
  18. Jenesaisquoi

Jenesaisquoi Well-Known Member

I expect PR will get his own twisted fan mail. Probably including some ‘journalists’ out to provoke him into revealing his innermost whinges.

19. Newthoughts

Newthoughts Well-Known Member

I think his mask was off when he gave evidence and that seems to be when the smirking and laughing was noted

RosalindaA, Kelly C, Alyce and 6 others like this.
  20. Dotta

Dotta Well-Known Member

That's for sure! I once read about European women going to USA to meet pen pal prisoners on Death Row. Some even got married. Life is stranger than fiction.