GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #26

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by cybervampira, Feb 2, 2019.

1. RubyLee87

RubyLee87 Well-Known Member

Libby killer Relowicz was already in jail and set for early release

It’s frightening to think that if the verdicts had been different, PR could have been released as early as Christmas this year. It makes me think about the lenient sentences for sex offenders in this country. Their actions leave significant psychological scars on their victims but the sentences do not reflect this. Many also go on to offend again after release. We really need to address this problem before more innocent people lose their lives like Libby did. It can easily escalate into something more.

2. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

I agree, but unless you are going to lock them up forever, what is to be done? Prison does nothing to fix the problem. All you do is fill the jails.

There is a huge societal problem with domestic violence and predatory men

solar, Catsarse, Kasmeer and 15 others like this.
  3. Stumpyaura

Stumpyaura Well-Known Member

This piece made me feel so sad, the thought of poor Libby's body floating in water for 7 weeks. It must be agony for her mum to think about that now, the line about it being in a busy shipping lane upset me so much. It is so important to bereaved parents that their child is able to be brought home and given a dignified burial. The thought that another human can take a life and then so carelessly throw their body away giving families no closure is unbearable.

4. Scorpiette

Scorpiette Well-Known Member

I've always thought VOLUNTARY chemical castration and counselling could be offered to sex offenders in return for a shorter sentence? Helps partially solve the shortage of prison space and cuts the chance of reoffending?

5. Kelly C

Kelly C Well-Known Member

Of course! That makes sense x

6. Becky53

Becky53 Well-Known Member

Miggs from “Silence of the Lambs” springs to mind after reading this. :D
    In fact IIRC there’s an inmate at Wakefield who is kept in a glass cell in the basement there.

7. Kelly C

I am a mental health nurse turned service manager in the NHS and have been working in mental health services for all of my adult life, including forensics (high psychiatric hospital)

I’m sure people may have anecdotal evidence about mental health services but I can tell you if someone needs help they will get it. The gutter press always say how bad the system is. In prisons it is so difficult and not comparable to mental health settings. He won’t get every intervention he wants. He just won’t x

8. Angel47

Angel47 Member

Attached Files:

solar, Ruthbullock, Kasmeer and 17 others like this.
  9. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Robert Maudsley. Committed one murder, went to jail, and has killed three inmates since. Very grim reading indeed.

10. Jenesaisquoi

Jenesaisquoi Well-Known Member

In my own life experience, that is simply not true in the sense that it is not available early enough to prevent escalation of distressing feelings.

Also, look at Leah Croucher’s thread on here - do you think her brother got the help he needed? I don’t.

I am not getting at you here. I just think that there is a mismatch between what mh services think is appropriate care and what service users and family do.

11. CoverMeCagney

A bit of closure for them as well I suppose, must have been very harrowing to listen to all the evidence and then the heartbreaking impact statements.

I know nobody’s exactly celebrating the sentence, but the alternative of him being found not guilty and being out within a year just doesn’t bear thinking about.

I don’t think any of us will ever forget lovely Libby, it’s not often a case gets to us like this. RIP beautiful girl.

solar, Kasmeer, ChiCubs2016 and 17 others like this.
  12. Kelly C

I can only talk from what I know and if the government gave us more funding we could do more. But in the services I know and have managed, we’ve helped people very early on and saved their lives. I don’t want to get into a debate here about random cases. I do a very good job and sick of being told we are not doing enough

13. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

Everyone's talking about thr RNLI, and indeed they do a wonderful job, but credit where credit is due - it was the sharp eyes of a fisherman that spotted Libby in the nick of time, and he and the rest of the fishing boat crew who made sure she could be retrieved.

solar, Catsarse, Kasmeer and 18 others like this.
  14. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

How about snowdrops instead? This is their time. Tulips will fail unless carefully tended, but snowdrops will come back every year and multiply without much attention. A cousin of mine planted snowdrops on a bank nearly 30 years ago in memory of her parents, and they have spread and flowered every year since.

solar, Catsarse, Ruthbullock and 21 others like this.
  15. Vixey

Vixey Well-Known Member

Agree, voluntary groups eg search and rescue teams are just amazing. So lucky that day to find Libby so she could come home and Lay to rest :(

16. CoverMeCagney

<modsnip>

Snowdrops are a lovely idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2021
  17. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

No - that was my point, it was NOT a voluntary group who found her. They retrieved her, but it was fishermen doing their day jobs that found her.

18. Vixey

Vixey Well-Known Member

Agree, voluntary groups eg search and rescue teams are just amazing. So lucky that day to find Libby so she could come home and Lay to rest :(
    I will do, agree I contacted Nicola on the lady driving to Gatwick airport who seen corrie that morning with three males in a distressed state. She repeatedly contacted police, I sent this information to Nicola and it was not until she mentioned it on a press interview did the police take a statement. over a year of trying, I can only imagine they have a good idea what information is needed and what has probably happened:( Is their a group for Terry Mcspadden? Will look as that case is a very odd one also. Thank you x

19. Vixey

Vixey Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, I thought you meant those who took place in searches that day.Yes agree regarding the fisherman,It Must have been very upsetting and took its toll emotionally, Amazing effort from him to retrieve her body and bring her home.Do not feel Libby would ever have been found otherwise as so Close to going out and lost forever :(

20. Inspector No Clueso

Inspector No Clueso Active Member

Sorry @Cherwell I made a mess of posting and it ended up in the middle of your post. Cold fingers and tiny screen

Marg from Oz and ChiCubs2016 like this.