GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #26

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by cybervampira, Feb 2, 2019.

1. HollyHunter9

HollyHunter9 Well-Known Member

Totally agree skigh. On hearing the sad news about Claudia's father it did make me think that hers and Leah's cases are quite similar. :(

2. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

I do not think they are that similar .Claudia lived a much more vibrant life than Leah . The police have closely investigated her closest friends and associates. They have so far refused to speak with a man Leah was apparently secretly meeting .

3. HollyHunter9

HollyHunter9 Well-Known Member

I just meant in the sense that both were 'linked' to married/unavailable men and there was a lot of secrecy around their private lives which came out after they disappeared. I have to admit I don't know an awful lot about Claudia's case and Leah I think sadly was young, naive and fell in love with the wrong person. I do find it odd how in Leah's case the police won't even entertain the idea of investigating certain 'friends' of hers.

*edited for grammar

4. Miss_French

Miss_French Well-Known Member

The police don't know what Leah did the night before her disappearance because she kept it a secret! Everyone else has been interviewed.

Happygirlie2003 and Marg from Oz like this.
  5. Jenesaisquoi

Jenesaisquoi Well-Known Member

Probably need to keep this thread relating to Libby. (But please do join us on the other threads too).

What would prompt an appeal? Would lawyers review as a matter of routine or is it up to PR to request contact with legal services?

6. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

Perhaps we need to continue discussion about Leah in the thread linked by Alyce .

7. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

8. jamjim

jamjim Well-Known Member

I've just been reading through this page, it's got some useful information:

Appealing Against a Crown Court Sentence | Defence-Barrister.co.uk — Defence-Barrister.co.uk

"Do I always have the right to appeal against my Crown Court sentence?
    No. To appeal against your sentence you have to get permission and this will only be granted if you have grounds which are considered to be properly arguable."

The appeal will have to be within 28 days, also.

solar, Sera, snoopy5 and 11 others like this.
  9. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

thanks for that link, very interesting.

10. Scorpiette

Scorpiette Well-Known Member

11. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 Well-Known Member

Ugh I remember this creep. People seem to think PR will be in for a tough time from the other 'residents' at Wakefield Prison but reality is they are probably all as bad as him. Huge amount of sex offenders and men that have committed crimes against women and children are in there.

Personally I think he will have a lot in common with them rather than feel at risk from them.

12. Whitehall 1212

Whitehall 1212 Verified Law Enforcement and SAR (UK)

And this is where effective community policing, enabling proper engagement with the Polish, student and other local communities would quite likely have taken PR off the streets much sooner and possible spared Libby.

Local officers knowing the local issues, offence profiles, known villains and giving people the confidence to approach with concerns rather than anonymous telephone numbers does work hand over fist.

Sadly, reduced officer numbers has resulted in many offences not being properly investigated.

Rest in Peace Libby. Your story of hope and untimely tragic loss has touched many hearts.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Kasmeer, CSBR, Marg from Oz and 7 others like this.
  13. Whitehall 1212

Unfortunately, he is so dangerous that he can't associate with others prisoners or have means, by which he could fashion a makeshift weapon to attack a prison officer. I agree that it seems inhumane but Maudsley is inhuman so what else could be done?

Marg from Oz and ChiCubs2016 like this.
  14. mrazda71

mrazda71 Human bean

To not have prison officers converse with him is quite literally a method of torture. To spend 25 years in solitary confinement is quite literally torture.

15. Newthoughts

Newthoughts Well-Known Member

I agree. Only PR is responsible but Libby was also a victim of savage police cuts that would have allowed investigation of his so called 'lower level' crimes. A real false economy when you consider not just the incredible human cost but the financial costs of investigating the results of not intervening early

CSBR, Marg from Oz, Angel47 and 9 others like this.
  16. Vermont24

Vermont24 Well-Known Member

Kasmeer, Jonio, Sera and 17 others like this.
  17. Joolz1975

I feel really conflicted about him because he has done some awful things but never to anyone innocent and his childhood was truly horrific (I know many people have awful upbringings and no excuse).

But if the prison system cant handle him effectively enough that they have to keep him caged like an animal with no company then IMO he has been dealt a pretty crappy hand compared to some that have committed similar or worse crimes who appear to have it pretty cushy.

He is an old man now, surely there is a better way (secure hospital again maybe).

18. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

I don't like the implications of this.

Marg from Oz and Scorpiette like this.
  19. Whitehall 1212

I would agree with that. To be denied any meaningful human interaction is a form of mental torture. I would add the caveat though. We do not know the real situation or how Maudsley presents.

Marg from Oz, tedtink and Newthoughts like this.
  20. Joolz1975

Why? He is unlikely to be deported until his sentence finished anyway so why keep him any longer than needed?

Marg from Oz, bos, elliefant and 3 others like this.