GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #26

Totality – Sentencing

It crossed my mind that the recent sentence may not have been weighted correctly to take account of the multiple convictions of voyeurism, etc. Remember he got a reduction on appeal which IMO probably should be at least reversed after the murder and rape convictions were established. The total sentence would still need to meet certain criteria including just and proportionate. There's still time for an appeal of course.

If a message was put on a local Hull fb page I am sure people who have them growing in their garden would be happy to donate a clump to plant for Libby.
Has anyone done anything about this? It's just the right time now, as snowdrops are reaching the end of their flowering period, to divide and replant clumps, if a suitable spot can be found. Perhaps at the university?

Libby Squire: Murderer Pawel Relowicz's sentence 'not unduly lenient'

"A request to increase a serial sex offender's 27-year jail sentence for the rape and murder of Libby Squire has been rejected.

Pawel Relowicz was convicted last month of the fatal attack on the 21-year-old Hull University Student.

His prison term had been referred to the Attorney General's Office (AGO) for consideration under the Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme.

A spokesperson said the "high threshold" for a review was not met."

Last edited:
Libby Squire: Murderer Pawel Relowicz's sentence 'not unduly lenient'

"A request to increase a serial sex offender's 27-year jail sentence for the rape and murder of Libby Squire has been rejected.

Pawel Relowicz was convicted last month of the fatal attack on the 21-year-old Hull University Student.

His prison term had been referred to the Attorney General's Office (AGO) for consideration under the Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme.

A spokesperson said the "high threshold" for a review was not met."

Shame. He deserves to rot in prison imo. I don't believe he could be rehabilitated. moo.

I realise I am super late to the thread. I have followed from very early on in the case, and this was the first thread I checked in obsessively on. The dedication of sleuthers was incredible, and a special thanks to those who took the time to photograph/video/map locations - these were so helpful for really understanding the case, why searches were being conducted where they were etc. and ultimately, the evidence which emerged during trial.

I have finally, after many years of lurking, taken the step of joining WS. I know I am far too late to make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, but there are a few points from way back in the thread that have stuck with me and I thought I'd add my tuppence on one of them for now, for anyone who may be interested. Apologies in advance for the length.

Many questioned why those who heard the screams didn't say/do anything at the time. Some pointed out that it may be due to frequent late night noise in the area. I can share a relevant experience on this. I live on a main road, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. We are on the way home for merry students and tipsy locals alike. Pre-COVID, there was rarely a night that went by without people screaming, things crashing/been thrown about in the street, singing, swearing etc. Even during COVID, one of our student neighbours seems to have had a bit of a meltdown and there was the most traumatised, horrific screaming (tortured, awful to hear) for about 2 minutes before her housemates dragged her inside and (presumably) calmed her down. For the first few years I lived here (when I was also a student), I got up when there was a middle of the night disturbance and checked what was going on etc. You can't do it 4 nights+ a week, often multiple times a night, long-term and do well at work/live your own life once you're out of the student lifestyle and working full-time. You end up exhausted. Over recent years I started to only get up if it's clear the noise isn't in motion. From experience, if the noise is stationary for a period that's when it's usually trouble (normally fights, sometimes criminal damage etc.) - so I'll have a gander and call the police if circumstances appear to necessitate it.

How does this relate to Libby? One word, guilt. A few years back I was woken up by screaming/shouting/banging around 01:00 on a Sunday morning. It wasn't going anywhere fast so I got up to see what was going on. A group was trashing the local war memorial and trying to kick in peoples' front doors. Rang police, duly advised, went back to bed. Woken up again by female screaming and swearing (think of a less polite way to say 'get lost') around an hour later, with a male voice trying to calm her down, but it went quiet pretty fast so I assumed it was the neighbours coming home drunk and bickering, went back to sleep. Woken up again about half an hour later by drunken group singing, waited for them to pass, went back to sleep. 2 days later the police were round - 'had I heard/seen anything the night of such and such'? Well yes - reported as above (with descriptions of the group seen/repeat of info provided on call to 101, accurate timings etc.).

The second incident was apparently my neighbour arguing/fighting with the man that seriously sexual assaulted her moments later. I still feel awful that I didn't get up. I was operating on years of experience that told me its mostly high jinks, there's rarely anything serious and if there had already been one notably rowdy incident that night there wouldn't be another - you couldn't have two 'need to get up fors' in one night, it just didn't happen (fairly low crime rates/considered a safe area). Well it did that night and I prioritised my own sleep - I didn't get up. Had I done so, I would have paid attention to what exactly was being said, rather than writing it off as another drunken row under the bedroom window. I would have seen her being bundled through her own front door - where she should have been safe - as well as who was with her. I would have probably realised that she wasn't being 'helped home' at all and needed assistance. I could have just called out the window and asked if she was OK, it would have taken seconds. I could have called the police. There is one huge what if? and so many consequential missed opportunities to be of any help to her at the time, or in the subsequent investigation. Instead, I (albeit unknowingly) treated her suffering like a regular nuisance; nothing to be worried about, just grumble to yourself about moving house, roll over and go back to sleep. In retrospect, yes the screaming did have a sense of urgency to it, but unfortunately I have heard more disturbing screams coming from people just mucking about on their way home so I went with that assumption, to my everlasting regret.

I can only imagine what the witnesses to Libby's screams have felt since, knowing that she lost her life in the most horrific of circumstances. I believe that the sense of guilt is likely to be long-lasting and significant.

I hope the above helps explain how it's difficult, when half asleep and relatively acclimatised to late-night noise, to know whether to stir and check something out or not, and then to make the decision whether to contact the police or not. You don't want to end up as the one that cries wolf - where I live if I reported every set of screams between 00:00 and 05:00 I think they would be reluctant to take my calls! It's not an easy judgement to make, and since LS I at least try to put the live view on the Ring cam to get a better idea of what's going on and help make an informed decision about whether to get up and investigate further.

Apologies if this is rambling and/or misplaced. Just thought now I finally have an account I'd take the time to share.

Wow South park, thanks for posting and painting such a vivid picture of why they maybe didn't ring the police. I guess unless you live in a student area or on a nightclub run, it's hard to imagine all the drama you hear and the judgement calls you have to make. The system you had for deciding whether to get involved sounds a good one and at least you didn't just ignore it all as I'm sure some would end up doing.

So - this seems to be the end of PR's story. He didn't lodge an appeal and also his sentence wasn't made longer. I thought I would only follow Derek Chauvin trial but, unfortunately, another woman lost her life murdered by a pervert cop - poor Sarah E. The case is almost a carbon copy of Libby's. When you read about one sexual perperator you read about them all. No rest for the wicked it seems.

It's still a life sentence. The 27 year term is the earliest he can be considered for parole. If he's still considered a risk at that point, he won't be released.
I hope so but it still seems a symbolic kick in the teeth to her family and doesn't send the right message. I believe there are calls to come down harder on murders with a sexual motive. I hope every minute of that miserable @#$@s life inside is hell even tho it'll never match the hell her loved ones must be going thru

I realise I am super late to the thread. I have followed from very early on in the case, and this was the first thread I checked in obsessively on. The dedication of sleuthers was incredible, and a special thanks to those who took the time to photograph/video/map locations - these were so helpful for really understanding the case, why searches were being conducted where they were etc. and ultimately, the evidence which emerged during trial.

I have finally, after many years of lurking, taken the step of joining WS. I know I am far too late to make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, but there are a few points from way back in the thread that have stuck with me and I thought I'd add my tuppence on one of them for now, for anyone who may be interested. Apologies in advance for the length.

Many questioned why those who heard the screams didn't say/do anything at the time. Some pointed out that it may be due to frequent late night noise in the area. I can share a relevant experience on this. I live on a main road, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. We are on the way home for merry students and tipsy locals alike. Pre-COVID, there was rarely a night that went by without people screaming, things crashing/been thrown about in the street, singing, swearing etc. Even during COVID, one of our student neighbours seems to have had a bit of a meltdown and there was the most traumatised, horrific screaming (tortured, awful to hear) for about 2 minutes before her housemates dragged her inside and (presumably) calmed her down. For the first few years I lived here (when I was also a student), I got up when there was a middle of the night disturbance and checked what was going on etc. You can't do it 4 nights+ a week, often multiple times a night, long-term and do well at work/live your own life once you're out of the student lifestyle and working full-time. You end up exhausted. Over recent years I started to only get up if it's clear the noise isn't in motion. From experience, if the noise is stationary for a period that's when it's usually trouble (normally fights, sometimes criminal damage etc.) - so I'll have a gander and call the police if circumstances appear to necessitate it.

How does this relate to Libby? One word, guilt. A few years back I was woken up by screaming/shouting/banging around 01:00 on a Sunday morning. It wasn't going anywhere fast so I got up to see what was going on. A group was trashing the local war memorial and trying to kick in peoples' front doors. Rang police, duly advised, went back to bed. Woken up again by female screaming and swearing (think of a less polite way to say 'get lost') around an hour later, with a male voice trying to calm her down, but it went quiet pretty fast so I assumed it was the neighbours coming home drunk and bickering, went back to sleep. Woken up again about half an hour later by drunken group singing, waited for them to pass, went back to sleep. 2 days later the police were round - 'had I heard/seen anything the night of such and such'? Well yes - reported as above (with descriptions of the group seen/repeat of info provided on call to 101, accurate timings etc.).

The second incident was apparently my neighbour arguing/fighting with the man that seriously sexual assaulted her moments later. I still feel awful that I didn't get up. I was operating on years of experience that told me its mostly high jinks, there's rarely anything serious and if there had already been one notably rowdy incident that night there wouldn't be another - you couldn't have two 'need to get up fors' in one night, it just didn't happen (fairly low crime rates/considered a safe area). Well it did that night and I prioritised my own sleep - I didn't get up. Had I done so, I would have paid attention to what exactly was being said, rather than writing it off as another drunken row under the bedroom window. I would have seen her being bundled through her own front door - where she should have been safe - as well as who was with her. I would have probably realised that she wasn't being 'helped home' at all and needed assistance. I could have just called out the window and asked if she was OK, it would have taken seconds. I could have called the police. There is one huge what if? and so many consequential missed opportunities to be of any help to her at the time, or in the subsequent investigation. Instead, I (albeit unknowingly) treated her suffering like a regular nuisance; nothing to be worried about, just grumble to yourself about moving house, roll over and go back to sleep. In retrospect, yes the screaming did have a sense of urgency to it, but unfortunately I have heard more disturbing screams coming from people just mucking about on their way home so I went with that assumption, to my everlasting regret.

I can only imagine what the witnesses to Libby's screams have felt since, knowing that she lost her life in the most horrific of circumstances. I believe that the sense of guilt is likely to be long-lasting and significant.

I hope the above helps explain how it's difficult, when half asleep and relatively acclimatised to late-night noise, to know whether to stir and check something out or not, and then to make the decision whether to contact the police or not. You don't want to end up as the one that cries wolf - where I live if I reported every set of screams between 00:00 and 05:00 I think they would be reluctant to take my calls! It's not an easy judgement to make, and since LS I at least try to put the live view on the Ring cam to get a better idea of what's going on and help make an informed decision about whether to get up and investigate further.

Apologies if this is rambling and/or misplaced. Just thought now I finally have an account I'd take the time to share.

I think this is a great post

I also living in the central city in high density housing apartment blocks.

I routinely hear all kinds of tomfoolery from drunks, people messing around in the hinterhof, parties, fights, 'screams" etc

Sometimes i get up and go on the balcony to see if i can at least see anything or where it is coming from.

Most of the time what can you actually report or do? Where did the noise even come from? Where would you go and look?

So - this seems to be the end of PR's story. He didn't lodge an appeal and also his sentence wasn't made longer. I thought I would only follow Derek Chauvin trial but, unfortunately, another woman lost her life murdered by a pervert cop - poor Sarah E. The case is almost a carbon copy of Libby's. When you read about one sexual perperator you read about them all. No rest for the wicked it seems.
It's an alleged murder, isn't it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back