UK - Lin, 45, & Megan Russell, 6, Chillenden, Kent, 9 July 1996

BBC have a more indepth article now which covers a lot of the information from the documentary: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41652456

I'd forgotten just how unpleasant and violent a man Stone was; it may well be that his being in prison prevented him from escalating to murder, but I do feel that he is not responsible for this crime. I'm less sure about Bellfield, but there is certainly more cause for suspicion of him than there is for Stone (height, build, car mysteriously being burned out soon afterwards, type of crime...). Kent police sound completely uninterested in the possibility that it might have been a wrongful conviction, so I hope that it can be proven that Bellfield was responsible; that's clearly the only way this miscarriage of justice can be resolved (assuming that is IS a miscarriage, but it certainly looks unsafe from where I'm sitting).

bellfeild said he was prepaire to take a polygraph test to prove he dident do the russel murders but so far he has not doneit what does that say.

His ex wife said LB had an alibi for that day in Chilenden so I wonder if she made it up or if something new has come to light. I don't understand why it's come back up again.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link. Was that Jury Room programme shown here in the UK? If so, did anyone watch it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I watched it. I remember the news flash first reporting the murders and have followed it ever since. I don't live that far away from Chillenden these days.

They didn't present any evidence that we aren't already aware of. They also put LB in the frame. He had an alibi from his girlfriend, who was a witness for the prosecution at LB trial. The hammer attacks were in residential streets usually in darkness. The attack on the Russells was in broad daylight down an isolated country lane. In all likelihood it was a chance encounter.

I don't understand why MS thought he would be tricked into confessing to something he didn't do? BS, in my opinion.

IMO this isn't a miscarriage of justice. The right man is in jail. The witness statement puts him at the scene near to where bloody clothing(or was it the hammer? I forget now will have to check) was found. Another thing LB didn't do, discard stained clothing in public places.

Last edited:
the dna on the towel does not belong to stone to my mind that lcearly prove his innoence belfield has no albi for the murders as was demonstrated in the reent documentry. the efit does not resemble stone but its a dead ringer for beleild.

the dna on the towel does not belong to stone to my mind that lcearly prove his innoence belfield has no albi for the murders as was demonstrated in the reent documentry. the efit does not resemble stone but its a dead ringer for beleild.

Welcome to Websleuths

Please can you provide a link to evidence regarding DNA on toweling?

Key piece of evidence in murders of Lin and Megan Russell is FOUND after being lost for 14 years | Daily Mail Online

'A bootlace, used to tie up one of the girls, was dropped by the killer and later found at the scene by detectives

A small part of the lace was tested for DNA at the time. But, with the processes still in their infancy, the tests came back inconclusive.

Lawyers for Stone have repeatedly argued since 2007 for the whole lace to be tested.

But police have insisted that a large section of the lace no longer exists, having never been returned to police after forensic testing.

Police then reportedly said the lace had been tested to the point of destruction 1998.

But, according to the Sun, the larger lace section has now been found again - supposedly at a police station. '

I don't think my eyes could get any wider. How can this be used credible evidence?

Bootlace could be ‘huge’ in Stone’s bid to clear name over Chillenden murders

'Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Fotheringham of Kent Police said: “We are aware that the Criminal Cases Review Commission is considering an application from Michael Stone appealing his conviction for the murders of Lin and Megan Russell and the attempted murder of Josie Russell in 1996.

“We are engaged with the CCRC and have been providing them with all the relevant information and evidence required in relation to the case.

“Much like a live investigation, it would not be appropriate at this stage of the review to disclose the nature of the materials provided.

“Since Stone was imprisoned there have been allegations and statements that have been set against what has already been disclosed and they have not provided information that changes the position of Kent Police in relation to his conviction.”

Stone is asking for leave to appeal for at least the second if not the third time. This is a thorn in KP's side.

Whilst the lack of dna evidence is troubling it wasn't the be all and end all in cases in the 90s.

Stone came to their attention because he had threatened to kill his family in the days before and had form for smacking people with a hammer.

If they test it now and it comes back negative after all this time and being kept in unknown conditions, what does it prove? They could be letting an innocent man out or they could be putting a killer back on the streets.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.

Wow, interesting! Chain of custody would have to be a big problem if the bootlace was to be used as evidence to convict A.N. Other, however if it did point to someone more plausible than Stone, I think it very much should be used to support his case, which already has merit in my opinion. We already had the towel strips with DNA components from an unknown male (Not Stone, nor the husband/father), if the bootlace should also produce unrelated DNA, then that adds a big forensic argument in his favour, particularly if it ties in with the partial profile from the towel.

It'll be very interesting indeed to see what follows from this, I hope it supplies some evidence to clarify things one way or another, as it's a case that makes a few of us very uneasy, judging by posts I read here.

One of the reasons I've always thought that it can't be Belfield is this part of the sequence of events:

"Josie recalled how he demanded money from her mother but at some point a psychopathic trigger inside him set off an explosion of wanton violence."
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Nightmare in broad daylight

I don't think Belfield is reported using robbery in any of the attacks he did, and he always attacked lone females (aged 13,19,18,22) with what appears to be always a sexual motive. The particulars of the demand for money certainly fit more with Stone than Belfield given that Stone had a drug habit and had a string of convictions for theft / robbery already. Also Belfield's murder spree (convicted for) was 2002-2004 but the Chillenden murders were 6 years earlier, just seems to be such a large gap when he committed 5 in a 4 year period.

The evidence used for the conviction of Stone lacked any solid forensic evidence and I've read the so-called confession statement which isn't terribly convincing so I can get on board with a possible miscarriage of justice, I just think Belfield doesn't fit with the circumstances.

I agree @tallmansix when LB started his hammer attacks there were often just weeks in between. I was in Kingston at the time and practically ran to the train station whilst looking over my shoulder if l was alone early in the morning.

No other known attacks on small children as far l know, was Mille the youngest?

He also has an alibi from an ex with no reason to give him an alibi.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back