UK UK - Mark Garvey, 15, Bootle, Merseyside, 2 March 1987

Al Ka

Reaction score
Mark Garvey

Mark-Garvey.jpg
sun25512mg.JPG

Missing since March 2, 1987 from Bootle, Merseyside, United Kingdom.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: December 12, 1971
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; slim build
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Straight brown hair; brown eyes. A freckled complexion. Slim build.
Circumstances of Disappearance

Garvey disappeared on 2nd March 1987 following a row with his girlfriend.
Mark had been to visit his girlfriend at her home 3 miles away. After they rowed, Mark left saying he was going to the bus stop. Since that time no one has seen Mark.
He only enough money for his bus fare and usually Mark would ring home if he was going to be late.

The Doe Network: Case File 398DMUK

Published 25 DEC 2016

Mark Garvey

Age at time of disappearance: 15

What is known: On the night he went missing, Mark left his mum’s home in Walton to visit his girlfriend in West Derby. The couple had an argument and Mark left in tears. He was last seen walking to get the bus by the Jolly Miller pub on Queens Drive.

Mark had been doing well at school, and had a happy home life. Three years after his disappearance his mum Dot received a letter from a man in Croydon saying he was “90% sure” he had seen Mark. She clings on to the hope he is still alive.

Can you help solve these missing people cases?

11 DEC 2016
Watch Liverpool mum's plea to find missing son 30 years after he vanished

Back in 1987 there were no mobile phones, meaning Dot couldn’t contact Mark when he didn't come home on time.

“He was always good at letting me know where he was, so when it got to midnight I phoned the police,” says Dot, who now lives in Maghull with Mark’s step dad Dennis, 67.

It emerged that Mark and his girlfriend had argued after he found her with his best friend. Mark left in tears and was last seen walking to get a bus by the Jolly Miller pub, on Queens Drive.

Police worked on the case for three months, questioning everyone at Mark’s school, De La Salle in Croxteth, searching Walton park with tracker dogs and making an announcement on the Tannoy at Goodison - but there was no trace of Mark and no one came forward with information.
---
Before his disappearance, Mark had been doing well in school, was happy at home and had no reason to leave, insists Dot.
---
“On the night he disappeared, he had access to a large amount of money he’d collected for a school holiday to France, but he didn’t take a penny of it with him.
---
One thing that keeps Dot going is a letter she received, three years after Mark’s disappearance, from a man who said he was “90% sure” he’d seen him in Croyden.

“He said Mark was with another lad from Liverpool and they were looking for work,” says Dot.
---
“I keep thinking Mark’s probably married to someone by now and has kids of his own. He wanted to be a solicitor when he grew up. He’s quite clever - the school thought the world of him.”

Watch Liverpool mum's plea to find son missing for 30 years

2 DEC 2013
I pray I don't die before I know he's all right

The teenager had rowed with his girlfriend after going to see her and finding her with his best friend.

After the argument Mark left saying he was going to catch the bus for the three mile journey home to Bootle but was never seen again.
---
“I don’t know what has happened or why he went away. Mark apparently got upset. He was a lad who never showed his feelings, but he started crying. Maybe he just wanted to go away.
---
When Mark first went missing, Dot wouldn’t even leave the house for fear that he would return home and there would be nobody there for him.

Since then she has moved home – “the house was up for sale when Mark went” – and now lives in Walton.

I pray I don't die before I know he's all right

Links to reddit forums are not allowed on WS, hence I did not post a link here. But just put Mark's name and word reddit into google and it will pop up.
Thanks so much

Sounds like one of the unsolved cases that can be linked to Brian Field.
I checked out Brian field and he was jailed for four years the year before mark went missing. So we know it wasn’t him.
I would like more details on what happened at the girlfriends house and how do we know for sure he actually left there alive?
Those details could be the key to this case!

Back to the drawing board and here's someone it wouldn't do any harm to check his whereabouts.
Steven Heaney 36 was sentenced to life for the murders of 12 year old Robbie Gee and 13 year old Paul Barker in 1995 in Eastham. Where was he when Mark Garvey vanished, also the unsolved double murder of John Greenwood and Gary Miller in 1980 is not so far away. Heaney was also questioned about an unsolved sex attack and attempted murder of 2 boys fishing in Lytham in 1990

Back to the drawing board and here's someone it wouldn't do any harm to check his whereabouts.
Steven Heaney 36 was sentenced to life for the murders of 12 year old Robbie Gee and 13 year old Paul Barker in 1995 in Eastham. Where was he when Mark Garvey vanished, also the unsolved double murder of John Greenwood and Gary Miller in 1980 is not so far away. Heaney was also questioned about an unsolved sex attack and attempted murder of 2 boys fishing in Lytham in 1990

Heaney seems unlikely as he was a very disorganised impulsive offender who made no attempt to hide his victims - so it seems probable Mark would have been found had he fallen victim to Heaney.

Just amazing how people can disappear off the face of the earth without trace.
One minute going to his girlfriend's house, the next leaving in tears after he found her with another lad.
The worrying thing about the theory of him doing a runner is that he didn't go home and get the money saved up that he had access to. I know he was upset, but that would have been useful to someone running away.
If he is alive nowadays he must have seen or heard about himself on Missing sites.
Would be great to hear of him reunited with his family - and pictured at Goodison watching an Everton match....
If I had a superpower it would be to find out what happened to all the people who went missing over the years - but then so would everyone on here
I sometimes read these sad stories and think about what I was doing - and who I knocked about with - around the same time as these people disappeared

I suspect he never left the girlfriend's house JMOO

I suspect he never left the girlfriend's house JMOO

Yes, could well be the case, but it seems unlikely that his girlfriend and her new boyfriend would kill Mark. They were still school kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back