UK - Mary Flanagan, 16, London England, 31 Dec 1959

Discussion in 'Pre-1960's Missing' started by Richard, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Richard

Richard New Member

50 years ago...

------------------------------
    Mary Flanagan
    Missing since December 31, 1959 from Newham, East London, England, United Kingdom
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: circa 1943
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown wavy hair; hazel eyes. Olive complexion.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Flanagan was last seen in Newham, East London, England, United Kingdom on December 31, 1959.

In 1959 Mary was living with her family in Newham, East London. She was working as an assistant for a local firm. On the day she disappeared, Mary over slept but said she would go to work that afternoon. She left home at lunchtime. This was the last time she was seen. When Mary’s family contacted her employer, they found out she had not been to work for two weeks, despite leaving the house each morning as normal.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Missing People
    0500 700 700 (from the UK)
    +44 (0)20 8392 4545 (outside the UK)

Email: seensomeone@missingpeople.org.uk

Agency Case Number: dsid=298

Source Information:

Missing People
    The Doe Network: Case File 1140DFUK

2. Loading...

3. Debbie Miller

Debbie Miller New Member

That is interesting, so she was still living at the parents home and for those last two weeks acting as if she was going to work?

Sounds as if she may have run off with a boyfriend or something.

4. CastlesBurning

CastlesBurning New Member

I agree with Debbie -- because of the two weeks, I'd lean toward Mary's planning something herself. For that reason, I'm hopeful that she's still alive somewhere, just chose not to contact her family for whatever reason. Maybe she's afraid too much time has passed at this point.

5. theforgotten

theforgotten New Member

Yes, I also agree. I wonder if she was having personal issues at the time or maybe she was under a lot of stress and she felt the best solution was to run. Do we know if she had a boyfriend at the time? I really hope she is still alive and healthy.:twocents:

6. Laura_Bean

Laura_Bean New Member

What a flashback! This is the very first case I ever tried to work on. It went no where. I did searches, for everything I could think that did pertain or might have pertained, researched her name her family, etc. Found nothing. I still wonder what happened to Mary. I was thinking several things, perhaps she ran away with a man to get married? Perhaps she fell in love with an American and came to America with him that night? perhaps she was murdered by someone she was secretly seeing instead of going to work? And maybe she had decided she made more money doing something else than what she was doing, like if she became a prostitute and someone did something to her? I just don't know. It's a very odd thing. One thing I find suprising about this case also, is the fact that her employer never fired her nor did he come to her house when she did not show up for work? Which makes me think he may have had something to do with her disappearance... Like maybe the 2 were having an affair and she got pregnant? Or perhaps she demanded he leave his wife, or threatened to tell his wife? Etc? Back than I think it was pretty common for an employer to either call if the family had a phone or if not drop by and find out why his worker never showed up to work? He doesn't and he does not say welp she was fired and thats why she wasn't in. If he didn't lay her off or fire her for something, why didn't he investigate when she didn't even show up to work? Just some thoughts and some things I have been wondering about. I also talked to a fam. member at the time that told there was another fam. member who was crazy at the time, and that the fam. suspected he may have harmed her and hid her body, but it could never be proven and because he was fam. they never called the police to search for a body near his home. She refused to elaborate on who the family member was or why they suspected him. Anyways, I have some more in my folder of this case, and I would be more than willing to dust it off and see what I can find.

7. Laura_Bean

Laura_Bean New Member

Oh and I did come to a final conclusion, but I say it went nowhere because I tried to email several different places of my findings and none of them were valid emails, even the one on doenetwork.org. So, I had no place to turn to to show what I had come up with. Here is what I think became of her body.

Case File 316UFUK

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered in May 2006 in West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Estimated Date of Death: Many years ago, possibly during the 1950s
    Skull only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 17-21 years old
    Distinguishing Characteristics: The skull indicates that this person's face shape may have been slightly unusual, with her most prominent feature being protruding teeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
    The victim was located in West Midlands, UK in May 2006.

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    National Missing Persons Helpline
    0500 700 700
    Email
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
    06-006687
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    National Missing Persons Helpline

Return to the Unidentified Victims' Index

8. Boyz_Mum

Boyz_Mum New Member

Laura_Bean did you do searches on ancestry/genealogy sites also? (I'm sure you were very thorough, I'm just curious if you may have found relatives, etc...)

Your theory about the boss is interesting. This is the first I've read about the case. Thanks for your input.

9. Laura_Bean

Laura_Bean New Member

No that's okay. At the time I was just starting out to help on cases, so if anyone can help me to find a valid email address to send information to, I would more than welcome. I feel I didn't give Mary the amount of help her case deserved, but I guess you need to start somewhere, and learn from any mistakes made.

10. ctaylor

ctaylor New Member

A new appeal for Mary...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22727274

11. mikkismom

mikkismom Active Member

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Met Police: 1959 missing person appeal (met.police.uk)

13. Robin Hood

Robin Hood New Member

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...1959-believe-she-may-still-be-alive-1.1413849

McEntee or McGinty
    However Mary’s siblings are not sure if his surname was McGinty or something akin to that such as McEntee or McGuinness – the merchant navy has no record of his name and there is no record of a man of that name on the birth register in the UK.
    “We understand her father introduced him to her, so he did exist, it’s just his surname that’s a problem. We believe he was in his early twenties. I spoke to her brother and he is pretty sure the relationship was a genuine one. He was boyfriend or fiance.”

14. mikkismom

mikkismom Active Member

15. PFF

PFF New Member

In reagrd to message posted 12-30-2009
    Have left a message on Doe network guestbook asking if both cases are related

16. newham

newham New Member

We are still very much working on Mary's case here at Newham Police. If anyone has any information, or leads, or believes they can help us in any way then please get in touch! We have managed to rule out several lines of enquiry but are keen to hear from anyone with any ideas.

Thanks

PC Stephanie Gentile
    Metropolitan Police

17. Richard

Richard New Member

Thank you for your post and welcome to Websleuths. This case is 54 years old now, but it could still be solved.

18. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

It's good to know they are, at least, still interested in this case!

19. Veidt

Veidt New Member

I've found the contact info for the Newham Police Station (which the user 'newham' brings up): http://content.met.police.uk/Borough/Newham/Contact and there's an option to send them an e-mail.

I hope this helps.

20. newham

newham New Member

Or you can contact me directly at p229254@met.police.uk if you have any ideas or information from your own enquiries. I have recently managed to rule out the possibility of her going into the Thames, either by accident, murder or suicide, and we are still looking at a few lines of enquiry. Please do get in touch if you have any leads!

PC Stephanie Gentile
    Metropolitan Police

21. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Active Member

Waiting 56 years for my sister

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35121320