UK - Missing teen Jack Susianta who broke window left to drown?

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by zwiebel, Jul 31, 2015.

1. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

I'm putting this here because 17-year-old Jack Susianta's family in London, UK, reported that he'd smashed a window at the family home and fled, at the same time they reported him missing. It was a welfare call.

His death followed so quickly, his missing case never hit the media and really doesn't belong in our missing or located forum; the 'crime' that was committed wasn't, so it means it doesn't belong there, but the questions his tragic death is raising in the UK makes it really up to the minute.

I believe family reported Jack breaking the window at his home Wednesday just in order to stress to police how urgent the missing person's report was. Within an hour, police officers had located Jack but seemed to be treating his case as a pursuit of a criminal, rather than a search for a missing teen. Jack fled again, with 9 police in pursuit.

He ran into a canal and eyewitnesses say he struggled in the water for up to 30 minutes (reports vary) while police stood on the bank.

Everyone agrees it was a passing kayaker who came to the teen's aid first. An investigation into the conduct of the Metropolitan Police is to be held, by the police.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...investigation-over-teenager-who-died-in-canal

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jack-susianta-probe-launched-police-6168472

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-rebuts-claims-over-drowning-of-jack-susianta

4. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

He went into the water at 15.50, with, apparently 9 officers present.

Jack's body was recovered at 17.20.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-33713724

Attached Files:

5. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Attached Files:

6. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Attached Files:

7. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

If this is true - that 9 grown men stood by and watched him drown - it's utterly disgraceful. I am not a strong swimmer at all, but I'd certainly take my chances in still waters only a few metres from the bank. How could you not? I'm gobsmacked....

It is literally health and safety gone completely mad and will be the downfall of this nation. Makes me ashamed to be British sometimes.

Rant over. RIP kid.

8. AmyPond

AmyPond Well-Known Member

Wow. If that's truly what happened, I hope these people are punished or charged with something. So sad.

9. pinklilies

pinklilies Active Member

The 55-year-old added: “There was no one in the water helping him, that was the horrible thing about it. We watched him, a hundred or so people, going under and coming back up.”

Oh no, how could anybody stand and watch? Police, bystanders, whoever but I couldn't have stood and watched. You either go in, throw him something, find a big stick, run away even, anything but watch. That poor boy. I think I need a time out from here for a while, the stories I'm reading at the moment are just too sad.
    RIP Jack.

10. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was a psychotic break or a drug-induced reaction? How sad..

11. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Well-Known Member

12. Nova

Nova New Member

Be very careful if you do try. A drowning person often panics and grabs onto a rescuer, taking both of them to the bottom.

When I had lifeguard training in the last century, they recommended grabbing a flailing victim by the hair and pulling him/her to safety. Only if you are sure the victim is calm, do you attempt the traditional arm around the upper torso rescue.

This is by no means to defend the London police. With nine officers, they could have sent several into the water to rescue even the most terrified young man. The policemen just didn't want to get wet, IMO, or they were following idiotic rules.

13. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Good point, Nova!!

It being a waterway, surely there'd have been a life ring hanging up somewhere nearby? Was anything even thrown to try and help this lad? I'm not normally one to persecute the police in this age of litigation, but in this case I feel they were wrong to just stand by :(