UK UK - Neil Skinner, 72, last seen midday, camping close Loch Dochard, Scottish Highlands, 8 May 2022

"Did he walk off with someone he was chatting to and get disorientated and lost on his way back? He got lost the year before while holidaying on Skye with the same friends, Mountain Rescue had to be called out."

His friends left him knowing that he was prone to getting lost and was unwell? Crazy.

There are a surprisingly large number of lone walkers who go missing in the highlands, here are some:

It would help if lone walkers carried an emergency locator beacon if travelling in remote areas: Emergency locator beacon - Wikipedia

It would help if lone walkers carried an emergency locator beacon if travelling in remote areas: Emergency locator beacon - Wikipedia
Exactly. In addition, the current advanced IPhones (iPhone 14?) do have emergency satellite connectivity. In December 2022, a couple whose car plunged 300 ft into a rugged California canyon were rescued within 30 minutes by helicopter because the crash triggered the iPhone's crash alert system.

"Using technology that debuted barely a month ago, the phone had already realized there was a crash and that emergency services needed to be alerted. Despite its screen being cracked in the crash, the iPhone instructed Fields on how to contact first responders through Apple’s Emergency SOS via satellite.
According to an Apple press release announcing the introduction of the service in November, the “technology enables users to message with emergency services while outside of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage."

California couple survive car crash and 300-foot fall, rescued using iPhone

As time goes on, more cell phones will integrate this satellite technology and save lives. I have an older InReach personal locator beacon for mountain biking in areas with no cell service, but there is absolutely zero about this device that is "intuitive". It also costs (minimum) $20/month, although service can be suspended when it's not in use. I'll likely transition to this new device in the months ahead.

New Motorola Defy Satellite Link Turns Your Smartphone into a Satellite Communicator
The device plugs into your smartphone and costs about $100 (US Dollars) and $5/per month subscription. Should be available next month (April 2023).
Information from Motorola HERE.

Last edited:
Police are renewing their appeal for information to help trace Neil Skinner, 72, a year on since he was reported missing from the Bridge of Orchy area.

Neil was last seen around Sunday, 8 May, 2022 camping close to Loch Dochard.

He was reported missing to Police Scotland on Monday, 9 May, 2022.

He is described as 5ft 8in tall, with short white hair, a white goatee-type beard and wearing glasses. He was last seen wearing a green jacket and grey walking trousers.

Inspector Lee Page said: “Neil has now been missing for a year and we know what a difficult period this has been for his family and friends.

“Neil was last seen in the Loch Dochard area near Bridge of Orchy on Sunday, 8 May, 2022.

“Sadly, despite extensive police enquiries and searches by officers and our partners, he remains missing.

“We have kept in regular contact with his family during what has been an incredibly difficult time for them and we will continue to support them in any way we can.

“Any new information received will continue to be investigated fully and I would urge anyone with information on Neil’s whereabouts to contact police on 101, quoting reference 3773 of 9 May, 2022.”

Is the new search due to begin sometime this month? I was up there a few weeks ago and had a scour around the woodland on the south side of Loch Tulla but I doubt that he went that far.

Beneath The Surface are coming to help search this weekend

This weekend we are heading back up to Scotland again as part of a volunteer land search for Neil Skinner. We are being joined by a number of volunteers.

Neil Skinner has been missing just over a year whilst hiking and camping in the area of Loch Dochard in Bridge Of Orchy. Neil's tent and belongings were located set up by the loch but there was no sign of Neil and he hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Any experienced hikers who wish to join us for the weekend hiking and camping the area please let us know.

The more boots on the ground the greater the chance of locating Neil.

Let's bring Neil home

I find it peculiar the friends haven't been involved in searching, you would think they would be best placed to know what might have happened. They would know his habits and what attracted his attention on hikes.

Were absolutely all his belongings found? If there was something missing that might indicate which direction he went in, eg pocket knife, cup, binoculars? There's a Youtuber of a similar age, Patrick Dickinson, who films his hikes, maybe worth a look at his kit list?

Been reading this thread and the news reports, very strange case. Thinking if I was unwell, the only time I'd be leaving the tent would be to relieve myself. Are there wooded areas near the campsite he may have went into for this? Are they extensive that he may have become unsure of the way back out to the tent and wandered further in?

Last edited:
Been reading this thread and the news reports, very strange case. Thinking if I was unwell, the only time I'd be leaving the tent would be to relieve myself. Are there wooded areas near the campsite he may have went into for this? Are they extensive that he may have become unsure of the way back out to the tent and wandered further in?
No, it's pretty open, hilly terrain. He didn't take his poles with him, so I doubt he was planning much of a walk. Might have gone to fill his water container or take a photo of the sunset or something. Frustrating not to know exactly what equipment was missing from the tent with him.

ETA
Actually, looking at google maps, there is quite a bit of forest now... been a while since I was there!

My last comment was deleted due to having no link from 'an approved source'. The information came from a family member posting on this thread.

You need to include a link from an approved source, ie MSM or police (not social media platforms or personal pages) for every post that contains quotes or information, unless it is something you alone are speculating, then should say it is your opinion.

If a family member wants to become verified by WS they can post outside of above limits, but again anyone quoting them needs to link to the post where they have stated.

I think that's how it goes at least!

Last edited:
A grey sky covers Loch Dochard as Phil Jones prods around the water's edge with a builder's pole.

"I'm just hoping to see a green jacket wash up," he says.

The 35-year-old builder from Chorley, Lancashire, is searching for Neil Skinner, a hiker who went missing near Bridge of Orchy last year.

Phil never met Neil but is the leader of a voluntary underwater search and recovery team, Beneath the Surface. His team spend most of their weekends helping families look for missing loved ones.

Neil, 72, from Doncaster in South Yorkshire, was last seen in his green jacket on 8 May 2022. He was camping on a peninsula that reaches out on to the loch in Argyll and Bute.

He remains missing despite extensive searches. Police have urged anyone with information to get in touch.

[...]

No, it's pretty open, hilly terrain. He didn't take his poles with him, so I doubt he was planning much of a walk. Might have gone to fill his water container or take a photo of the sunset or something. Frustrating not to know exactly what equipment was missing from the tent with him.

ETA
Actually, looking at google maps, there is quite a bit of forest now... been a while since I was there!
google maps is likely quite dated as well. Has anyone posted a Google map location of the campsite?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back