Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this article from today's Independent, it is stated that NB was 'not wearing a headset at the time of her disappearance.' Does anybody have any idea/theories on that? Because she presumably would have needed one to listen in to that Teams meeting properly. If so, where did it end up?

I never wear a headset for zoom calls that I do on my phone. Just stick it on loud speaker. This is what NB did according to family. Can’t find media to prove this but I am sure it’s been discussed loads of times.

As per transcript of yesterday's presser Rebecca Smith was made SIO on Monday 30th January .
From the horses's mouth.

If i understood correctly the debate is about when she was appointed SIO.
Thank you very much. So Sup Det Rebecca Smith SIO was appointed on day 3. They obviously knew or felt it was going to be a big case?

Yes I was discussing with a friend yesterday why is this missing person case getting so much attention is wild - there is a pull I don’t know what it is.

The continuous criticism of LE

Huge number of Facebook groups set up in ‘assisting’ finding NB

The wild accusations and people travelling to the location.

Number of ex professionals of different seniority putting their 2 pence in

Number of friends who are spokespeople for the family, providing updates from the family, that are later incorrect.

The CH5 doc early doors - timing felt weird to me not for nefarious reasons just odd.
Just my musings.

Yes, a weird and largely unpleasant populist landscape.

Fast Learning for the police, if only in terms of new comms, engagement and expectation management required.

In reality, and in investigatory and operational terms, they’re probably on the right track and always have been.

North American Menopause Society
( thought I'd have a look at what the experts say and this phrase caught my eye. UK's official menopause orgs presumably operate on basis of the same medical research)

“window of vulnerability”

'Theories exist as to why women have double the rates of depression during this period. One theory is that there is a “window of vulnerability” such that some women are more sensitive to the hormone shifts that occur during perimenopause and puts them at greater risk for depression. In addition, women at greatest risk are those with a history of depressed mood earlier in life.'

What’s he saying?

I have updated my post after watching fully. Copied below:

Live on sky news now they have come across a witness that found the phone! They have stopped him and are speaking to him now.

Edited after watching fully.

** Context** - Two reporters are walking the route that Nicola would have taken, whilst doing so they have come across a witness.

A lady called Penny found the phone, harness, lead & willow initially and then called this older gentleman over.
He recognised the dog and saw the wallpaper on her phone.
He is sure on the exact time it was because he got a call from his wife so they went on that time.

Also worth noting he was an elderly gentleman but he didn't have a white fluffy dog with him as reported previously. It looked like a black springer / cocker type dog.

I never wear a headset for zoom calls that I do on my phone. Just stick it on loud speaker. This is what NB did according to family. Can’t find media to prove this but I am sure it’s been discussed loads of times.
Thank you - that's helpful. I was just thinking about it because in nearly all the photos I had seen of NB on her daily walks, she was wearing earbuds/headset.

Live on sky news now they have come across a witness that found the phone! They have stopped him and are speaking to him now.

Edited after watching fully.

** Context** - Two reporters are walking the route that Nicola would have taken, whilst doing so they have come across a witness.

A lady called Penny found the phone, harness, lead & willow initially and then called this older gentleman over.
He recognised the dog and saw the wallpaper on her phone.
He is sure on the exact time it was because he got a call from his wife so they went on that time.

Also worth noting he was an elderly gentleman but he didn't have a white fluffy dog with him as reported previously. It looked like either a springer / cocker type dog.

thanks for this Dowls, I wasn't watching Sky

Although it's very interesting, do WS-ers think there might be an issue now, with Sky's reporters putting this old man's interview on prime time ( considering what's already been happening on the ground w other witnesses ?)

Yes, a weird and largely unpleasant populist landscape.

Fast Learning for the police, if only in terms of new comms, engagement and expectation management required.

In reality, and in investigatory and operational terms, they’re probably on the right track and always have been.

I agree re the investigation it’s probably rather unremarkable to them

thanks for this Dowls, I wasn't watching Sky

Although it's very interesting, do WS-ers think there might be an issue now, with Sky's reporters putting this old man's interview on prime time ( considering what's already been happening on the ground w other witnesses ?)

I do think it was unfair how they kind of blocked the path so he would talk to them. Also naming the first witness and not only showing the gentleman's face they have now named him which I think is irresponsible.

People wouldn’t get much money selling a story that NB is an alcoholic/has problems with alcohol if it’s known already?
But we all know stories get embellished and with her personal information now exposed it adds weight to any story published. You can bet your bottom dollar anyone who has a tale they want to spin it will be far more salacious than simply NB is going through the menopause and necks a bottle a night

I do think it was unfair how they kind of blocked the path so he would talk to them. Also naming the first witness and not only showing the gentleman's face they have now named him which I think is irresponsible.

Do you know whereabouts it was Dowls? half an hour ago or further back at the link?
Here's the link for Skynews live ( Stupid me - I didn't switch it on)

I still believe what I've believed from day one - that it is a tragic accidental drowning. The recent revelations have only added to that belief, because given what we now know about NB's health, ie, that she perhaps was not as fit and healthy as she appeared to be in photos from last year, plus the last CCTV image of her looking quite frail IMO, lead me to think that if she had slipped, fallen and say, hit her head and rolled into the water, she might not have had the strength to get out again in time to survive. I absolutely don't think she would have left Willow running free and then walked off elsewhere to enter the water voluntarily. All MOO.
I agree. I still think this is a horrible accident as well.And I do not think Willow would have been left there the way she was by NB. I think NB would have left her in a better position and way to be found or somewhere safer. I think LE were out of order to release the information about NB's health issues to the extent they did. It was a massive invasion of privacy and feels invasive to me. Even if the family agreed to it. I don't know of any other case here in N.America where that has been done to such a level of description.

North American Menopause Society
( thought I'd have a look at what the experts say and this phrase caught my eye. UK's official menopause orgs presumably operate on basis of the same medical research)

“window of vulnerability”

'Theories exist as to why women have double the rates of depression during this period. One theory is that there is a “window of vulnerability” such that some women are more sensitive to the hormone shifts that occur during perimenopause and puts them at greater risk for depression. In addition, women at greatest risk are those with a history of depressed mood earlier in life.'

Can decompensate & lose coping mechanisms. So if you’re managing your depression, feeling good, busy, exercising. Then you start getting mood swings and brain fog, memory goes to pot and achy joints start, fatigue and then there’s the shame of not being able to manage as you used to. For some people it’s a lot esp during the perimenopause where things are fluctuating. Often can settle down once menopausal & not having periods anymore.
Often comes at a point where stress and tiredness are peaking anyway so lots of “self help” type things suggested for stress or treatment for MH alone without realising or tackling the root cause.

<modsnip - not victim friendly, off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I understand that. And I understand helping out with the 2 children as much as she can.

But to move in?

She needs to live there?

I find it bizarre. My own opinion only, of course. Others may differ.
I don't see anything wrong with it on the surface. However, because of the massive media coverage of this case, both good and bad, if it was me, there is no way I would actually stay there if a younger female relative.I would go over there or have the girls over to my place, especially in this case due to the tabloids, etc coverage!!! Even though I don't usually care about appearances, sometimes they DO matter for the sake of those involved having to read garbage in the media.

Last edited:
everybody is putting their oar in! ( Am not having a go at Lammy, just remarking on the sheer number of people willing to speak on this case now. Added 6 examples in my last few posts this morning )

Yes and they’re all saying the same and it’s annoying they are not adding anything either.

I honestly feel that Lancaster police and the family felt pushed to release this ‘information’ yes it’s not relevant, but I don’t think they’ve done it to justify what they’ve done. They’ve gone above any other missing person that is currently also missing in that area - they’ve not written NB off that is not the feeling I get. They’re not minimising her disappearance down to she’s menopausal and likes a drink as suggested. That’s the press with their vile reporting who are doing that. Posting pictures of NB with a glass of wine in her hand.

I believe Lancaster police released this information with an idea it was going to make it worse for them - why would they do that unless they were pushed to that point?

I sometimes wonder why NB didn't confide in her sister or Mum & Dad more. They seem reasonably close from the photos on Facebook (although who really knows). If she were having problems at home, could she not have gone to live with them temporarily?

I also find it a bit strange that NB's sister has moved into NB's house almost straight away "to look after the children" (although PA himself claims he is doing most of that) and the kids are at school for 6 hours a day.

That just seemed odd. To me anyway.

Yes, do help look after the kids, but to move in full-time 24/7...?!?

Maybe she did. Right from the beginning (and I'm happy to be wrong about this) her dad said that she was upbeat about getting her mortgage sorted (source 'Has somebody got her?': Distraught parents of missing mum Nicola Bulley vow to never stop looking ). I've wondered about that ever since. "Her mortgage" not "their mortgage". I assume (MOO) that he wasn't talking about any of her clients because that would be a breach of GDPR if NB had discussed clients (depending on a conversation that we obviously know nothing about). I would expect (again MOO) him to say "their mortgage" or maybe the house was not owned jointly? It could just have been a slip of the tongue. It would explain the meeting with her boss though if she had forms to sign relating to a new mortgage?

<modsnip - derogatory name changes not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know whereabouts it was Dowls? half an hour ago or further back at the link?
Here's the link for Skynews live ( Stupid me - I didn't switch it on)

It was round about 9:25 live

They have also just said that Ron wasn't concerned at first because he initially thought they may have gone off to go to the toilet in the bushes or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715