UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he suggesting that the day before P died, LL allegedly injected air into his NG tube/stomach before she finished her day shift... after allegedly killing Baby O?

Do we know what time she finished her shift on the day O died?

IMO
Yes she is alleged to have done that when she fed him 13 minutes after baby O died. The overnight staff took over with the problem, but they aspirated air and the problem had resolved by the next morning before the day shift, only to start up again when LL had him.

Yes she is alleged to have done that when she fed him 13 minutes after baby O died. The overnight staff took over with the problem, but they aspirated air and the problem had resolved by the next morning before the day shift, only to start up again when LL had him.

Ach allegedly already targeting triplet no.2 within minutes of his brother dying.

if guilty imo

Have we heard the testimony about this?

Typical management's tactics to shun negative publicity, avoid fuss at all costs and - God forbid - Police.

But "Ostrich policy" always fails.

Burying a head in the sand means a bottom sticks out and anybody can give it a good spanking.

The World belongs to the Brave :)

JMO

Last edited:
I wanted to put all these tweets from yesterday afternoon together :

Dan O'Donoghue

When proceedings resume, at around 10.30am, we'll be hearing from more senior consultants - who worked with Ms Letby and a number of medical experts, who'll be giving their view on the cause of death of Child P

Dr Stephen Brearey is now giving evidence about the death of Child P.

Dr Brearey said he carried out a review of the case, that highlighted 'some minor deficiencies in care but none of which would have effected the outcome of (Child P)'

The medic said the events of 24 June were 'horrific' and that they would have 'traumatised' even the most experienced members of staff

He said he would expect 99% of babies born at 33week gestation on fourth day of life to survive

Dr Brearey starts to make a broader point about the times at which the deaths had occurred in 2015 and 2016. Mr Myers raises objections, judge says broader conclusions can be made elsewhere in other means

We're now back after a short break for lunch. Dr Oliver Rackham is now in the witness box. He was part of the transport team from Arrowe Park Hospital (he was overseeing the transport of Child P to the hospital before his death)

Dr Rackham was on the neonatal transport team responsible (called Connect) in June 2016. He remembers being given a briefing on 24 June about Child P (he had suffered a number of desats that morning)

The medic tells the court that soon after he arrived at the Countess of Chester, at around 3pm, to transport Child P he collapsed and needed resuscitation. During the course of that resus he received seven doses of adrenaline - all to no effect

Dr Rackham said the medics 'had no explanation for why' Child P collapsed. Asked, with his experience, if he could give any reason for Child P's collapse, he said 'there was no obvious cause, it didn't fit with any obvious reason'

The medic said following Child P's death, there was a debrief on the unit. He said it was a chance for staff who work on resuscitation to 'make sure' that there was nothing missed. He said: 'We felt we had carried out resus well and in accordance with all appropriate guidelines'

Ben Myers KC has just invited Dr Rackham to give his view on adrenaline charts for Child P from that day. They show he received 16 bolus injections of adrenaline over the course of the day and was also given a slow infusion of the drug

From the numbers on the slow infusion chart, Mr Myers says this is 'significantly' higher than the dose that would be ideal - the doctor, with some caution, agrees

Mr Myers asks him to spell out what an excessive amount of adrenaline could do to a neonate - he says that it can cause increased heart rate, blood pressure and have an adverse effect on lactic acidosis

The judge seeks some clarification from the witness. He says that if Child P had been given excessive adrenaline, you would expect to see the effect within 10/15mins

Medical expert Dr Dewi Evans is now in the witness box, he was asked to review the baby deaths by Cheshire Police in 2017

Dr Evans said he was 'at a loss to explain how this baby had collapsed'.

He noted 'a lot of gas' in Child P's bowel from the evening before his death, he said it 'begs the question whether excess gas in the abdomen 8pm on night before, was the result of air being injected down his NG tube'

Dr Evans will be cross examined tomorrow. Wrap up of today’s evidence

I didn't realise that LL had been on clerical duties for 11 months. I'm surprised she tolerated it.
i don’t think she did. Formal grievance was quickly made by herself, 11 months of trying to get back on the unit. she also had little choice. That was her career and she was a registered nurse, she wouldn’t have been able to go elsewhere and if she hasn’t in her mind done anything she has to wait it out and then see what comes after.

I wanted to put all these tweets from yesterday afternoon together :

Dan O'Donoghue

Thank you for doing that @katydid23.

16 bolus doses of adrenaline, plus an adrenaline drip?! Sounds like serious cardiac dysfunction. Post-arrest? How many collapses that day? WTAF??

(edit - I'm not questioning the care, I'm imagining the situation that led to a baby needing all that and it's mind boggling.)

I hadn’t appreciated (before this trial) that resus rarely fails in neonates, (except, as you say, where a profound underlying problem exists).

If a perpetrator knows this fact, surely they would also know that suspicion would arise if resus attempts failed on different babies?

I think that the defendant allegedly did know that there would be suspicion if there was no underlying profound problem.
Which might be why the earliest victims were the fragile babies---were often very small, very premature or had underlying illnesses like haemophilia or needed insulin at birth.

Later on it seems like that changed, and babies that were 100 days old, and babies that were considered healthy and ready to be released, were also allegedly being attacked. Maybe she felt empowered because she was not being caught out for her alleged actions?

I’m under the impression that if any person’s hospital death could be regarded as suspicious, (not necessarily criminal), the staff should not usually rush to prepare the body, or remove anything from the body, (lest evidence be inadvertently tampered with). This is in case there is to be a post mortem.

Later on it seems like that changed, and babies that were 100 days old, and babies that were considered healthy and ready to be released, were also allegedly being attacked. Maybe she felt empowered because she was not being caught out for her alleged actions?
Allegedly...

It might mean losing touch with reality and compulsions overpowering the common sense.

A road with no return.

But who really knows?

JMO

Last edited:
The management were pushing to have LL brought back onto the unit?

I’m speechless. At the beginning of all this, I was questioning what kind of hospital would “move someone to day shifts” to see whether the deaths followed. I balked at it. But the reality is somehow turning out to be much worse, if that’s even possible.
I think the hospital admins were responding to the pressure from the Union reps, which would probably be threatening that if their employee was not returned to her prior job, there could be court action.

The union reps would probably be asserting that there was no proof of any wrong doing on her part, and she is demanding her job back and possibly some kind of compensation? She had filed a grievance and that has some teeth to it.

Last edited:
I'm still a bit surprised there was no such suggestion with Baby O.

ETA; interesting part here, seemed to be involved in cases that involved him.
I thought he was saying that he could only look at the cases where he was on duty---thus involved.

But later on, after conferring with other doctors, they also looked at who was caring for the babies that collapsed under their care---and LL allegedly came to their minds as well.JMO

"The paediatrician told Mr Myers:
'I'm not sure at what point we (as consultants) should have gone to the police. It's our duty to ensure the safety of babies and that's what we've done."

Thank you for doing that @katydid23.

16 bolus doses of adrenaline, plus an adrenaline drip?! Sounds like serious cardiac dysfunction. Post-arrest? How many collapses that day? WTAF??

(edit - I'm not questioning the care, I'm imagining the situation that led to a baby needing all that and it's mind boggling.)
I've got this in a timeline for baby P based off opening speech and electronic evidence

23 June

6pm - Dr Gibbs reviewed P because O had died in unusual circumstances. The abdomen was full, mildly distended, no tenderness and active bowel sounds (good signs). He was screened for infection.

6pm - P was fed donor expressed milk signed only by LL

LL records, for the family communication: 'Parents kept updated on events throughout the afternoon - were present for some of the resuscitation and maternal grandmother present for support. '...Time alone [for parents and O] given. Photographs taken on mobile. Aware of need to keep lines/ET Tube in at present. 'O taken to family room to be with parents. Cooling cot arranged' (electronic evidence)

7.30/8pm – night-shift handover

8pm - P was fed donor expressed milk – there was a 14ml milk acidic aspirate. An x-ray taken at 8pm showed striking gaseous distension throughout the stomach and whole bowel.

8.24pm – LL made nursing notes for P.

On that night-shift milk feeds were stopped on the grounds that a further large part-digested aspirate was drawn up the NGT at feeding time.

8.35pm – LL made retrospective nursing notes for O for 1.15pm and 4.19pm (mix electronic evidence and opening speech)

8.51pm - A nursing note recorded at 20:51 by LL is being shown to court. It summarises O's deterioration and what happened with parents after (being taken to family room to be with him) (electronic evidence)

Shortly after 8.51pm –
Doc: Are you okay?
LL: 'think so, just finishing my notes, can't wait to get home. How are you?'
Doc: Had a moment in the car, bit better now.
doctor asks her if she is going to vote in the Brexit referendum
LL: 'no can't face that'
LL: Just walking home. Parents very grateful for everything. Nice to have some fresh air.
Doc: Your notes must have taken a long time. Had you documented anything from this morning?
LL: Can’t think straight, so took a while.
Doc: Phew, not the first day back you were expecting. I was glad you were there, everything felt safe. Thank you for looking out for me.
LL: No, but it happens. Don’t need to thank me, I’m pleased you were there, think we work well together. Sorry for my loss of composure moment
Doc: I was trying to say thanks for checking I was okay. We do work well together I’m glad you could talk to me and I hope I helped.
LL: That’s okay, good to talk it through otherwise carry it round.
Doc: There are very few things that a hug can’t help fix.
LL: One of those days
Doc: Thank you for keeping me company again. Sleep well.
LL: Don’t be daft, it’s a two-way thing and what friends are for. You had me blubbering, night.
Doc: Oh no, how guilty do I feel. Goodnight.
LL: Guilty? I mean you had to see me blubbering at work.
Doc: Oops my mistake. I thought it had tipped you over on the end of a bad day. Blubbering at work is normal for someone who cares about the families and babies that they look after.
LL: No, no I’m fully composed. Thank you a good cry is what’s needed sometimes. Hope you sleep.
Doc: Goodnight

Time? To a nursing colleague, LL: 'Lost a triplet today, been *advertiser censored* x'
colleague: *** hell, what happened?
LL: blew up abdomen, think it’s sepsis. Went very suddenly. IO access and abdominal drain
Colleague: how many weeks?
LL: 33
Colleague: assuming they all seemed stable if had all three?
LL: yeah, were all fine. This one still on Optiflow but weaning and all fully fed 2 x 12.
Colleague: Jesus
LL: had big tummy overnight but just ballooned after lunch and went from there.
Coll: big hugs. Be treating all of them with anti-b’s then, or think just that one?
LL: yeah, other two been re-screened and gases etc just in case, as not really sure what caused collapse. I want to be in Ibiza ☹
Coll: 'I bet you don't want to go back in tomorrow'
LL: 'I do and I don't' think good to go back in and talk about it'
Nurse: 'Poor parents'
LL said O had died on the student's first day of a four-week placement. She adds who was on duty that day.
Nurse: 'Lots of consultants then. bloody tragic news. We don't have any luck with 33-34wkrs. Never seem b able to tell do u
LL: 'Awful. No, not a good gestation. deteriorate so quick'.
nurse: hope other two have an easy ride now for the parents’ sake.
LL: worry as identical.
LL said one colleague was upset about what had happened.
LL adds: 'Yeah worried she's missed something'
Nurse: 'Wow identical triplets! Didn't know that even happened'

LL messaged a nursing colleague to suggest a cause of death as sepsis or NEC. She told police she thought that at the time because 'it was a discussion they had all had' on the unit."

LL’s mother messaged LL saying it was sad what had happened on the first day back after LL's holiday.
LL: 'Yep it's just as well I love my job!'

The doctor messages LL to say the debrief didn't find anything that was missed for the events of O.

LL messages the doctor to say 'apparently' she had sounded bossy around the time of the baptism call for O.
The doctor says he would interpret it as being proactive.
LL says she has 'broad shoulders' and had apologised, saying it could have been interpreted as being overly direct.
The two agree it had been a stressful situation.

24 Jun 2016, Fri – LL’s day-shift – murder charge child P

After midnight –

1.25am - The pair wish each other goodnight (electronic evidence)

6.39am – A nurse recorded P’s abdomen was soft and non-distended. 25ml of air had been aspirated by one of the nurses and the NGT had been placed on free-drainage. The problem P had when LL handed over to the night-shift had resolved. (opening speech)

Morning - doctor messages LL again that morning asking how she slept and letting her know that a medical director has been on ward (electronic evidence)

Ahead of the shift doctor messaged LL: "Are you OK? It's rubbish not to sleep well in the middle of 3 long days. Hope your day goes OK."
LL:
"Hmm maybe. I'll be watching them both (Child P and the surviving triplet) like a hawk.

7.30/8am – LL’s day-shift. P’s designated nurse (and the third triplet) in room 2.

LL to doctor: "I'm OK. Just don't want to be here really. Hoping I may get the new admissions."
LL to doctor: “I might see if she (a student nurse) can work with someone else as don’t feel I’m in frame of mind to support her properly and paperwork to finish off”

8.30am -
Text messages LL sent to a doctor at just after 8.30am suggest she had sent, or was sending, her student with a baby who needed an MRI scan.

Approx. 9.30am - LL's nursing notes from later that night (9.18pm-10pm) recorded: "Written in retrospect...NG tube on free drainage - trace amount in tube. Abdomen full – loops visible, soft to touch … Reg...arrived to carry out ward round – P had apnoea, brady, desat with mottled appearance requiring facial oxygen and neopuff for approx. 1 min. Abdomen becoming distended. Decision made to carry out bloods and gas (approx. 09:30)”

9.35am - A registrar noted P, at 9.35am, had “desat + bradys” and had a moderately distended / bloated abdomen and slightly mottled skin.

9.50am - P had an acute deterioration. A crash call went out. P was intubated and improved, and efforts were made to transfer him to Arrowe Park Hospital

11.30am - P desaturated again at 11.30am. He was given adrenaline.
His spontaneous circulation improved but he continued to deteriorate through the day.

11.57am - A punctured lung was identified from an x-ray taken at 11.57am, treatment started at 12.40pm.

12.40pm – treatment for punctured lung started.

3pm - The transport team arrived at 3pm. Just before they arrived, P's blood gases were taken and were satisfactory. A doctor was hopeful of P's prospects. The court hears LL said to her something like "he’s not leaving here alive is he?"

3.14pm - P's final collapse came at 3.14pm and, despite resuscitative efforts, he died at 4pm.

“senior management were extremely reluctant to involve the police to discuss what had happened because we had to keep insisting the police be involved.”

WHY. What is their reason for being so reluctant, if they want her back on the ward and see nothing suspicious surely you’d just want her cleared or for the police to say ‘yeah nothing to see here’ and lay it all to rest and get a highly qualified nurse back on the ward. The parents in this case need answers for why the actual F this happened.

The parents certainly need and deserve answers.

So do we all. Any one of us could have helpless, dependent, very sick children or grandchildren in hospital.

We need to rely on senior management to react swiftly and effectively when allegations such as these are coming from highly experienced medical staff.

Even if the doctors were ultimately wrong, (nobody is infallible), it is still much better to have gone along earlier with their repeated exhortations to involve the police.

Consultants used to be extremely revered within a hospital setting.

This situation suggests almost a perverse delight in now not taking the consultants’ concerns seriously, and being ‘happy’ to take the consequences of going head to head with what a consultant wanted done.

What is at the root of this defiance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member