UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O'Donoghue

8m

I'm at Manchester Crown Court again today covering the murder trial of nurse Lucy Letby. We're expecting to hear from medical experts this morning in relation to Child F, who the Crown say was poisoned with insulin by Ms Letby in August 2015

Yvonne Griffiths, who is a neonatal unit manager at the Countess of Chester, is first in the witness box today. She's giving evidence on Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) bags and how they are stored at the hospital

The jury are being shown a photo of the treatment room at the Countess of Chester where medicines and kit was stored. Ms Griffiths is explaining that there was one set of keys for a refrigerator that stored controlled drugs

She says that there wasn't a system for accessing the fridge, if a nurse needed anything they would just ask for the key

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

The jury are being shown a photo of the treatment room at the Countess of Chester where medicines and kit was stored. Ms Griffiths is explaining that there was one set of keys for a refrigerator that stored controlled drugs

She says that there wasn't a system for accessing the fridge, if a nurse needed anything they would just ask for the key

Jury is now being shown images of the inside of the fridge, Ms Griffiths says insulin was stored in there

But what can be done to prevent such situations?

2 nurses attending each baby?
Cameras?
Psychological screening of staff?
Parents/family watching 24/7?

I really don't know.

Broken trust of the public is irreparable:(

Moo
I've been wondering if any new safeguards have been put in place in neonatal units throughout the country as a result of these events. I looked online but couldn't find anything.

Neonatal nurse Kate Bramall has just been in the witness box. She was on shift when a TPN bag was delivered to the unit for Child F.

She was asked if she had ever added anything to a bag.

'No, it's not something we do', she said.

Asked if she had ever added insulin to a bag, she said :'No never'

She explained insulin is administered through a separate syringe

Neonatal nurse Kate Bramall has just been in the witness box. She was on shift when a TPN bag was delivered to the unit for Child F. She was asked if she had ever added anything to a bag. 'No, it's not something we do', she said.

Asked if she had ever added insulin to a bag, she said :'No never'

She explained insulin is administered through a separate syringe
I really pity the staff in the witness box.
What a shame.
And trauma.
:(
Moo

Re BBM There might be. I don't think there'd be any evidence, or any evidence left that would be enough to prosecute IMO
There's already one case that was dismissed (or she was found not-guilty of? I can't remember exactly) because of lack of evidence.

Operation Hummingbird (into Lucy Letby’s alleged killings) has been extended to 2025 and they’ve taken on a new detective. They are actively looking into baby collapses and deaths before June 2015 to see if anything else suspicious happened. They’re also looking at a hospital in Liverpool, where she trained.

It is such a long and complex investigation that it had to start somewhere, and it wasn’t worth waiting to investigate more than a year of activity.

Going off the alarming rate of deaths at the hospital from June 2015 I would not be surprised to learn that there were other babies harmed re June 2015 that there just wasn’t enough evidence to charge with IMO.

It just seems unusual to me that someone would begin a ‘killing spree’ with so many deaths in quick succession. I’d be more inclined to think that there were atleast 1 or 2 other occasions prior to baby A (if not more) where the perpetrator harmed for the first time, and made the decision to do it again. Baby A-Q sound to me like someone who has begun to act more recklessly being unable to contain the ‘urge’ anymore IMO.

Someone harming babies in a nicu environment, where there are other nurses and doctors etc I’d more expect them to start with their first victim, and have a cooling off period of around a month while they processed what they’d done, waited long enough to see if anyone thought the death was suspicious and decided to do it again. When it comes to harming children, even some of the most cold and calculated individuals have a hard time accepting what they’ve done, I could imagine someone taking a little time to go over the incident in their head, relive it and realise they don’t feel the remorse or guilt they thought they would. Then when some time had passed with no suspicions voiced from colleagues or parents, thought they’d got away with it and decided to harm again IMO.

This isn’t some mad man out on the streets who satisfies their urge to kill with no one around. This is happening in a work environment, where someone spends most of their days/nights. Around colleagues, aswell as other parents. IMO there seem to have been too many babies allegedly harmed or killed in the month of June 2015 for that to be the start. It appears more like June is when this person became more brazen, wasn’t taking as many precautions as they were previously, just had an overwhelming desire to do harm, and wasn’t even thinking about how that amount of incidents in such a short space of time could raise questions.

This amount of alleged victims all in June just doesn’t resonate as being an offender’s first time, even the most naive individual could see how just the June 2015 incidents so close together would raise suspicion.. I honestly do not understand how they didn’t. IMO that should have been when colleagues started questioning if something nefarious was occurring on the unit.
All MOO of course.

I agree, if guilty, I think June 2015 represents the escalation period of a serial killer, when they become over-confident and sloppy, and when they need more and more stimulation to get the buzz.

IMO this sort of serial killer would start with one or two attacks here and there, spread over a much longer period of time, experimenting and testing their ability to get away with it, until they get their confidence up and lose their inhibitions. I think if guilty she would have also practiced with assaults and risking babies’ lives rather than beginning with an outright murder attempt.

Another nurse, Cheryl Cuthbertson-Taylor, has just been asked the same questions. Again she told the court she had never added anything to a TPN bag

Another nurse, Valerie Thomas, is in the witness box and is again being asked the same questions. She says she has never administered a TPN bag to a child or added anything to a bag

A statement from Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Simon Wood is now being read to the court. He helped to carry out the C-Section on the mother of Child E and F. He said the twins were 'born in good condition'

Expert medical witness Dr Dewi Evans returns to the witness box. He was asked to review the case by Cheshire Police and produced a number of reports on the events at the Countess of Chester

Operation Hummingbird (into Lucy Letby’s alleged killings) has been extended to 2025 and they’ve taken on a new detective. They are actively looking into baby collapses and deaths before June 2015 to see if anything else suspicious happened. They’re also looking at a hospital in Liverpool, where she trained.

It is such a long and complex investigation that it had to start somewhere, and it wasn’t worth waiting to investigate more than a year of activity.
Where did you see all this squish?

Where did you see all this squish?

They were advertising for a DCI for the operation in June still and it says "The successful candidate will be recruited directly into the investigation for an initial 3 year period and upon conclusion of the investigation will then be subject to redeployment within Cheshire."

So I think that would take the investigation into 2025

They were advertising for a DCI for the operation in June still and it says "The successful candidate will be recruited directly into the investigation for an initial 3 year period and upon conclusion of the investigation will then be subject to redeployment within Cheshire."

So I think that would take the investigation into 2025
Thank you LadyEdgeworth.

I'm not seeing anything about Liverpool, but I know they were looking there as part of their original investigation.

I can't see how to copy a comment from the previous post but Sundial mentioned about how the first reported incident came just after Dr Jayaram's first TV show was aired. I'd never heard of the show before (Born naughty) but out of curiosity, I googled the first episode. This was about a schoolchild who had made threats to kill other pupils. None of the other episodes seem to relate to killing, so I thought this was interesting, though possibly irrelevant.

Summary
Honey, who is nine, has been permanently excluded from school after threatening to kill other pupils. Six-year-old Theo has violent tantrums at the slightest thing.
I wasn’t aware of that, I don’t know anything about the programme (although I assumed being naughty etc as in the title), but how ironic and interesting that first episode was about the very nature she is being charged with and started only a month after that show aired. MOO

Dr Evans said there was 'only one explanation' for the 'astonishing' levels of insulin found in Child F's blood. 'These were very, very striking results. There's only one explanation for this, (Child F) had received insulin from some outside source', he said.

Dr Evans said he had concluded the drug had most likely been added to the baby's Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) bag, which is used to intravenously provide feeds to infants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk