Uk Police Send“osman Warnings”or“threat-to-life” Notices To People In Danger.

dotr

Reaction score
June 5 2018
Be terrified if you ever get sent this letter
"‘You’re a murder target’ — This is the worst mail anyone could ever receive
IF YOU get this letter in the mail, you should be seriously worried. Because it’s almost the worst thing you could read."

“YOUR life is in immediate danger.”

There are few things that could cause terror in someone as much as being informed their life was in grave danger because someone wants them dead.

But that is exactly the warning an increasing number of British people are receiving by their local police force, as a crime wave in some parts of the country has seen big increases in knife and violent crime.

The so-called “Osman warnings” or “threat-to-life” notices are sent to people that police have reason to believe are in danger of being killed — usually by someone known to them."
"The warnings were linked to cases where police have intelligence to suggest a person is in danger, but don’t have enough evidence to make an arrest. So they do the next best thing and warn them".
"It advises the receiver to think carefully about who they associate with in the coming days; “who you may, or may not, consider to be your friends”, before reassuring them police could help take “active steps” in protecting them and urged them to help investigators."

'Dear sir, someone wants to kill you': Police send hundreds of warning letters

“Incidents in which Osman warnings have been issued to make an individual aware of the threat against them are constantly assessed, with victims supported through a variety of channels from crime prevention advice to witness protection depending on the circumstances of the incident.”

The National Police Chiefs Council, formerly the Association of Chief Police Officers, explained the missives were sent when “a credible threat” to life was made.

“They will say you may be in danger and offer advice on security and that sort of thing,” a spokesman said.

“It could happen if someone has been picked up as a stalker or if intelligence against a stalker has resulted in the belief that an individual may harm another individual.”

'Threat victims should be fully supported'
Threat victims can then choose to “pursue the matter further with the police.”

“I don’t think there is a strict wording,” the spokesman said.

“I would say most forces would give advice on personal security but whether they put someone on the door would depend on the nature of the threat.”

Campaign group Mothers Against Murder and Aggression insisted more could be done to help those who receive the life-changing letters.

“Osman warnings provide valuable information to people who are at great risk of harm,” chairman Amanda Everit said.

Sadly because of all we have seen and heard ...I walk around daily thinking someone wants to take me out , I'm already on on high alert , it wouldn't make me nervous at all, it would just validate for me :)

WTAF? Really? Is this like preventative policing? (like preventative maintenance?) To have the time and resources to facilitate this massive undertaking? Impressive for sure, maybe even enviable... but I don't see how this could ever work in the states. Too busy solving/working crimes that have already occurred...

And I bet an argument could be made that this borders on "guilty until proven innocent..."

Very interesting nonetheless. Thanks for posting!

My question to this is where did the police get this information from? People share full names, so sending a letter to 'John Smith' who lives in that particular street is very specific. Also, giving the fact that they send letters means that it would take some time before they arrive, and given that the News sites have published blank examples, I'd say it would be fairly easy for someone to make a copy of it and send it to random people in order to manipulate them, even harass them.

@robertmarilyn I agree that a phone call would be more timely. Though I think the best option would be to directly send uniformed officers to the individual's residence.

June 2 2018
"Osman warnings were introduced after Ali Osman, a London businessman, was shot dead in east London in 1988 by a teacher from his son’s school.

His family successfully argued in the European Court of Human Rights that the Met had breached Mr Osman’s right to life by not acting on information it had that showed Paul Paget-Lewis posed a serious threat to Mr Osman.

Paget-Lewis also shot Mr Osman’s son, Ahmet, after becoming obsessed with him while working at his school. The gunman was convicted of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Since that case police have a duty of care to issue warnings if they believe someone’s life is in peril.

These latests statistics show a marked increased compared to previous years. In 2015, analysis of threat to life warnings showed that 2,000 were issued over a four year period across the country.

The prospect that that figure is now closing in on 1,000 in a single year, with London alone seeing nearly 500 warnings, illustrates the extent to which violence is becoming worryingly commonplace."
The number of people told their lives are under threat grows, new figures show

Possibly, although I think sometimes they have informants or undercover police officers (or covert surveillance of one kind or another from unrelated investigations).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back