UK - "Promising athlete" spared jail for raping child

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Perodicticus potto, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Perodicticus potto

Perodicticus potto Member

Last month Adam Hulin, a 19-year-old middle-distance runner from Headley in Surrey, pleaded guilty to oral rape and assault by penetration on a 12-year-old girl:

Last Wednesday, the judge spared him a jail term:

Since the hearing, Hulin has taken to online comment sections (including the comments on the article linked above) and to his Facebook and Twitter accounts to smear the reputation of his victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and justify his actions:

Following a public outcry, the Attorney General has announced a review of Hulin's sentence.

(Mods, please snip if I've quoted too much. I just wanted to convey the full horror.)

2. Loading...

3. BritsKate

BritsKate Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderf

This is infuriating! There has to be common sense in our courtrooms...but in lieu of that, why is the sentencing for sexual assault of a child left to a judge's discretion anyway? Why is there no mandatory minimum sentence for so serious a crime? I'd like to see further legislation enacted too when a victim is disparaged, especially publicly, by their alleged attacker. We have laws protecting defendants from public commentary to ensure their right to a fair trial but victims are left to fend for themselves.

I really hope this judge is investigated and removed from the bench.

4. Perodicticus potto

Perodicticus potto Member

5. Salem

Salem Former Member

Well I guess I agree he as a promising future and career ahead of him - as a pedophile! What the heck?

Sad, sad, sad :(

Salem

6. sindydee

sindydee Member

It's getting worse here. No one seems to get sent to prison. When they do it's for such a ridiculous period they may as well have not bothered. What about the victims? What about other people they could be a danger to? No one seems to care. Are the prisons full? What's going on?