Found Deceased UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm.
Mother's 'nightmare' over missing student Richard Okorogheye
''His mother said he had never mentioned Loughton or Epping Forest to her. He was regularly on PlayStation and it was possible he may have planned to met someone from that area he knew online. She implored anyone from his online community of friends who might know anything to contact police.

While initially she felt police had been slow to treat his disappearance seriously, she said she was grateful to officers who were working “very hard, every day, with the focus on finding Richard”.

“He was a happy child. I’ve looked back, reflected back, but there’s nothing to obviously show that Richard was unhappy,” she said.''

''A keen basketball player, she said: “He’s six foot and I think he will probably get taller.” He was generous with his time, and academic, she added, saying he often helped out friends with maths and English studies.''

''Joel, who used to run a nursery, is well known in the local community, which has rallied to support her. “The support has been overwhelming, and a huge comfort” she said. Well-wishers from her local church and from as far afield as Nigeria, the US and Canada had offered Easter prayers for his safe return.''
I find it strange his mum using the past tense. 'he was a happy child'...

All JMO/MOO.

I've read the NCA handbook which profiles a bunch of different missing persons categories (depressed, children 14-17, bipolar, genetic condition, etc.), and I felt 'depressed' the most relevant category for RO.

According to the NCA profilers then, would RO have gone to Epping Forest to kill himself if he were depressed?

"(redacted) showed many depressed people may go to isolated areas to have space or contemplate their lives. These may be favoured spaces which reflect happier times for that person e.g. somewhere from childhood days or where family holidays were spent."

RO has no familial or "happy times" connection to Epping.

It goes on to explain the stats on where depressed missing males are found when found alive.

"Woodland - 1%".

For "successful" suicides of missing males however, 28% (the largest group) were found dead in woodlands, and all had used hanging as a means of suicide. If this were the case with RO then those incredibly clever dogs and helicopters would have found him by now.

At the beginning I thought suicide was an option but the fact that RO has no "happy times" connection to Epping, and that only 1% of depressed males end up being found in the woodland, means that this country's best profilers would find it an unlikely scenario.

JMO/MOO

Last edited:
Quite a few things for gaming in/around Epping Forest when I searched, but if they are venues would they be closed and the time it was they prob would be anyway!? So little info to go on IMO

I wonder how long the police looked at that CCTV for after they spotted him? Seeing how he turned around to make sure the cab was driving off, did he just go a little further to make it appear like he was heading down Smarts Lane, and then backtrack to where he was really going? Just a thought.

Seeing how he turned around to make sure the cab was driving off, did he just go a little further to make it appear like he was heading down Smarts Lane, and then backtrack to where he was really going?
I like the idea and thought if it myself, although where else was there to go, apart from a few houses or different areas of the forest?

If he wanted to get dropped in the High Street, that would be less of a strange location, less specific and also quite anonymous, as he could then walk to anywhere....but it wasn't in the plan, as he knew there'd be CCTV on shops and buildings.
He obviously wanted to avoid CCTV and it's only pure chance that this pub where he was dropped off had a camera and it was working, despite the fact they were shut for covid lockdown.

Had it not been for this CCTV, then we'd only have the driver's witness account. Although I haven't heard anything about that yet....have they identified the driver? I presume they have from other CCTV in the area and traced the number plate.

I guess the police are keeping some things close to their chest, but a few more details like what the converstation between Richard and the driver was, if any. It may provide further clues to the public.

Anyone looking at Twitter in last half hour? A new *possible* sighting police have acted on in Tottenham Marshes this afternoon.

Tottenham Marshes isn’t far from Loughton either. 11 miles or so, a 15 minute drive. Even closer if you’re getting there from the south west corner of Epping Forest.

I would love to believe it’s him. Come on Richard lad, get in touch with police. Whatever it is that’s causing you distress can be fixed.

Tottenham Marshes isn’t far from Loughton either. 11 miles or so, a 15 minute drive. Even closer if you’re getting there from the south west corner of Epping Forest.

I would love to believe it’s him. Come on Richard lad, get in touch with police. Whatever it is that’s causing you distress can be fixed.

Could be following the path of the River Lea. I too would like to think him.

I am wondering whether he may have had a breakdown, especially as his mother had said he had latterly been down on his hygiene, which suggests worry and depression. He may have got to a point where it all felt too much - lockdown, his studies, his health - and he just wanted to get right away from it all.

I also take lightly he had no money. Again this is only from his mother's side, and it is likely he had savings she knew nothing of. He may also have bought pay as you go mobile SIMs if he had been planning this in the days beforehand.

I wonder why, these people who have claimed sightings, don't take a picture? It may be blurred if walking away, but at least would add credence.

Could be following the path of the River Lea. I too would like to think him.

I am wondering whether he may have had a breakdown, especially as his mother had said he had latterly been down on his hygiene, which suggests worry and depression. He may have got to a point where it all felt too much - lockdown, his studies, his health - and he just wanted to get right away from it all.

I also take lightly he had no money. Again this is only from his mother's side, and it is likely he had savings she knew nothing of. He may also have bought pay as you go mobile SIMs if he had been planning this in the days beforehand.

I wonder why, these people who have claimed sightings, don't take a picture? It may be blurred if walking away, but at least would add credence.

Yes, leaving a bank card at home doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t have access to money. Also agree on the hygiene and withdrawal point - classic depression symptom and might make sense that he’s having a significant episode. What I don’t understand is how running away from home and hiding is something he’d see as a better alternative right now. We don’t know what he’s going through, of course.

When you’re struggling like he seems to be and feeling very isolated, a relationship breakdown or betrayal of some sort might be more than enough to tip you over the edge. I feel for teens and young adults these days. They’re hyperconnected 24/7 but with much less in the way of real meaningful human interactions you can probably end up quickly feeling very lonely. The pandemic has only exacerbated all of that.

I have become particularly interested in Richards safe return after remembering being told Epping Forest is a very active spot for dogging, much to the dismay of the Met.

Having searched for related websites there really does appear to be a very active and large community “participating” there, of both straight and LGBTQ people. Many disturbingly misogynyistic forum posts appear upon a Google search.

Directions to many of the car parks in the first were listed as spots but one that stood out was,

“The large Wood Yard, close to the Wake Arms roundabout”

As in a timber yard or a building/construction site/yard? Isn’t this close to where Richard was spotted/sighted?

Also, if there is a chance Richard is perhaps not of sound mind at present but is able to access these forums and see these posts, what would members want to say to him? How can he be assured of his safety and his future?

I will say a prayer for Richard tonight. God bless

Last edited:
Directions to many of the car parks in the first were listed as spots but one that stood out was,

“The large Wood Yard, close to the Wake Arms roundabout”

As in a timber yard or a building/construction site/yard? Isn’t this close to where Richard was spotted/sighted?

Yes, it's easy walking distance. But it's a fast, unlit, no pavement road, where there have been a number of serious accidents involving pedestrians struck by cars (someone linked a fatal hit and run of two young women earlier in the thread).

That of course doesn't mean he didn't walk along the road

But IMO its's really hard to work out if he was likely to because we don't know why he was there (and where he went)

- what was he doing between leaving the house and getting in the taxi
- how did police find the driver - via his uber (or similar) account?
- if he was walking away from old life, does this mean that he's now dumped second phone? Huge amount of planning to get the new tech. Also what's he doing for money?
- if he was meeting someone, who and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288