Found Deceased UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I showed it to my daughter who said 'It looks like a takeaway bag - like he's eating something - that's not his side bag. And he's glancing backwards before crossing the road'.

yeah it’s definitely a bag seperate to the Adidas one (you can clearly see the white branding of his crossbody bag whilst his holding the other bag in one of the pictures). My local newsagents & off license both use black carrier bags like that they’re smaller than the average plastic bag but usually a little thicker/stronger. Plenty of small shops would of been open in the area he was in before getting in the taxi but you’d hope they’d now be asking all of them for cctv to atleast see what he purchased

It looks like he’s eating chips or something out of the bag to me. Makes sense as he hadnt eaten at home.

I don’t think he’s looking to cross the road. The road is behind him. I think he’s looking at something.

She's a sleuther in the making! Very good obs.
She's a born sleuther, that one. And I'll pass on your comments, thanks :)
I'm wondering if RO's parents are together and if not, where his dad lives and if it could be in Loughton.
If he IS eating, there are a few takeaways near there... but Nandos seems to close quite early, but there's a KFC, although it closes at 11pm. They do love their chicken these kids and I know it would cheer us all up to think he was having some crispy fried wings, not heading to the forest in a complete state of misery.

Yep, I think it's one of those little black plastic bags with handles, not a brown paper bag from a takeway. And I agree, I don't think his backwards glance is to do with crossing a road. I don't think he's got a knife in that bag. I think he's eating something. Well, I hope so anyway.

Spiderplant said:
While it is hard not to think the worst I do wonder about him conscientiously wearing a mask in all the CCTV so far. Would you do that if you plan to harm yourself?

I think the mask actually provides more anonymity and you stand out less by wearing a face covering.
Plus he would have had limited options if he was using public transport-

But I appreciate given his medicinal condition it could appear to be a contentious decision. JMO

From what has been released so far (I'm sure police have loads more detail) nothing indicates he was trying to evade detection here. He was tracked almost completely even from the few details police have released. I just hope this isn't a self harm case or even worse something like online encouragement/instruction while cooped up in a flat for a year...

Another thought I've had (with my sleuthing cap on!) is this latest CCTV in Loughton might be a tactical release by police if they have their eye on anyone else? See if the release makes someone make a move?

He might have got a bus and then a taxi from the rank to make sure he wasn’t traced too quickly.

It’s interesting that he was near Paddington as HKP said that’s where the trains to Oxford go from. I know most students are currently paying for student accommodation at the moment even though they can’t live there, so it’s very possible he’s got a room there too.

(When university went back in September they all moved into their student accommodation and then had to return home, although the accommodations wouldn’t cancel the contract so most are still paying for them while not living there.)

I so hope he’s okay, the forest fills me with dread. He could have just picked a random street near the edge of it to get a taxi to, so as not to alert the driver that he might be having dark thoughts.

JMO

He is a first year student and would typically be staying in halls.
He is studying from home atm with virtual lectures - I believe I read that in an article linked a few pages back.
I doubt he has a room in Oxford or is in halls, taking into consideration that he is extremely clinically vulnerable re Covid.

Last edited:
First time poster here, so hopefully don't misstep re: any of the forum rules.

I followed along on here from the beginning of the Sarah Everard case (her disappearance was dreadfully sad and really hit home as a female Londoner, same age, same industry). And now this very worrying disappearance; for me another personal overlap having grown up just mins. from Smarts Lane.

Firstly as someone who regularly gets cabs to this area from London, a trip from Paddington area would be v. expensive even for me as an adult professional. I certainly wouldn't get a black taxi (too ££) and would only do it if public transport wasn't an option. If I *had* to it would be an Uber (which would require his mobile so we can probably eliminate that given the time he is seen in the area and when his phone went off). In the past when I was younger and had less disposable income however, I would often get minicabs (sometimes *shudders* unlicensed) to save money. Could be a possibility? And might fit the narrative that he paid in cash. Possibly saving money ahead of time with the express intention to head out to Epping Forest for a reason I think we're all hoping isn't the outcome? JMO.

In terms of drop-off, Smarts Lane leads on directly from the High Street, opposite a big M&S shop, and that itself is one of the first things you come across on the way into Loughton from the either direction you'd approach from West London - either via A406 or M11. If the A406, I know there is an active speed camera at the top of Spring Grove which could have caught his vehicle coming into town.

Smarts Lane itself is a place where you might hop out the car. It's where the first pub on the High St. is and the road is the first real turn-off into Epping Forest before you get to the High St. proper. If he were to continue up that Smarts Lane and past the The Victorian Tavern pub where CCTV captured him, he'd end up on Earls Path and into the forest. There's nowhere else to go really apart from a few other v. quiet backstreets. It's a weird place to walk esp. at that hour because it's just residential streets, then pretty abruptly turns into a very fast road cutting through the forest.

Once up on Earl's Path you'd have to walk directly into the forest or at least on the grass verge as the road becomes what is either a 60mph road (or even if it isn't, locals drive very fast along here). Looks to me like he's headed for the forest for whatever reason, and with intent. Hopefully he'd be spotted by cars (even on a quiet night it's a pretty busy road out of Loughton and onto the Epping New Road thoroughfare which cuts through the forest and onto the M25). Also worth noting that if he doesn't cut straight into the forest and continues up Earls Path even further soon he'd get to a small car park. It's popular with walkers and that is where you could join actual footpaths into the forest. Not usually active at night, but could be a location where someone is parked?

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully sheds some light onto the area. MOO.
Hoping he's found safe, and soon.

First time poster here, so hopefully don't misstep re: any of the forum rules.

I followed along on here from the beginning of the Sarah Everard case (her disappearance was dreadfully sad and really hit home as a female Londoner, same age, same industry). And now this very worrying disappearance; for me another personal overlap having grown up just mins. from Smarts Lane.

Firstly as someone who regularly gets cabs to this area from London, a trip from Paddington area would be v. expensive even for me as an adult professional. I certainly wouldn't get a black taxi (too ££) and would only do it if public transport wasn't an option. If I *had* to it would be an Uber (which would require his mobile so we can probably eliminate that given the time he is seen in the area and when his phone went off). In the past when I was younger and had less disposable income however, I would often get minicabs (sometimes *shudders* unlicensed) to save money. Could be a possibility? And might fit the narrative that he paid in cash. Possibly saving money ahead of time with the express intention to head out to Epping Forest for a reason I think we're all hoping isn't the outcome? JMO.

In terms of drop-off, Smarts Lane leads on directly from the High Street, opposite a big M&S shop, and that itself is one of the first things you come across on the way into Loughton from the either direction you'd approach from West London - either via A406 or M11. If the A406, I know there is an active speed camera at the top of Spring Grove which could have caught his vehicle coming into town.

Smarts Lane itself is a place where you might hop out the car. It's where the first pub on the High St. is and the road is the first real turn-off into Epping Forest before you get to the High St. proper. If he were to continue up that Smarts Lane and past the The Victorian Tavern pub where CCTV captured him, he'd end up on Earls Path and into the forest. There's nowhere else to go really apart from a few other v. quiet backstreets. It's a weird place to walk esp. at that hour because it's just residential streets, then pretty abruptly turns into a very fast road cutting through the forest.

Once up on Earl's Path you'd have to walk directly into the forest or at least on the grass verge as the road becomes what is either a 60mph road (or even if it isn't, locals drive very fast along here). Looks to me like he's headed for the forest for whatever reason, and with intent. Hopefully he'd be spotted by cars (even on a quiet night it's a pretty busy road out of Loughton and onto the Epping New Road thoroughfare which cuts through the forest and onto the M25). Also worth noting that if he doesn't cut straight into the forest and continues up Earls Path even further soon he'd get to a small car park. It's popular with walkers and that is where you could join actual footpaths into the forest. Not usually active at night, but could be a location where someone is parked?

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully sheds some light onto the area. MOO.
Hoping he's found safe, and soon.
Thank you for this really detailed and interesting local knowledge JnxT

This perspective is bang on the money. Have there been any reports of RO having connections to Loughton/Epping Forest? Because this feels to me like he's familiar with this journey. I wonder if he went to meet a different friend after stopping at the first residential address.

He is a first year student and would typically be staying in halls.
He is studying from home atm with virtual lectures - I believe I read that in an article linked a few pages back.
I doubt he has a room in Oxford or is in halls, taking into consideration that he is extremely clinically vulnerable re Covud.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. In September they all went to uni on the promise it would be safe, so nearly all first years took out a contract in halls. These are for the entire first year. They still have these, as the halls are not refunding or allowing them to break the contract, but most are now living at home. My son has just paid another £2000 for his room that he can’t use and hasn’t been in since early December. They’re all in the same position. He still has the key to his room and is returning soon. Students I know of at Oxford Brookes still have rooms in halls, just most are empty. If he had one he could have been contemplating returning

JMO

Sorry I wasn’t clear. In September they all went to uni on the promise it would be safe, so nearly all first years took out a contract in halls. These are for the entire first year. They still have these, as the halls are not refunding or allowing them to break the contract, but most are now living at home. My son has just paid another £2000 for his room that he can’t use and hasn’t been in since early December. They’re all in the same position. He still has the key to his room and is returning soon. Students I know of at Oxford Brookes still have rooms in halls, just most are empty. If he had one he could have been contemplating returning

JMO

I don't know if RO has actually attended Uni in person though. He's been shielding since last March.

Richard Okorogheye: Missing student has chronic condition and was 'struggling to cope' with shielding, mum says

I saw on another forum that parts of Epping Forest (although I know its very large) are popular cruising locations - an article on the news website Essex Live also mentioned this in 2019 when I searched further. This is probably not relevant and I am not suggesting that is why RO was heading there at all, but thought it was worth mentioning as it could mean there were other individuals in the forest at night. I am not familiar with the area at all so JMO, I am also new to this site (I came across it during the SE case) - so I hope I am not breaking any forum rules, please let me know if I am!

I really hope he is found safe and well - his poor mother must be absolutely beside herself.

I did think this when I mentioned the small forest car park you come across on Earls Path. It's v. typical of the 'dogging' parking areas in the area that have had this kind of activity.

The alleged sighting of RO near Robin Hood roundabout also fits with his moving in the continued direction up Earls Path. Of possible note, if you take one of the turnings off the roundabout you soon come to a small forest cafe serving coffee, bacon carnies very cheaply. Very popular stop off with a lot of bikers, Hells Angels etc. If he's possibly sighted 9-10am in this area, could be a place to pick up a quick, cheap breakfast that would only cost a quid or two. JMO.

I don't know if RO has actually attended Uni in person though. He's been shielding since last March.

Richard Okorogheye: Missing student has chronic condition and was 'struggling to cope' with shielding, mum says

JMO but it's also a weird journey to take if you're heading to halls for that uni. If he was paying cash for taxi journeys then he'd have to have a lot on him - Epping Forest is totally the other direction. He also wouldn't have anything moved into the room even if he had paid for it. And I hate to say it, but it's easy for residential officers to nip into a room to check on the resident.

I showed it to my daughter who said 'It looks like a takeaway bag - like he's eating something - that's not his side bag. And he's glancing backwards before crossing the road'.

Not a lot of late-night takeaway joints in this part of Loughton. There's a chippy on the corner of Smarts Lane and an off license on a small parade of shops opposite but have checked and both shut latest 9:30 and 11:00pm.

Also thought worth mentioning, another reason you might end the journey at Smarts Lane is that there's an HSBC ATM a few shops down. If he was getting cash out? I guess would only be relevant if he did have another account since he didn't have his known card on him.

Different person reporting this, but might tie in with a makeshift shelter as seen by the other person. Will have to remove this I know so read quickly. Pray god it is for once true.

I won't link as I understand social media isn't allowed, but the area where someone located a makeshift tent/shelter in the forest would fit exactly with him being seen heading up towards Earl Path from Smarts Lane and also the above sighting of him heading back down from the Robin Hood roundabout to the forestry office (which I think is what they're referring to as 'Epping Forest yard'). The area the spotter has indicated is essentially the forested space behind that office. Looks like they've alerted the police and have been assigned a incident number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998